Do Habs get 🔥 tonight or put out the Flame 🤔 GT 7pm

Habsfan89

Pittsburgh doesnt seem to have a problem when there top 6 players are out of the line up

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses. 

This will be missing playoffs 4 out 5 years 

What's the excuse for that? 

McDavid was the 4th time Edmonton had a first overall.  The first three didnt help... and Im sorry Lafreniere is no mcdavid.  Hes also no crosby or ovechkin.  Hes not at that level and no one in this draft is.  Those were super special prospects. 

These type of players arent in every draft.  This is a good draft by depth and Lafreniere is the best player in it.  But hes by no means that level of generational talent.

So yeah it might have worked for those teams... but that doesnt mean all first overalls are equal... and edmonton had 3.  New jersey has two recent forst overalls and its not happening.

How many tank jobs did Boston do?  

You can build a team without tanking... and there are teams that have been in the wilderness forever via tanking.  Where is Buffalo right now?

If we are totally out... great... winning doesnt help.

But we arent totally out with 35 games to go.  So i cant cheer for the team to lose.  What fun is that?

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

McDavid was the 4th time Edmonton had a first overall.  The first three didnt help... and Im sorry Lafreniere is no mcdavid.  Hes also no crosby or ovechkin.  Hes not at that level and no one in this draft is.  Those were super special prospects. 

These type of players arent in every draft.  This is a good draft by depth and Lafreniere is the best player in it.  But hes by no means that level of generational talent.

So yeah it might have worked for those teams... but that doesnt mean all first overalls are equal... and edmonton had 3.  New jersey has two recent forst overalls and its not happening.

How many tank jobs did Boston do?  

You can build a team without tanking... and there are teams that have been in the wilderness forever via tanking.  Where is Buffalo right now?

If we are totally out... great... winning doesnt help.

But we arent totally out with 35 games to go.  So i cant cheer for the team to lose.  What fun is that?

I guess your happy with the same old thing that goes on here in Montreal. I am not, we need talent and if we're not going to trade or sign UFA's for  talent then the only way to get it is by drafting in the top 5 of years when its a deep draft, not years in weak draft. I Am just tired of the same old excuses..... Oh if we didn't have all these injuries..... Oh if Price was better..... Oh we need to score more....excuses after excuse after excuse. I can't believe more people aren't tired of this. Every year we are out of the playoffs by the all star break, then what do we do in years of strong drafts we push for a playoff spot and always miss out. 

30 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I guess your happy with the same old thing that goes on here in Montreal. I am not, we need talent and if we're not going to trade or sign UFA's for  talent then the only way to get it is by drafting in the top 5 of years when its a deep draft, not years in weak draft. I Am just tired of the same old excuses..... Oh if we didn't have all these injuries..... Oh if Price was better..... Oh we need to score more....excuses after excuse after excuse. I can't believe more people aren't tired of this. Every year we are out of the playoffs by the all star break, then what do we do in years of strong drafts we push for a playoff spot and always miss out. 

It's not a matter of being happy with failure. Its objective analysis of recent past. I wanted MB fired. I think I started a fire mb thread early in his tenure. In the last 2 years, he has improved greatly, and I feel that if he continues, they will be strong for years to come. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris said:

It is possible to build a good team without tanking, 

Problem is MB is not the man to do it, We are year 8 out of a 5 year plan, 

The mandate completely changed in 2018. 

We are in year two of the new mandate.... 

34 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

It's not a matter of being happy with failure. Its objective analysis of recent past. I wanted MB fired. I think I started a fire mb thread early in his tenure. In the last 2 years, he has improved greatly, and I feel that if he continues, they will be strong for years to come. 

See this is my point, if we're building for the future we should be thinking lottery pick, not playoffs.

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

You want to know how edmonton got Mcdavid, or Pittsburgh got Crosby, or Tampa got Stamkos or Washington got Ovi?????    When these type of players are available in a draft year they try to give themselves the best odds possible to get the 1st overall pick to draft them. 

Crosby was just like Price a lottery pick, that had nothing to do with Pitt or Habs mgmt.

All teams out of playoffs try to get the #1 pick, isn't rocket science and is getting less and less predictable who gets #1.

10 minutes ago, DON said:

Crosby was just like Price a lottery pick, that had nothing to do with Pitt or Habs mgmt.

All teams out of playoffs try to get the #1 pick, isn't rocket science and is getting less and less predictable who gets #1.

But my whole point is if We're  looking toward the future with this organization we should be looking to a lottery pick to help that future. Not trying to just miss a playoff spot.

3 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

But my whole point is if We're  looking toward the future with this organization we should be looking to a lottery pick to help that future. Not trying to just miss a playoff spot.

If looking towards the future, shouldn't the focus be on developing Fleury, Mete, KK, Suzuki, Primeau, Poehling as best they can (playoff action and fighting for playoffs) and not worrying about 20% chance of drafting #1, which could easily be a potential Yakupov, unless you are Detroit and got nothing else to hope for.

44 minutes ago, Chris said:

Correct me if im wrong, 

if wind up 3rd worse, you can only drop 2 spots though? Correct

Why would you let MB fix the problem he created, Doesnt seem smart to me

The top three spots are now done by lottery so if the Habs wind up third-worst, they could pick anywhere from first to sixth.

The lottery changed a lot in recent years.  Finishing last used to give you over 48% odds to get first overall.  Now its 18.5%. What used to be a coin flip now means odds are you can finish last five years in a row and only get 1 first overall pick.

With those odds the benefit of tanking is greatly diminished.  Might as well go for it.

Its sports... the point is to try and win.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I agree with this post. MB has improved greatly over the past 2 years, obviously Molson gave him a mandate to build through the draft so MB didn't didn't feel the pressure to sacrifice the future to get a  little better now. Although it might not feel like it today, I think the Habs are much better positioned for the future. 

Seriously though, no one has rebutted the fact that tanking ensures nothing based on the modern day percentages. 

I don’t have a child but when I do, I can’t imagine turning over to him during a teaching moment and stating, “Don’t worry Jimmy. It doesn’t matter that we’re losing 5-1 to the Toronto Maple Leafs on this Saturday night. This is a tanking season. It’s better for our team to put in worse players and exert less effort, so we can lose and drop down in the standings. We want to draft high. I want you to remember to play that way when you make the NHL, Jimmy. Promise me that. Always think about external circumstances. Don’t focus on personal growth and doing your best every game when it’s better for the team to lose in the long run.”

It’s only in recent years that I’ve witnessed teams wanting to lose in various sports, and even worse, fans. I’m glad that I was oblivious to it when I was younger because even when our team was bad, I remember looking forward to hockey games during school hours when I was a kid. I consider it borderline trolling, because it’s been stated that tanking ensures nothing. Perhaps in the last 10 games of the year, it could be something to look at when your team is out of the race, but not so early in the season. Jimmy won’t be allowed to come read these forums during our down years. 

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Seriously though, no one has rebutted the fact that tanking ensures nothing based on the modern day percentages. 

I don’t have a child but when I do, I can’t imagine turning over to him during a teaching moment and stating, “Don’t worry Jimmy. It doesn’t matter that we’re losing 5-1 to the Toronto Maple Leafs on this Saturday night. This is a tanking season. It’s better for our team to put in worse players and exert less effort, so we can lose and drop down in the standings. We want to draft high. I want you to remember to play that way when you make the NHL, Jimmy. Promise me that. Always think about external circumstances. Don’t focus on personal growth and doing your best every game when it’s better for the team to lose in the long run.”

It’s only in recent years that I’ve witnessed teams wanting to lose in various sports, and even worse, fans. I’m glad that I was oblivious to it when I was younger because even when our team was bad, I remember looking forward to hockey games during school hours when I was a kid. I consider it borderline trolling, because it’s been stated that tanking ensures nothing. Perhaps in the last 10 games of the year, it could be something to look at when your team is out of the race, but not so early in the season. Jimmy won’t be allowed to come read these forums during our down years. 

Players don't tank. Management does. 

I expect the players to try to win every game.