Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Habsfan89

No other thing to do but clean house and start over.

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, Chris said:

Habs take a lot of shots from far away with no screens, 

 

just cross the blue line and throw it at the net, 

 

Ghallagher and Armia play how many minutes per game? Definitely screened shots and net front presences when they are out there so I don't see where you are going with this.

 

The stats all look founded, the logic behind what they mean and what is happening is certainly connected. With that said though, at the end of the day this team was just not good enough yet to be a sure fire playoff team while dealing with the kind of key injuries to key players it dealt with in the first half of the season. That is not an excuse, it is a reality, we are not an elite team, and only elite teams can still keep their heads above water while losing some of their best players for long periods of time, that's it, that's all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Penguins would disagree, 

 

They missed Malkin and Crosby for significant time and have several more injuries, 

 

they managed to stay in a playoff spot with an unimpressive roster all year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, illWill said:

Is there a stat that differentiates between a Nick Cousins and Alex Ovechkin shot in the slot? 

 

It seems like the Habs always have excellent scoring chances but can't convert, but then the opposition merely buries it when given the opportunity. 

 

That's the difference between a high-danger scoring chance and ... a goal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chris said:

The Penguins would disagree, 

 

They missed Malkin and Crosby for significant time and have several more injuries, 

 

they managed to stay in a playoff spot with an unimpressive roster all year 

 

 

Unimpressive...

 

They have exactly 4 players producing at over a point per game rate atm, and are being back stopped by a goalie having the season of his life with a .929 SV%. 

 

Surely you can find the differences between us and them as far as where they are at in their arc as a team and where we are at?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Link67 said:

 

 

Unimpressive...

 

They have exactly 4 players producing at over a point per game rate atm, and are being back stopped by a goalie having the season of his life with a .929 SV%. 

 

Surely you can find the differences between us and them as far as where they are at in their arc as a team and where we are at?

Jarry has been lights out... If Price was playing that calibre of hockey all season and with the Habs being in almost every game they play ( the league lead in 1 goal games... i"m sure even these injuries weve faced  would not have been a problem!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 9:34 PM, illWill said:

Is there a stat that differentiates between a Nick Cousins and Alex Ovechkin shot in the slot? 

 

It seems like the Habs always have excellent scoring chances but can't convert, but then the opposition merely buries it when given the opportunity. 

 

Ovechkin is great obviously and has a career shooting percentage of 12.7%.

 

Thats only a little bit better than the average nhl forward who shoots between 8-10% (cousins is 8.3 btw). 

 

The main difference is that ovechkin is always the league leader in shots.  He generates shots at a fantastic clip.  With a 4% difference in shooting percentage .. he is only getting about 10 more goals than cousins in a season based on his %.  The other 30-35 more per season he scores is based on quantity of shots.  He just gets himself into position to shoot more often.

 

 

Now of course this is comparing one 1st line elite player..  vs 1 fourth liner.

 

When you include all of washingtons players including their fourth line... and all of montreals including Tomas Tatars career 13.1% shooting percentage (note better career % than ovi)... gallagher's 9.9 career.... amd others...

 

You realize that on a team wide basis... quantity of shots is a better predictor of future goals than shooting percentage.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To end up with the same record as last year Montreal would have to go 22-8-1 in it's last 31 games.  Not impossible but very tough especially missing some key guys. And that wasn't good enough to make the playoffs last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

To end up with the same record as last year Montreal would have to go 22-8-1 in it's last 31 games.  Not impossible but very tough especially missing some key guys. And that wasn't good enough to make the playoffs last year. 

It basically boils down to 4-game segments in the schedule of the Habs winning 3 of 4 games for the rest of the year. They're already down their one loss from tonight, and coincidentally their next 3 games are all against teams they're directly chasing:

 

Wsh(L) - Buf - Fla - Cbj

Njd - Ana - Tor - Ari

Bos - Pit - Dal - Det

Wsh - Ott - Van - Nyr

Car - Nyi - Tbl - Fla

Nsh - Buf - Ana - Lak

Sjs - Col - Buf - Fla

Nyi - Chi - Nsh - Tor

 

Red teams are home games. Bold teams are against teams they are chasing for a wild card / division spot, and essentially "must win" games.

 

For those that still believe, well ^ there's the road map. For the rest of us, by points percentage the Habs are closer to 2nd last than they are to the final wild card spot. #TeamTank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many times in the past 10 years have people been on team tank? And what exactly has rooting for such achieved? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Team cup hasnt been very successful for 27 years either

 

I think fans like myself don't have a clkue what his plan is, he wants everything both ways

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the organization’s goal this year was made pretty clear, in that they are trying to make the playoffs this season. 
 

If we lose a few more games, this plan should change by the deadline. 

 

Yes, we haven’t won a cup in 27 years, but at least I have been watching games wanting the Habs to win throughout that period. If I were watching games hoping for them to lose, it still wouldn’t change the fact they haven’t won in 27 years. 
 

I still don’t understand what rooting for the Habs to lose has done in a positive manner over the years. This isn’t the first time people are hoping for it; That would be an outlier and understandable perhaps based on circumstance. Instead, rooting for the team to lose has happened many years in the recent past. What exactly has come out of it for those who root for the team to lose? We’re still in the same boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Chris said:

Team cup hasnt been very successful for 27 years either

 

I think fans like myself don't have a clkue what his plan is, he wants everything both ways

 

The team is tanking nicely on its own, irrespective of anything management is doing.

 

Regarding the wider theme of trading away all of our quality veterans (Weber, Petry, Tatar, Price being the four which would be likely to yield an impactful return), if that's on the table then I say no. We have a lot of young players in important roles on the club (Domi, Drouin, KK, Suzuki, Poehling, Lehkonen, Mete, Fleury) and two blue-chippers still in the system (Caulfield and Romanov). That's half a roster! Just dealing away all the vets for picks and prospects will likely cause the team to be a bottom-feeder for the next half-decade. At that stage, many of the guys I just listed will be approaching 30, so what then? Trade them all away for more picks and prospects? At some point you need to get off the carousel and start focusing on winning.

 

I think we have to look at this organization as about 75% rebuilt. That is, we have a big crop of young players, plus those two blue-chip prospects coming, whomever we draft with this year's high pick, and other decent prospects like Brook in the mix. Blowing up the organization makes no sense under those circumstances.

 

That said, I have long maintained, and continue to believe, that the emerging rebuilt Habs do not look like a contending team. The youth wave lacks a critical mass of elite talent IMHO (of the ones listed above, only Suzuki is a guaranteed impact player). Therefore, I would be looking to trade selected veterans in the hope of putting the club in a position to add at least 1-2 more impact prospects. Trading Price would be my go-to strategy but there are a lot of constraints on that idea. So my fall-back would be Petry and Tatar. The loss of Weber would be catastrophic, so him I would keep as a transitional figure in Habs history, basically wasted on Bergevin's incompetence, just as Price has been. 

 

So yes to trading selected vets. No to trading most or all of them.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The challenge with those two impact prospects we would like is that they are not guaranteed to become impact players, either. If they are solid top-end prospects, maybe we could assume one out of the two will. Of course we could get lucky and both will, but we could also be unlucky and neither one turns into the player we are expecting.

 

That said ... between Tatar and Petry, if we only traded one, I think it should be Tatar. Simply because our depth situation up front (especially once we get into next season) is significantly better than our defensive depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The challenge with those two impact prospects we would like is that they are not guaranteed to become impact players, either. If they are solid top-end prospects, maybe we could assume one out of the two will. Of course we could get lucky and both will, but we could also be unlucky and neither one turns into the player we are expecting.

 

That said ... between Tatar and Petry, if we only traded one, I think it should be Tatar. Simply because our depth situation up front (especially once we get into next season) is significantly better than our defensive depth.

 

Agree that trading Petry and/or Tatar will not guarantee impact prospects, but we should make the attempt. You have to trust your scouts at that point, and the Habs do have a pretty decent track record with trades like that (Danault, Suzki, even Domi).

 

I also agree that Tatar is a no-brainer trade. Petry is the tougher call, but personally I think he's too old and not elite enough to invest in as a 33-year-old. Trade him in the knowledge that you will not resign him in his UFA year (2020-21) anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

So yes to trading selected vets. No to trading most or all of them.

 

 

 

Those are my thoughts as well.  Young players need role models and mentors, can't trade all the vets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 6:09 PM, Chris said:

No clue what an expected goal is, but either you shoot and score or you dont. 

 

All those fancy stats the past 3 years havent gotten a playoff spot 

 

YA! Stop being ignorant! The professional blogger needs you to accept his rational and doesnt care if you aren't a professional blogger. Respect his mastery and submit to his clearly superior rational. P.S. How dare you have an opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, nihilz said:

 

YA! Stop being ignorant! The professional blogger needs you to accept his rational and doesnt care if you aren't a professional blogger. Respect his mastery and submit to his clearly superior rational. P.S. How dare you have an opinion.

I take it you also aren't a fan of the stat police on here. Thats why I stopped naming names of players we should try a trade for. There's people on here that always want you to name names just so they can discredit your comment with stats. If you don't put names then they can't argue your point because they can't put stats in their argument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Normally in sports forums, people disagree on things. It's ok to disagree. I like stats. Half the people agree. I like fights. Few people agree.  I dont get annoyed with them for not liking fights. And I'm not gonna stop liking them. It's ok to disagree. It's also ok to say why. 

 

I disagree with the negativity this year. I would keep the team together for one more year. This team is better than their record. Scandella and kovalchuk on a healthy roster make this a playoff team imo next year. It's ok to disagree with me though.  I wont be mad about it.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Normally in sports forums, people disagree on things. It's ok to disagree. I like stats. Half the people agree. I like fights. Few people agree.  I dont get annoyed with them for not liking fights. And I'm not gonna stop liking them. It's ok to disagree. It's also ok to say why. 

 

I disagree with the negativity this year. I would keep the team together for one more year. This team is better than their record. Scandella and kovalchuk on a healthy roster make this a playoff team imo next year. It's ok to disagree with me though.  I wont be mad about it.

 

You just get certain people who do nothing but take shots at others. 

 

Heck there is one poster, who hasn't posted in several months, who came back here just to make one post to take a personal shot at me. 

in fact if you look at his profile, his last 6 posts have all been personal shots at me.  


the last time he posted something that was actually a real post, and not a personal attack, was June 30, 2019.... so I dont think it even has to do with the negativity of this season... he's just wants to make things personal and doesn't have anything of actual substance to say at all.   Hence why I call him a clown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

You just get certain people who do nothing but take shots at others. 

 

Heck there is one poster, who hasn't posted in several months, who came back here just to make one post to take a personal shot at me. 

in fact if you look at his profile, his last 6 posts have all been personal shots at me.  


the last time he posted something that was actually a real post, and not a personal attack, was June 30, 2019.... so I dont think it even has to do with the negativity of this season... he's just wants to make things personal and doesn't have anything of actual substance to say at all.   Hence why I call him a clown. 

Hey if you're talking about me my post It wasn't to you but  more at Don. He always ask for you to name a name just so he can discredit your argument with  stats. 

 

I know we have had disagreements on topics but it's just good convention to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Hey if you're talking about me my post It wasn't to you but  more at Don. He always ask for you to name a name just so he can discredit your argument with  stats. 

 

I know we have had disagreements on topics but it's just good convention to me.

 

I wasn't talking about you.

I was talking about Nihilz.  He's made 6 posts total in 6 months... all of them have been to take a shot at me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahhhhhh. I get it. 
 

That is what the cute clown was about!

 

I thought for a second it about my jabs at trying to be funny 🙃

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Commandant said:

 

You just get certain people who do nothing but take shots at others. 

 

Heck there is one poster, who hasn't posted in several months, who came back here just to make one post to take a personal shot at me. 

in fact if you look at his profile, his last 6 posts have all been personal shots at me.  


the last time he posted something that was actually a real post, and not a personal attack, was June 30, 2019.... so I dont think it even has to do with the negativity of this season... he's just wants to make things personal and doesn't have anything of actual substance to say at all.   Hence why I call him a clown. 

NERD!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Commandant said:

 

I wasn't talking about you.

I was talking about Nihilz.  He's made 6 posts total in 6 months... all of them have been to take a shot at me. 

 

Yup. I come back to this site. Just to shake you off your self proclaimed perch on your thrown of bologna. You are what's wrong with being a hockey fan, more importantly, a Habs fan. Media is awful. But basement douches with no life and key boards as their girlfriends that battle semantic with such self righteous jargon and stats that belittle other peoples eye tests/opinions, make me foul to my soul. And you embody this to me. Tony Marinaro with less clout and more ego.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...