GDT: Hawks at Habs

Commandant

9 hours ago, Chris said:

They scored 1 freaking goal,

what does a back up goalie have to do with hat

You do realize that teams change the way they play based on the score of the game, right?

Gifting the hawks two goals early allows them to take less risks and play a more defensive game.

That said, the game isnt all Lindgrens fault... and i never said it was... hence the word "also".

Yes teams that score 1 goal dont win many games.  Teams that give up 4 goals also dont win many.

Awful game but when half your roster are 4th liners or AHLers what do we expect.

I found Julien's comments about Domi interesting. Paraphrasing here of course but CJ said, "It doesn't matter who we play in Domi's spot because it's not like Domi is going to score a bunch anyway."

Domi's penalty was indeed stupid and I'm happy that CJ called him out for it. I wonder what CJ and MB really think about Domi?

-Phoehling is NHL ready and I expect him to be a regular next year.

-when the roster is healthy I really want to see Kovalchuk - Kman - Armia. Kovalchuk makes insane passes that Cousins just can't handle but Kman has that heavy wrister and all three players are skilled.

-I'm probably in the minority but I like Kulak much more than Scandella

-Lindgren is not NHL ready

-I don't like this team but there isn't any one player that I don't like! Everyone works hard but we have too little skill.

-I don't like the speculation about Petry being traded. Who the hell is going to take his spot? I believe he is every bit as important to us as Markov was to us.

-I wish Molson would either hire a smart president or sell the team.

-2 amazing performances by Price gave me a spark of hope again but this team is not making the playoffs. Largely due to injuries (half of our top 6 are injured at the same time not to mention all the other injuries) but MB still should have gotten this team help in the summer.

12 hours ago, Chris said:

I wonder why Tatar doesnt hit the pine with all his dumb stick penalties 

12 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Like Domi is the only one taking dumb penalties on this team smh 

You disagree with benching?

Absolutely not, 

Im just  many habs players take dumb / lazy stick penalties, they dont get stapled to the bench

Tatar did get benched a bit after 3 or 4 games worth of dumb ones

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Awful game but when half your roster are 4th liners or AHLers what do we expect.

[...]

-Phoehling is NHL ready and I expect him to be a regular next year.

-when the roster is healthy I really want to see Kovalchuk - Kman - Armia. Kovalchuk makes insane passes that Cousins just can't handle but Kman has that heavy wrister and all three players are skilled.

-I'm probably in the minority but I like Kulak much more than Scandella

-Lindgren is not NHL ready

-I don't like this team but there isn't any one player that I don't like! Everyone works hard but we have too little skill.

-I don't like the speculation about Petry being traded. Who the hell is going to take his spot? I believe he is every bit as important to us as Markov was to us.

-I wish Molson would either hire a smart president or sell the team.

[...]

Petry has high value as a 4th defender on a cup contending team. Since the CH is not a contender, I would move him to give Fleury that spot and live through his development.

It gives the CH a better chance on the draft lottery.

I would package Petry with for example Kovalchuk (whom I like a lot) and a high prospect like Ikonen or Brook for a 1st round pick this year

13 hours ago, Neech said:

Petry has always been gaffe-prone.  We're seeing that Chiarot is of a similar mould, maybe worse.  Weber too, to a lesser extent.  Maybe our best defenders are just good for a few glaring miscues per game.

I don't remember previous iterations of this group being quite this hapless on the back end. Now maybe Weber has lost a bit of mobility with age, and maybe Chiarot is being over-extended (actually, there's no "maybe" about it). Petry I always saw as more cyclical, i.e., he'd go through bad patches. Could be a "death of a thousand cuts" thing.

Conversely, maybe in the past Price tended to cover up for the gaffes, and this year he's not doing it.

On the other hand, which A. Coach is responsible for the defence? Wasn't there a switch in responsibilities last summer - ? I forget, but it might be worth asking about that.

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Petry by himself would get you a prospect and a 1st,

Why would you have to add anything? 

It depends who you trade to. Some teams may ask for a prospect in addition to Petry. I am not sure Petry by himself would yield a 1st round draft. he is 32 and "gaffe prone"

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It depends who you trade to. Some teams may ask for a prospect in addition to Petry. I am not sure Petry by himself would yield a 1st round draft. he is 32 and "gaffe prone"

The comparable that hockey pundits have used is the Jake Muzzin trade from last year which was a 1st round pick, Sean Durzi (2nd round junior prospect), and Carl Grundstrom (2nd round AHL prospect.) Basically a 1st and two 2nds for an ~40 point, #3 defenceman with another year on his deal. That's the base line value for Petry. If Bergevin is offered less than that then there's no point in trading him this year. 

Winnipeg is almost assuredly on Petry's modified NTC list, but I could see them paying that price (if not a bit more) for Petry at the deadline. 

1 minute ago, Trizzak said:

The comparable that hockey pundits have used is the Jake Muzzin trade from last year which was a 1st round pick, Sean Durzi (2nd round junior prospect), and Carl Grundstrom (2nd round AHL prospect.) Basically a 1st and two 2nds for an ~40 point, #3 defenceman with another year on his deal. That's the base line value for Petry. If Bergevin is offered less than that then there's no point in trading him this year. 

Winnipeg is almost assuredly on Petry's modified NTC list, but I could see them paying that price (if not a bit more) for Petry at the deadline. 

Leafs?:ph34r:

22 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Nashville and Florida also come to mind as destination for Petry.

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Petry with 1.5 years on his contract is easily a first and high end prospect.  He should get more than Muzzin got last year 

Just now, Commandant said:

Petry with 1.5 years on his contract is easily a first and high end prospect.  He should get more than Muzzin got last year 

I am terrible at evaluating value of players for a draft; but if Petry has that high a value then wthe CH should definitively go for it

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

I am terrible at evaluating value of players for a draft; but if Petry has that high a value then wthe CH should definitively go for it

The CH probably want to keep Petry not just this season but for next season.

The moment you trade him you are now looking for 2 top 4 defencemen for next season instead of just one.

Going into the last season before the expansion draft, the D would be:

Chiarot-Weber

Romanov-Fleury

Scandela-Mete

Kulak/Brook(?)

Not a great D group, but can be patched

But it allows you to draft an extra time in the first round and probably two more times in the second round : that would be really good for the reset 

I dont think you worry about the expansion draft.  You add as many good players to your team as possible... if you lose one to expansion... meh, everyone loses one. 

Teams who got killed on the last expansion draft were the teams who overthought it. 

Teams who just said... we are going to build our team and if you take one player, you take our 11th best player, go ahead... and we will replace him. 

I also think the team will try to make the playoffs next season, so i dont see it as a season they will throw away with that defence. 

36 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Romanov-Fleury

Hmm, i just cant believe he is a lock to play 20minutes/game in the top four and play along side another young d-man.

The braincramps we have seen from Fleury and Suzuki over and over are natural for rookies and i dont see The Tsar stepping seamlessly into a top 4 role.