Jump to content

Habs sign Ilya Kovalchuk


Recommended Posts

I don't believe in tanking. Never did. I like the fact that MB has offered the club at least SOME sort of help and isn't totally throwing in the towel on 2019-20 - not that I think Kovalchuk will do much. Scandella seems to me to be a more valuable acquisition (although still of somewhat modest value, in all probability).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I suspect the injuries played a role here.  We just called up Dale Weise.  Wouldn't you rather Kovalchuk in the lineup than him? 

You just spent two pages complaining that bergevin doesnt get enough talented players for free and now you complain when he does.

Jaded, conspiracy theorist Trizzak channels the negative hack, Brendon Kelly in way that is more entertaining than the original 

39 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't believe in tanking. Never did. I like the fact that MB has offered the club at least SOME sort of help and isn't totally throwing in the towel on 2019-20 - not that I think Kovalchuk will do much. Scandella seems to me to be a more valuable acquisition (although still of somewhat modest value, in all probability).

So you don't like the idea of getting an elite player? Why?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't believe in tanking. Never did. I like the fact that MB has offered the club at least SOME sort of help and isn't totally throwing in the towel on 2019-20 - not that I think Kovalchuk will do much. Scandella seems to me to be a more valuable acquisition (although still of somewhat modest value, in all probability).

There’s two ways to get a truly franchise player (preferably a centre), trade for him, or draft and develop him.  Wilson and Nill have are GM’s who who have been able to trade for one - Wilson actually has been successful in both options.  
 

in his 8 years MB has not been able to trade for that type of player and to date has not been able to draft one.  This year there are a couple of bonafide franchise players available in the top two (one also happens to be French) and a very deep draft after that. Add to that, the draft is in Montreal.  If there ever was a time to tank - this is it.  MB has had a top 3 pick twice before- not by design and may have screwed up one pick and the other draft didn’t really produce a true franchise player in the top 5.  
 

other than STL, every cup winner in the past 10 years has tanked to get a top pick or have traded assets to get top picks (ie Bruins).  You can’t win a cup with a team led by Drouin, Gallagher and Domi up front.  Maybe Suzuki becomes that player, but that’s a lot of hoping and he is more likely a good complementary piece.

 

I just can’t see MB being able to assemble a roster that can be a contender while price and Weber are still top players.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

so now that everyones done there crying or celebrating...

 

This zero risk move is a no brainer! Its basically an olive branch to an old star player who is playing for pride and love of hockey. It could be genius if it works. Now less we forget that it failed with Semin and again with Briere and again with Streit etc etc. Sooner or later the odds say he's gonna catch lightning in a bottle with one of these swing for the fences signings. I think this is the one 🥴 and it just might work short term! 🥴🥴 Kovalchuk is no doubt a very proud hockey player. He knows his prospects for next year are essentially over if he shits the bed with Montreal right now. And we can all agree that he's not doing it for the money as he left a kings fortune with NJ to go home to play as an example. Then he leaves a team again he captained to multiple KHL championships to try his luck in Hollywood. Like most films these days, it failed over there! maybe he belonged in Mtl all along! 🧐

 Did I mention he has been a juggernaut for any and every team he wore red  white and blue for! Haha 🙃

 

In all seriousness Id like to see him play with Tatar and Danault. He has a couple weeks maximum before Gallagher is back to prove his worth. Let's see what he's got in him?

MB has called him out as well so let's buckle up. This is a brilliant desperation move. There is literally NO RISK to try and strike gold with a proven champion!

 

I bet he comes out a blaze!! 🤒

 

 

Anyone arguing this is crazy. We are 6 players deep into depth with minor leaguers scratched and injured as well! We followed up an 0-8 run were we blew 4x 3rd period leads with a 7-3 run.

Now we are back to 4 straight losses and more injuries. The Montreal Canadiens need a fair amount of luck right now.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

so now that everyones done there crying or celebrating...

 

This zero risk move is a no brainer! Its basically an olive branch to an old star player who is playing for pride and love of hockey. It could be genius if it works. Now less we forget that it failed with Semin and again with Briere and again with Streit etc etc. Sooner or later the odds say he's gonna catch lightning in a bottle with one of these swing for the fences signings. I think this is the one 🥴 and it just might work short term! 🥴🥴 Kovalchuk is no doubt a very proud hockey player. He knows his prospects for next year are essentially over if he shits the bed with Montreal right now. And we can all agree that he's not doing it for the money as he left a kings fortune with NJ to go home to play as an example. Then he leaves a team again he captained to multiple KHL championships to try his luck in Hollywood. Like most films these days, it failed over there! maybe he belonged in Mtl all along! 🧐

 Did I mention he has been a juggernaut for any and every team he wore red  white and blue for! Haha 🙃

 

In all seriousness Id like to see him play with Tatar and Danault. He has a couple weeks maximum before Gallagher is back to prove his worth. Let's see what he's got in him?

MB has called him out as well so let's buckle up. This is a brilliant desperation move. There is literally NO RISK to try and strike gold with a proven champion!

 

I bet he comes out a blaze!! 🤒

 

 

Anyone arguing this is crazy. We are 6 players deep into depth with minor leaguers scratched and injured as well! We followed up an 0-8 run were we blew 4x 3rd period leads with a 7-3 run.

Now we are back to 4 straight losses and more injuries. The Montreal Canadiens need a fair amount of luck right now.

 

 

what's the bet🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

so now that everyones done there crying or celebrating...

 

This zero risk move is a no brainer! Its basically an olive branch to an old star player who is playing for pride and love of hockey. It could be genius if it works. Now less we forget that it failed with Semin and again with Briere and again with Streit etc etc. Sooner or later the odds say he's gonna catch lightning in a bottle with one of these swing for the fences signings. I think this is the one 🥴 and it just might work short term! 🥴🥴 Kovalchuk is no doubt a very proud hockey player. He knows his prospects for next year are essentially over if he shits the bed with Montreal right now. And we can all agree that he's not doing it for the money as he left a kings fortune with NJ to go home to play as an example. Then he leaves a team again he captained to multiple KHL championships to try his luck in Hollywood. Like most films these days, it failed over there! maybe he belonged in Mtl all along! 🧐

 Did I mention he has been a juggernaut for any and every team he wore red  white and blue for! Haha 🙃

 

In all seriousness Id like to see him play with Tatar and Danault. He has a couple weeks maximum before Gallagher is back to prove his worth. Let's see what he's got in him?

MB has called him out as well so let's buckle up. This is a brilliant desperation move. There is literally NO RISK to try and strike gold with a proven champion!

 

I bet he comes out a blaze!! 🤒

 

 

Anyone arguing this is crazy. We are 6 players deep into depth with minor leaguers scratched and injured as well! We followed up an 0-8 run were we blew 4x 3rd period leads with a 7-3 run.

Now we are back to 4 straight losses and more injuries. The Montreal Canadiens need a fair amount of luck right now.

 

 

I bet he does better than Barber and Weise combined. If he does I'll change my avatar to his picture on a habs jersey until the end of the season

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we should have something on the line?

 

How about we do this

if he does good for the habs and the habs make the playoffs Because of it then those who don't like the addition can't say anything bad about Bergevin till the All Star Game Next year.

 

And

 

If he does bad and we miss the playoffs then everyone who liked the signing has to give a like to everyone who didn't  on every post till the all star game next year.

 

So who's in or has a better bet ??

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

i bet he does better then McDavid and Draisital combined....

*sarcasm* Such a great evaluator of talent *sarcasm*

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just glad when I tune in I get to see what Kovalchuk in a Habs jersey looks like for a period of time. That's it, not much extra thought put into it other than that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I quite enjoy my Weber jersey but depending on how long Kovalchuk plays for the Habs, I may have to see what I look like in a Habs Kovalchuk jersey. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did  nobody read what Kovi said when he left LA? He wanted to sign with a contender. So he sees us as,..... Ok stretching it. I am happy with MBs moves in the last 48. Improved D and we needed a finisher. Kovi does have a release. Again, not expecting much, but cheap moves that help and dont hurt our prospect pool are perfect in my eye. 

Go Habs Go. We are not supposed to contend in my opinion for another 2 years anyway. Did anyone look at the lineup in September and think cup? Then why are so many so called fans bitching now? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you still own kovalev jerseys you just need to change a few letters.

Tanking? Im sure if we tank we lose the lottery and picks third overall and get another galchenyuk.

Better going for wins and hope for the best. 
Heres for Kovalev...   Chucky...    kovalchucky....   Kovalchuk to have a huge hotstreak with us and in best case helps us to the playoffs and worst case gets us something nice at the deadline.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If your picking number 3 overall for the 3rd time in the past several years, 

 

Your drafting department needs to do a better job

 

Im still not sold on KK 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris said:

If your picking number 3 overall for the 3rd time in the past several years, 

 

Your drafting department needs to do a better job

 

Im still not sold on KK 

 

 Contrary to popular belief, tanking guarantees neither a franchise player nor high-end future success. I agree with you on both Galy and KK, but it's worth adding that both were praised as excellent picks at the time. I take this as further reinforcement of my view that tanking guarantees absolutely zilch except a terrible season and further reinforcement of your team's rep as a loser with UFAs. 

 

David Pasternak was a 25th overall pick.Brad Marchand was a 71st overall pick. THAT'S why Boston is probably the best organization in the league and was able to retool into a second wave of Cup contention after missing only two playoffs: they draft and develop with real excellence and find elite players without drafting in the top 10. Boston can do it, but, of course, it is not even conceivable that the Habs work at that level. They-ve been mediocre for so long we now just accept it as immutable law.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Boston also was able to draft seguin and Hamilton.  Chiarelli stupidly traded them away, but they were able to obtain other teams lottery picks, which is what I’d like to see Montreal do.

 

they obtained those picks from Kessel, as another top 10 pick and also had the #1 pick when they picked Thornton.  When was the last time we picked #1 or 2?  Albeit we did screw that up as well by picking wickenheiser.

 

they have done a better job I’dsradting and developing - both forwards and Dmen, but they also have had lottery picks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Boston also was able to draft seguin and Hamilton.  Chiarelli stupidly traded them away, but they were able to obtain other teams lottery picks, which is what I’d like to see Montreal do.

 

they obtained those picks from Kessel, as another top 10 pick and also had the #1 pick when they picked Thornton.  When was the last time we picked #1 or 2?  Albeit we did screw that up as well by picking wickenheiser.

 

they have done a better job I’dsradting and developing - both forwards and Dmen, but they also have had lottery picks. 

 

We've had lottery picks too. And little to show for them, naturally.

 

The best players we've drafted after Price have been MaxPac at 22 and Subban at 43. Gally was a 5th rounder. All three are/were top-end core guys. For a window there - ironically under Gainey and Goat - we were getting it right.

 

I have no problem with trading the right player for high picks, but that's not necessarily the same as tanking, The Kessel trade was not part of a tank, for instance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Chris said:

How this drafting department gets a pass every year is crazy to me.

When did Habs draft Kovalchuk?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

We've had lottery picks too. And little to show for them, naturally.

 

The best players we've drafted after Price have been MaxPac at 22 and Subban at 43. Gally was a 5th rounder. All three are/were top-end core guys. For a window there - ironically under Gainey and Goat - we were getting it right.

 

I have no problem with trading the right player for high picks, but that's not necessarily the same as tanking, The Kessel trade was not part of a tank, for instance.

But Boston did do a purge the draft year they got I think it was the 14, 15, 16 picks.  They did not have to do a complete rebuild because they had Bergeron, Marchand, krejki, Chara, Rask and Krug, as well as a couple of other piecemeal.  Basically they had too legitimate #1 and #2 centres, top pairing D and wingers.  We’ve got price, Weber, Gallagher and you can generously add Tatar to that group.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

But Boston did do a purge the draft year they got I think it was the 14, 15, 16 picks.

 

And boy, did they ever screw that up.  Here's who they took and the three picks after:

 

13 - Jakub Zboril

14 - Jake DeBrusk

15 - Zach Senyshyn

16 - NYI - Mathew Barzal

17 - WPG - Kyle Connor

18 - OTT - Thomas Chabot

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

 

And boy, did they ever screw that up.  Here's who they took and the three picks after:

 

13 - Jakub Zboril

14 - Jake DeBrusk

15 - Zach Senyshyn

16 - NYI - Mathew Barzal

17 - WPG - Kyle Connor

18 - OTT - Thomas Chabot

Also wasnt Sweeny highly criticized for not being able to, willing to trade down with at least one of the 3 picks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...