Jonathan Aitken

kaos

I have heard a rumour that Montreal has inked a Jonathan Aitken to a contract? Anybody heard this?

I guess he's a defensman out of the Vancouver franchise. Big Guy, like 6-4 220, but apparentley no skill? Maybe Gainey is filling in the Hamilton team?

I can't find details of this anywhere though

If Peter Puck is correct, that's quite a fall for a 7th overall pick in 1996.

Mind you, the first round of that year wasn't a very fruitful one. Chris Phillips, J. P. Dumont, Ruslan Salei, Richard Jackman, Derek Morris and Daniel Brière are the only ones that went anywhere, so far as I understand. Our pick that year was Matt Higgins - par for the course for most teams that year.

That year, 'we' also picked Mathieu Garon, Arron Asham (trade to the Islanders) & Brett Clark (defenseman who played two years for the Canadiens). On the whole, not that bad really, compared to other team's successes.

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

[Edited on 2005/8/16 by shortcat1]

This is from Slam sports October 2,2004

If they used the guy as a "fill-in forward" he must be able to skate reasonably well. Maybe he will be a surprise in training camp:/)

Career back on track

Aitken found Canuck offer too good to refuse

By KEN WIEBE, STAFF REPORTER

Jonathan Aitken said Vancouver's offer was too good to refuse. (Bruce Bennett Studios)

Jonathan Aitken admits his youthful exuberance likely sped up his departure from the organization that made him a high first-round pick eight years ago. Aitken, selected eighth overall in the 1996 NHL entry draft by the Boston Bruins, took time to discuss the falling out he had with Providence Bruins head coach Bill Armstrong during a break at Manitoba Moose training camp yesterday.

"We didn't see eye-to-eye on some things and when I did play, he used me as a fill-in forward," said Aitken, a rugged defenceman who signed with the Vancouver Canucks during the off-season. "I'm not the kind of guy to point fingers and say it was all their fault. I was young. It was unfortunate. I asked Boston to loan me out to another team and when they wouldn't, I knew I wasn't going to help myself by sitting in the stands."

Rather than let the situation deteriorate any further, Aitken and his agents Ritchie Winter and Gerry Johannson of The Sports Corporation negotiated a buyout from the Bruins in November of 2000. After failing to find another suitor in North America, Aitken signed with Sparta Praha of the Czech League, where he played 24 games.

"Going to Europe wasn't my first choice, I was looking for another job in the AHL at that time," said Aitken, a 6-foot-4, 230-pounder from Edmonton. "I don't regret going there because it was a good learning experience but it's not a part of my career I'm not particularly proud of."

Looking back, Aitken doesn't feel he was overwhelmed by the high expectations placed on him as a high draft pick.

Wasn't a burden

"I don't know, it wasn't a burden or anything," he said. "But being young and a little bit naive, you might think that you automatically should get that opportunity and that they'd want to give you that opportunity. I thought I was making a progression and obviously it wasn't good enough."

Aitken has a local connection to Manitoba, since he met his wife Kendra while playing for the Brandon Wheat Kings.

The towering blue-liner spent two seasons with the Wheat Kings. Brandon advanced to the WHL championship final in his final season before bowing out to the Portland Winter Hawks, who were led by current Ottawa Senators sniper Marian Hossa.

Aitken spent much of the past two-and-a-half seasons with the Norfolk Admirals, but also got into 41 games with the Chicago Blackhawks last year.

He fully expected to re-sign with the Blackhawks but when July 1 rolled around, his agents got a call from the Canucks, who made a substantial offer.

"It came out of nowhere and my agent couldn't get a hold of me on my cellphone because we were out camping with the in-laws," said Aitken, who has one assist and 70 penalty minutes in 44 career NHL games. "Vancouver was looking for a solid 6th, 7th or 8th defencemen who can play that physical, intimidating role on the back end on a consistent basis. It looked like a good fit."

Moose goalie Alex Auld likes the look of the revamped defence corps.

"The best thing about this year's group is that it's pretty diverse," said Auld. "In the past we've always, right through the organization, (had) the same type of defencemen, good all-around guys who can move the puck well.

"We've lacked the physical presence, with the exception of Marty Grenier for a little bit last year, so it's good that we're going to have all different types of defencemen. That's important."

Yes, TSN.ca has an article about the signings of Plekanec AND AITKEN. (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=133691)

I wonder if his experience is and will be that of another Chad Kilger or, worse, a Bryan Fogarty. :(

For his sake, I hope not. Maybe Gainey has found a fellow who can be helped to become the player that he was 'destined' to be. I haven't seen that to be the case as in the two examples above but there's always the possibilities.

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

I found a couple of URL's with information about Aitken, and one has a fight clip of his which was a one-punch knockout. From what I read, Aitken sounds like a defensive dman with some good fighting ability, who occasionally makes mistakes behind the blueline. He is a hard working guy, who plays within his ability. He sounds like a decent 7th defenceman, who will fill in with the Habs in case of injuries.

Aitken Information

Aitken vs. John Tripp

Looks to me as a depth move for the Bulldogs. Unless Aitken has an incredible camp, I dont see him leap over Bouillon or Hainsey in the depth chart so he's likely to go to Hamilton.

But he could be our 7th d-man if Rivet finally leaves. (Hey, one can dream, can't he?)

What happens if we land ourselves in a playoff series against Philly?

Here comes Aitken.

What happens when we play the Leafs?

GINOOOOOOOOOO!! Where are you!!!!???

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

What happens if we land ourselves in a playoff series against Philly?

Here comes Aitken.

What happens when we play the Leafs?

GINOOOOOOOOOO!! Where are you!!!!???

We'll just skate circles around them like we did vs Boston.

I dont sweat big slow teams like the Leafs. I'm scared of the skilled speedy teams like Tampa (although no Bulin Wall is a setback for them).

Originally posted by shortcat1

I wonder if his experience is and will be that of another Chad Kilger or, worse, a Bryan Fogarty. :(

I don't know about you but it sounds kind of wrong to insult a dead guy (refering to Fogarty).

Originally posted by kaos

I have heard a rumour that Montreal has inked a Jonathan Aitken to a contract? Anybody heard this?

I guess he's a defensman out of the Vancouver franchise. Big Guy, like 6-4 220, but apparentley no skill? Maybe Gainey is filling in the Hamilton team?

I can't find details of this anywhere though

Isn't he the guy from American Idol?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Originally posted by Tony
Originally posted by shortcat1

I don't know about you but it sounds kind of wrong to insult a dead guy (refering to Fogarty).

I'm not insulting a dead guy. I'm simply refering to his experience as an example for how some players were so hyped to be great and then struggled really badly.

I like Kilger because he kept on trying and trying and trying but it just never connected. By the way, Fogarty played for Montreal for a while and never clicked with them either. Later, I read about his personal difficulties and how this really dragged down his potential (and he had a lot).

He's not the only one, of course but, in my knowledge, his example is one that is public knowldege and therefore readily refered to.

I always try to be respectful of all of the people with which I am associated and about which I'm talking. The golden rule, you know....

Originally posted by ap79

We'll just skate circles around them like we did vs Boston.

I dont sweat big slow teams like the Leafs. I'm scared of the skilled speedy teams like Tampa (although no Bulin Wall is a setback for them).

The point is that sometimes you will need an extra boost in size and he'll be called up. We might not be scared of the TO ogres but I asure you, half the opposition do.

Especially in the play-offs because you play the same team several times and if your guys are getting crushed every time they approach the boards then you needa add guys like Vandermeer and Aitken to the line-up.

• 2 weeks later...