Game#49 Habs @ Philly 7:00 Jan 16 2020

DON

7 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I would without question look at bringing Kovalchuk back next year.

-I think he has inspired the team - AKA leadership

-he will help Romanov feel more secure (language, culture)

-I think he will benefit Kman. They have a very similar shot but Kovalchuk's compete level is much higher and he is all over the ice because he wants to get the puck to control play. Maybe he can teach Kman to do that.

-He is the most talented, skilled player on the team, even if he is over the hill.

-he likes playing here, likes the city and likes his teammates (I think he was surprised at playing in a market like this).

Ideally if we could trade him at the deadline and bring him back next season at a decent price

Like we did for Plekanen

One question we hardly ever discuss is: when do we want/expect the Habs to be a serious team again? Next year? The year after? Or is it the fabled "three year window?"

If we don't expect the habs to be any good over the next two years, then re-signing Kovalchuk seems a bit pointless, assuming you can get value back for him at the deadline. Rebuilding teams don't typically invest in 36-year-olds who probably don't have more than a couple of years left in the tank. We'd have the oldest core in the history of rebuilding teams! Also, if Kovy II actually would like to win something rather than play out the string in futility, perhaps he'd prefer to sign elsewhere anyhow, given demand for his services.

Depends on who is running the ship, 

We are currently year 8 of MB 5 year plan 

Supposedly the are going with youth and talent i heard last year, which means sellers at the deadline

58 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

One question we hardly ever discuss is: when do we want/expect the Habs to be a serious team again? Next year? The year after? Or is it the fabled "three year window?"

If we don't expect the habs to be any good over the next two years, then re-signing Kovalchuk seems a bit pointless, assuming you can get value back for him at the deadline. Rebuilding teams don't typically invest in 36-year-olds who probably don't have more than a couple of years left in the tank. We'd have the oldest core in the history of rebuilding teams! Also, if Kovy II actually would like to win something rather than play out the string in futility, perhaps he'd prefer to sign elsewhere anyhow, given demand for his services.

I expect them to be good next year. Injuries to important players hurt them this year. Mete, Suzuki, poehling and Fleury have given them solid free depth. They more than made up for kotkaniemi's regression. Drouin and Armia were huge to the team success early on this year. The power play has improved,  although its regressed recently. I am predicting 100+ points next year if they can get a decent backup.

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I have no idea if Kovalchuk wants to play here beyond this season. If he does want to be a Hab next year then it is pretty tough to turn down a ppg player on a short term contract.

I was thinking about our lines when everyone is healthy:

Tatar - Danault - Kovalchuk

Domi - Suzuki - Galagher

Drouin - Kman - Armia

Lehkonen - Thompson - Phoeling

Flip players around as you wish but that is a pretty deep lineup

11 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I expect them to be good next year. Injuries to important players hurt them this year. Mete, Suzuki, poehling and Fleury have given them solid free depth. They more than made up for kotkaniemi's regression. Drouin and Armia were huge to the team success early on this year. The power play has improved,  although its regressed recently. I am predicting 100+ points next year if they can get a decent backup.

Impossible to say, really depends how many changes happen to roster/Mgmt over the next 9 months.

25 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I have no idea if Kovalchuk wants to play here beyond this season. If he does want to be a Hab next year then it is pretty tough to turn down a ppg player on a short term contract.

I was thinking about our lines when everyone is healthy:

Tatar - Danault - Kovalchuk

Domi - Suzuki - Galagher

Drouin - Kman - Armia

Lehkonen - Thompson - Phoeling

Flip players around as you wish but that is a pretty deep lineup

Forgot about multi 20 goal scorer byron. Ok... two ti.e 20 goal scorer, but he is solid depth. Possibly caulfield the following year. Problem is you gotta pay em.

6 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Like we did for Plekanen

There is a difference between having a 10+ year relationship with Plekanec and 25 games with Kovalchuk 

Id just assume skip the third or fourth round pick we could get for him now and instead just make sure he stays 

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

There is a difference between having a 10+ year relationship with Plekanec and 25 games with Kovalchuk 

Id just assume skip the third or fourth round pick we could get for him now and instead just make sure he stays 

If he continue to produce good cant we expect more for him in a trade?

he is basicly free from capspace so all teams could trade for him right?

31 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

I agree. Even if it's a conditional pick, I think it goes as high as a 2nd rounder. 

I expect he'll be asked where he wants to go anyway, and I'd very much doubt his answer will be, "I'd rather stay."

46 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Its hard to say as many contending teams passed on the opportunity to sign him.  Are those gms going tonadmit that was a mistake and give a good pick?

18 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I'd be inclined to agree with this. The backup is important, however - it needs to be someone who can play a significant number of games, because I don't believe Price can carry the load he used to. He needs fewer games in order to be the 'real' Carey Price over an entire season. And that means we need a backup who is close to a 1A.

The other concern is the back end. Our chronic problem of blown opportunities should go away when the injured guts return, especially if we keep Kovy II. But the team this year has been prone to catastrophic, almost comical, breakdowns in its own end. Any regression from the big three (Petry, Chiarot, Weber) will lead to further disaster. So that could be the Achilles Heel. A whole lot - maybe too much - is riding on Romanov back there.

So, I do think you're right, but a couple of things need to happen to make it so. In any case, I'm not a 'tanker,' and so have no real issue with re-signing Kovy II provided his trade value is not super-high. Thjngs have been complete shite in Montreal for years now. He at least gives us some glamour and fun.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'd be inclined to agree with this. The backup is important, however - it needs to be someone who can play a significant number of games, because I don't believe Price can carry the load he used to. He needs fewer games in order to be the 'real' Carey Price over an entire season. And that means we need a backup who is close to a 1A.

The other concern is the back end. Our chronic problem of blown opportunities should go away when the injured guts return, especially if we keep Kovy II. But the team this year has been prone to catastrophic, almost comical, breakdowns in its own end. Any regression from the big three (Petry, Chiarot, Weber) will lead to further disaster. So that could be the Achilles Heel. A whole lot - maybe too much - is riding on Romanov back there.

So, I do think you're right, but a couple of things need to happen to make it so. In any case, I'm not a 'tanker,' and so have no real issue with re-signing Kovy II provided his trade value is not super-high. Thjngs have been complete shite in Montreal for years now. He at least gives us some glamour and fun.

I agree with this. Seems like the “2015 Chicoutimi cucumber” is back to being his positive self :)

17 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I agree with this. Seems like the “2015 Chicoutimi cucumber” is back to being his positive self :)

Hey, I said earlier in the season that this was a decent team and berated MB for not giving it the added resources needed to get over the bubble. He finally did add those pieces, but - true to form - probably too late for them to overcome the hole created by injuries. So I was moderately 'positive' about the team, if not uncritical of its management, and somewhat skeptical about likely success of the reset.

It's not either-or. I aspire to be positive where positvity is warranted and critical where critique is warranted. Given that the Habs have been a disaster since 2015, any unmixed positivity about this organization is just servile stupidity (or delusion) in my book.

• Upvote 2