Times have changed! (old lines)

huzer

Hehe...found an old game log from a game that I wrote a summary for HW. Here were the lines for the game against the Pens (I'm too lazy to try and figure out the date, October '03):

Bulis-Juneau-Dackell

Hossa-Ribeiro-Zednik

Ryder-Perreault-Audette

Sundstrom-Begin-Ward

I definitely think the Habs lineup has improved since then!

PS: Habs won 4-1, Ward, Zednik, Ribs, and Markov were the Habs goal scorers. Lemieux had his 67th career pt against the Habs with an assist on Straka's PP goal.

I guess Julien was still trying to figure out what would work for the team. Also there may have been injury considerations - Koivu isn't mentioned on that list.

I just found the 2003 roster and that's what that Julien had to work with. (http://www.hockeynut.com/monroster.html).

Yes, it certainly wasn't the best of line-ups and things have improved quite a lot since then. Another indication that Gainey is doing a super job at making this into a team that WILL strike fear into its opponents hearts.

Attago Bob

Originally posted by shortcat1

I guess Julien was still trying to figure out what would work for the team. Also there may have been injury considerations - Koivu isn't mentioned on that list.

I just found the 2003 roster and that's what that Julien had to work with. (http://www.hockeynut.com/monroster.html).

Yes, it certainly wasn't the best of line-ups and things have improved quite a lot since then. Another indication that Gainey is doing a super job at making this into a team that WILL strike fear into its opponents hearts.

Attago Bob

Yes, Koivu was injured to start the '03 season.

I'm guessing these are this season's lines:

Kovalev - Koivu - Zednik

Dagenais - Ribeiro - Ryder

Bonk - Bulis - Vandermeer

Sundstrom - Higgins - Perezhogin

Rivet - Markov

Souray - Komisarek

Streit - Dandenault

Theodore

Huet (inj)

Danis

Hossa, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, Chipchura, Hainsey will have a shot but may not make it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm happy with these lines... not a player I wouldn't want on my team and I can't wait to see that third line in action!

BULIS!

[Edited on 2005/8/17 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

I'd say the forwards are more likely to to be:

Kovalev - Koivu - Zednik

Perezhogin - Ribeiro - Ryder

Bulis- Bonk - Higgins

Sundstrom - Begin - Hossa

Maybe one rookie too many, but Hossa has to clear waivers to go to Hamilton and I doubt they went through the trouble of signing him just to lose him. I can't see Vandermeer getting a regular spot over Begin, though they may rotate him in for Philly and other "tough" games. I think Higgins is almost guaranteed a spot and Perez should get a chance to unseat Dags, who will hopefully drop to the bench/Hamilton as a nice injury replacement. I guess we'll see how training camp goes...

I agree Begin will be there over Vandermeer, remember the game when he lost three teeth and got like 10 stitches on his face in but was back on the bench for the third period -- that's grit, that's dedication!

Interesting speculation on the second line -- will it be Dagenais or Perezhogin or Bonk there? I also asked on another thread if anyone thinks Latendresse has a chance at cracking the lineup.

I don't agree with the idea that three rookies is too many.

In 1986, Montreal won the Stanley Cup with at least six rookies in their line-up.

Among them were Patrick Roy, Claude Lemieux, Kjell Dahlin, John Kordic, Stéphane Richer & Sergio Momesso.

There may have been others but I forget.

Not bad. Some pretty good players having super years. Not the usual thing to happen with so many rookies but all things are possible.

Sorry, I thought Bégin was gone... Oh, that's sick that we have him back this season! He's so good.. heheheh... ya I choose him over Vandermeer but I doubt Perezhogin will go from Hamilton to 2nd Line. And where's Dagenais on your list?

And I'd rather have Bonk as a great third-liner than an average 2nd liner. Besides, he'll go well with Bulis.

[Edited on 2005/8/17 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

You guys are missing Bouillon on the new lines...

Anywayz, thx Huzer for bringing those lines to our attention. Boy, how things have changed... and gladly, for the better.

To me, Bouillon is fighting with Hainsey for the role of SEVENTH defenseman. He'll only be a replacement.

Yeah it's nice to see that are team isn't so pathetic anymore!:P

Originally posted by High&Inside

I would leave a forward spot open for someone in the waiver draft. BG tends to find a least one player who can contribute... in 03-04 he plucked Steve Begin.

No need to worry about losing player a the waiver draft and BG wn't be plucking any surprises for us this year. There is no more waiver draft under the new CBA. You can find his at the nhl's site:

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/index.html (about 2/3 of the way down)

Originally posted by Peter Puck

No need to worry about losing player a the waiver draft and BG wn't be plucking any surprises for us this year. There is no more waiver draft under the new CBA. You can find his at the nhl's site:

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/index.html (about 2/3 of the way down)

I am glad to hear that because one of my concerns was that, since we have quite a few legitimate prospects, we would likely lose one or two of those.

I know that we gained with Bégin but, boy, did we lose BIG TIME when we lost Tomas Vokoun. Imagine a tandem of Théodore and Vokoun... no holes there at all in the back end.

The only problem might be the difficulties with having two legitimate #1 goalies. This hasn't worked very well in other situations that I know of.

At best, we could have traded one away for some sort of compensation, not the empty loss that we suffered.

(and that makes 250 and the NHL - Canadiens 4th line basher - just like my Henery Hawk - the MEAN ONE... YESSSSSSSSSSSS...) :D:clap::D

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

[Edited on 2005/8/17 by shortcat1]

Bouillon's supposed to have a breakout year but who do you suggest he replaces?

We have too many defenceman.

His only chance is in case of injuries and/or Rivet getting traded.

Originally posted by Dalhabs

Why aint someone answering me when I say that Bouillon will be better than most here think.

:)

I agree, you can't buy heart.

My silence was agreement!

:que::ghg::que::ghg::que:

The small silent voice is saying to you: "I have always liked Bouillon and am glad that he's playing for the Canadiens. He may not be the best one there but he plays with as much heart as two and with as much consistency as three or four defensemen. :bow:

He's a plus for our team." :/)

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

[Edited on 2005/8/17 by shortcat1]