Battle of the Titans 7:30 Jan7 2020

DON

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't think they will do anything rash. Realistically any hopes of a playoff spot are pretty much gone.  They would have to go at least 15 games above 500 the rest of the year to have a chance. Not going to happen.

To have a chance, I think we would need 94 points, same as last year. That would be 51 points in 38 games. Yes, a rather tall order, especially as we are still missing Gallagher, Armia and Drouin for a while.

I've personally written off this season now. I'll try to enjoy the moments (Lehkonen breakaway, Kovalchuk pass etc) but otherwise look forward to June.

Just now, tomh009 said:

To have a chance, I think we would need 94 points, same as last year. That would be 51 points in 38 games. Yes, a rather tall order, especially as we are still missing Gallagher, Armia and Drouin for a while.

I've personally written off this season now. I'll try to enjoy the moments (Lehkonen breakaway, Kovalchuk pass etc) but otherwise look forward to June.

96pts last year.

1 minute ago, Habsfan89 said:

Wonder how much more of this Price is going to take. In that press conference yesterday he looked like he was at his breaking point.

Well ... Lindgren played a decent game tonight. If he could keep that up, I'd be happy with a Lindgren-Primeau tandem.

Just now, tomh009 said:

Well ... Lindgren played a decent game tonight. If he could keep that up, I'd be happy with a Lindgren-Primeau tandem.

I think Primeau is certainly the key to their long term prospects but his development would be much better with a veteran goalie to tutor him. 

1 minute ago, Scott462 said:

I think Montreal should start to seriously consider being sellers at the deadline.

I don't think there is much doubt they will be sellers at the deadline, the big question is how long before the deadline will they make that decision.

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't think there is much doubt they will be sellers at the deadline, the big question is how long before the deadline will they make that decision.

I would start right after the all star game. Let the league know Price, Weber, Tatar and Petry are all available. Get as much first rounders and prospects. Then if you don't land the 1st overall pick you can trade for it.

2 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I would start right after the all star game. Let the league know Price, Weber, Tatar and Petry are all available. Get as much first rounders and prospects. Then if you don't land the 1st overall pick you can trade for it.

I expect MB will get a lot of phone calls. They have some excellent veterans who would give any playoff team a huge boost. They need to find a partner that really really wants to win this year to get maximum bang for the buck. 

3 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I think Montreal should start to seriously consider being sellers at the deadline.

If you're referring to selling pure rentals, those few players are Kovalchuk, Scandella, and Thompson. Not a great haul of prospects coming back there.

If you're thinking more in the way of selling guys with term, we'll see if management has decided they don't want to try for a playoff spot next year if guys like Weber, Tatar, or Petry get dealt. 

17 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Only guy I wouldn't trade would be Gallagher. Make him the new captain if you trade weber.

I think the list will be longer than that, this won’t be a full scorched-earth rebuild. We have strong young core, it’s just not quite enough — or soon enough.

Back to the game: Kovalchuk with 2 points tonight. Suzuki doing everything right offensively and a whole lot wrong defensively lately. I think Nate Thompson has looked tired and should probably sit a game, but you know Claude with "his guys." No comment on Lehkonen's recent offense... how dare he try to give me hope in him again. 

14 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think the list will be longer than that, this won’t be a full scorched-earth rebuild. We have strong young core, it’s just not quite enough — or soon enough.

Yeah I am talking about the veterans on the team. Would keep Gallagher let him lead our new young core.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Good question. He has been pretty frustrated this season. 

Is a Patrick Roy-like meltdown coming soon?:scared: