Vinny

Habsrocket

Good...I don't want him on the Habs. Overrated by too many fans and the french media circus.

Originally posted by Habsrocket

TBL singed Vinny Lecavalier to a long term deal.

Terms were not disclosed.

link.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/185903.html

Yes, it does mention the terms in the article. It says, in the second paragrahp, that it's a four-year contract for 27,4 million.

We can kiss good-bye to the idea of getting him next year as a Free Agent. A trade is still a definite possibility but, at 6.85 million per year, can Montreal afford him?

I doubt it.

[Edited on 2005/8/16 by shortcat1]

I can remember about 2-3 years ago both him and his family were saying he was a huge Habs fan when he was growing up and how he would love the chance to play for Montreal......well, he had his chance.....all he had to do was play one more year in TB and he would have been an UFA at the end of the season but instead he desided to sign a four year deal with the Bolts........This really bugs the hell out of me because if he was such a die hard Habs fan like he and his family said he was , then his ultimate goal would be to play for the Canadiens. As far as I'm concerned, I hope he enjoys his next four years in Tampa....I hope he enjoys it that much he ends up signing another contract with them once this new one is up.......I don't ever want to see that loser playing for the Habs because he doesn't deserve to wear a Canadiens jersey.

[Edited on 2005/8/16 by Spider-Man NL]

[Edited on 2005/8/16 by Spider-Man NL]

"Loser"? Good grief! Sounds like a severe case of sour grapes.

Even if he was a Habs fan when he was younger and he would have liked to play for them, it doesn't follow that his loyalties can't change.

For our team's sake, its probably better anyway. It may very well be that he would not have fit in with the team chemistry. On top of that, at 6.85 million for one player, that's quite a load... it really cuts down on the playing room that Gainey would have had.

If fanpuck is correct about the Lightning being in a place of not being able to afford to sign both Richards or St. Louis, I'm quite confident in saying that it'll be St. Louis who will be let go. There are many teams that would be quite interested in him and likely Tampa Bay could get a couple of really good younger players with super potential.

Another case of the rich getting richer, even in this new economy.

In any case, this settles the issue and lets carry on to other things.

I don't get this. He's getting more per season (at $6.8M) than Joe Thornton and almost as much as Iginla. This guy won a cup, which is a great accomplishment, but come on, he's never even had an 80 pt season. When TB won the cup, I thought both Richards and St. Louis played better. Now, this guy is about to be paid as one of the top 10 forwards in the game, and people think Syd Crosby has a lot to live up to.

Ahhhh, I never understood the economics of this game before the cup and I sure as hell don't now.

This should be interesting to see how much St.Louis will get now. It's not like he didn't score more points than Vinny...no wait, HE DID! He won the Art Ross trophy. Unless he gets more, watch the "you're not a proven player in the NHL yet" card being played on him.

Jay Feaster just shot himself in the foot in my opinion with this lucrative signing.

Or maybe Feaster planned to trade Lecavalier to a team in the same division/conference and wanted to give Lecavalier a huge contrat to screw the other team payroll..??

Didn't Lecavalier said he was ready to take a paycut so the Bolts can keep the core of the team?

I don't get it at all. I guess he'll be traded soon.

Originally posted by sakiqc

Or maybe Feaster planned to trade Lecavalier to a team in the same division/conference and wanted to give Lecavalier a huge contrat to screw the other team payroll..??

Didn't Lecavalier said he was ready to take a paycut so the Bolts can keep the core of the team?

I don't get it at all. I guess he'll be traded soon.

Players say that all the time...but its their agents that do their dirty work.

I'm sure this scenario will happen to Theodore when he signs. He said it on television more than once that he wants to play in Montreal and sign a long term deal if the money was right.

Watch Don Meehan, his douche bag agent, get him a deal in the area of 5 million a season (my guess is 5.5 million actually). You can smell it that Meehan is going to push the 6 million a season border.

I remember hearing when the rumor going around was a 4 year deal worth 22 million. Sounded obscur at the time but now it makes some sense. Who knows, maybe I'm the only one getting this impression.

Originally posted by Spider-Man NL

I can remember about 2-3 years ago both him and his family were saying he was a huge Habs fan when he was growing up and how he would love the chance to play for Montreal......well, he had his chance.....all he had to do was play one more year in TB and he would have been an UFA at the end of the season but instead he desided to sign a four year deal with the Bolts........This really bugs the hell out of me because if he was such a die hard Habs fan like he and his family said he was , then his ultimate goal would be to play for the Canadiens. As far as I'm concerned, I hope he enjoys his next four years in Tampa....I hope he enjoys it that much he ends up signing another contract with them once this new one is up.......I don't ever want to see that loser playing for the Habs because he doesn't deserve to wear a Canadiens jersey.

Please relax.

Ryder was/is a huge Leafs fan. Is he a "loser" because he plays with us?

Originally posted by Macaskill

Still think Richards is better than Vinny.

I don't think many people will argue with you. Except for that idiot Yahoo "fantasy expert" who put Vinny in his top 50 and not Richards. Hopefully next week my comment will show up under his Big Board.

$6.85mil is very nearly 20% of the total team budget. Teams that pay a single player that much are taking a real serious gamble in the zero-sum game that is the new CBA.

Plus, as I wrote before, how do you think Richards and St-Louis feel about this contract, it's taking money out of their pockets. I'm glad the Habs are not paying anyone over $5mil, and I hope they don't give Theo that much -- not because he doesn't deserve it, but for the team's sake.

Originally posted by sakiqc ***edit: I meant Tony not sakiq, sorry***

Watch Don Meehan, his douche bag agent, get him a deal in the area of 5 million a season (my guess is 5.5 million actually). You can smell it that Meehan is going to push the 6 million a season border.

excellent description of agents, they are slimeballs, tempting like serpents -- "c'mon, sign for the money, you deserve it, think of your family, you care about their futuer, don't you? this is business, you have to trust me..." etc

they care nothing about the game, about loyalty, they think nothing other than how to go about upping their cut.

agents and lawyers = :devil:

[Edited on 17-8-05 by JeanLucPilon]

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon

excellent description of agents, they are slimeballs, tempting like serpents -- "c'mon, sign for the money, you deserve it, think of your family, you care about their futuer, don't you? this is business, you have to trust me..." etc

they care nothing about the game, about loyalty, they think nothing other than how to go about upping their cut.

agents and lawyers = :devil:

I said that? lol I don't think.. That was Tony. But I agree anyways :D

The worst agent I saw so far is Rosenhaus, Terrell Owens' agent. I was in Philly this summer and had to read about all the shit he is doing. He doesn't care a player has a contract. He wants to renegociate it..:wall:

[Edited on 2005-8-17 by sakiqc]

sorry fixed that -- I think you, me, and everyone agrees about agents!

I always thought the debate on whether it was players or owners who messed up hockey left out possibly the most culpable parties of all -- those fuggin agents!

Speaking of crass, the very idea of wanting to renegotiate a contract is crass and unfaithful to the extreme. I have to give credit to people like Brodeur and Luongo who honour their contract despite the fact that they know that if they Yashined it, they could get more.

But, on topic, Tampa Bay has surely painted themselves into a corner with this contract. They've really cut down their cap room and they've sown a seed of dissention in their players. I hope, for their sakes, that St. Louis and Richards are class people and not budding prima donnas.

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon

sorry fixed that -- I think you, me, and everyone agrees about agents!

I always thought the debate on whether it was players or owners who messed up hockey left out possibly the most culpable parties of all -- those fuggin agents!

I couldn't agree more with that.

I used to be more active on hockeytraderumours and I tried introducing that very topic for discussion, that is that the agents were, in fact, major contributors to the situation that led up to the lock-out last year.

It's a good thing that there's a financial limit/restriction put on salaries now because it should go a long way in putting the brakes on these ridiculous demands.

Over-rated. Period. I agree with all those who never need to see him in "La Sainte Flanelle". We need to let some of our young up & comers prove themselves before we start looking at this type of player. I just don't know if Vinny could handle Montréal...

I think we are better off without him, and there are many guys that i would prefer to see in a Habs uni before him. He is nowhere near the consistent, dominant talent of a Thornton or Iginla.

Yup, R.I.P. Vinny Rumours. I'm sort of glad, was tired of the "next year we'll get Vinny" line, which sounded like an excuse to not do our best right now!