Game#49 Habs @ Philly 7:00 Jan 16 2020

DON

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Agreed... its not like LA was some stacked team and couldnt give him ice time.

Id honestly be good with another 1 year deal for kovy next season.  Even at considerably more money than this year

Indeed.

The guy still has something left in the tank. Montreal needs skill and he’s got it.

Watching the games... semin couldnt skate anymore in Montreal and never looked dangerous. Gis wrist sirgery also took away his shot.

Kovalchuk has been completely different.  I wouldnt worry at all that he becomes semin 2.0.

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

I just dont see a reason to re sign him

Remember, rebuild, get younger, more assets the new plan 

Have a Russian on the team to make Romanov's transition to North America easier.

With a young player who has two new languages to learn... having an older player who can speak with him would be invaluable.

Its not just throwing youngsters to the wolves... its nurturing and developing them.

Besides that its a player to look up to.  Ask gallagher how important gionta and gorges were.  Ask barkov and huberdeau what they learned from jagr.  Etc... etc...

1 minute ago, Chris said:

Don't get distracted by the shiney object, its 8 games 

I've watched enough stone-handed pluggers with 'character' fail to make plays and bury shots...I won't let you take enthusiasm for Kovalchuk away from me.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I dont wanna see kk do that anymore, but holy crap he was tossing haymakers.  Even had the sweater grab jab going. 

Love it, glad to see KK stick up for his teammate. Hopefully Poehling is OK?  Did he play after?  i didn't see the game. 

It’s unlikely that the return for Kovalchuk would be as valuable as he could potentially be. Other teams will know that we got him for nothing and won’t offer anything special regardless of his recent play. 

The opposing argument is that getting a 3rd rounder for Kovalchuk would be great because we got him for free.

My argument is getting Kovalchuk for free is more valuable than getting a 3rd round draft pick for free. There are other ways to obtain a 3rd rounder. 

18 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It’s unlikely that the return for Kovalchuk would be as valuable as he could potentially be. Other teams will know that we got him for nothing and won’t offer anything special regardless of his recent play. 

The opposing argument is that getting a 3rd rounder for Kovalchuk would be great because we got him for free.

My argument is getting Kovalchuk for free is more valuable than getting a 3rd round draft pick for free. There are other ways to obtain a 3rd rounder. 

Other teams know we got him for nothing but if he keeps playing like this and the Habs are out of the playoffs come the trading deadline then there may be a little bidding war driving up the price. A hot Kovy could be a very valuable addition for the right team. It all depends on whether they have a realistic chance at the playoffs come the deadline. I am just really happy to see him playing well given the money he gave up just so he could keep playing. A true sportsman. 

Kovalchuk has been a great asset since we signed him. His skating is powerful, his passes are deft and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a habs player snipe a wrister like that (and I’m 43).

On the topic of whether he can maintain this type of production. 

During his nhl career he’s played for Atlanta, New Jersey and the Kings.  Not exactly hockey hotbeds. 

Maybe playing for a storied team with a rabid fans base has re-ignited his passion. I also wouldn’t discount how close knit this group is (regardless of their record). 

Whether you keep him or flip for a 2nd or ride him through the year it’s a win win. Just enjoy the ride. 

9 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

9 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Other teams know we got him for nothing but if he keeps playing like this and the Habs are out of the playoffs come the trading deadline then there may be a little bidding war driving up the price. A hot Kovy could be a very valuable addition for the right team. It all depends on whether they have a realistic chance at the playoffs come the deadline. I am just really happy to see him playing well given the money he gave up just so he could keep playing. A true sportsman. 

52 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

Kovalchuk has been a great asset since we signed him. His skating is powerful, his passes are deft and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a habs player snipe a wrister like that (and I’m 43).

On the topic of whether he can maintain this type of production. 

During his nhl career he’s played for Atlanta, New Jersey and the Kings.  Not exactly hockey hotbeds. 

Maybe playing for a storied team with a rabid fans base has re-ignited his passion. I also wouldn’t discount how close knit this group is (regardless of their record). 

Whether you keep him or flip for a 2nd or ride him through the year it’s a win win. Just enjoy the ride. 

I share that sentiment  with regards to Kovalchuk.

The team needs to have skilled experienced players like him to learn how to be an impactful scorer at the NHL level, even if his production dips at some point.

I like a veteran group that includes: Weber, Price and Kovalchuk!

10 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Kovalchuk: *signs for peanuts, plays with renewed energy, inspires teammates, scores at a PPG clip*

Chris: "#### this waste of space, amirite?"

Trizzak, your imaginative dialogues crack me up. They are often the most entertaining content on here

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Kovalchuk: *signs for peanuts, plays with renewed energy, inspires teammates, scores at a PPG clip*

Chris: "#### this waste of space, amirite?"

Exactly.

We have the Jordan Weals and Nick Cousins to take his spot.

11 hours ago, sbhatt said:

The Kings roster is crap...makes me think they had no clue how to use him.

He had 16g last year and 9pts in 17gms this year on crap team, so he hadnt been Gomez-bad.

11 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I dont wanna see kk do that anymore, but holy crap he was tossing haymakers.  Even had the sweater grab jab going. 

Yes, mixed feelings on the immature response, but he is a teenager so guess he gets a pass. And just takes 1 punch against to put him in sick bay nursing a concussion.

10 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Love it, glad to see KK stick up for his teammate. Hopefully Poehling is OK?  Did he play after?  i didn't see the game. 

Poehling seems to set himself up to get hammered into the boards way too often.

I would without question look at bringing Kovalchuk back next year.

-I think he has inspired the team - AKA leadership

-he will help Romanov feel more secure (language, culture)

-I think he will benefit Kman. They have a very similar shot but Kovalchuk's compete level is much higher and he is all over the ice because he wants to get the puck to control play. Maybe he can teach Kman to do that.

-He is the most talented, skilled player on the team, even if he is over the hill.

-he likes playing here, likes the city and likes his teammates (I think he was surprised at playing in a market like this).

Ideally if we could trade him at the deadline and bring him back next season at a decent price