Don Cherry?

dahabs111

Until recently, I had ignored everything "hockey" since the World Cup....being in "no hockey land" made it easy...so I guess I missed the news about Don Cherry

Did he lose his job over that controversy a while back?...I just read in another thread that HNIC will be back without Cherry...hardly makes Hockey Night in Canada worth watching

I live in California....I've introduced many friends to pro hockey....I would switch over from habs games to watch Coach's Corner whenever I could.....we all enjoyed him.......gonna suck without him!!!

Check out this web page. It'll give you more insight...

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/20...714a.html?email

More fun on the way... but not nearly as much fun as it used to be...

I clearly remember comments like: Who would hire someone with a name like dog food?... talking about Alpo Suhonen who became the coach of the Black Hawks in 2000.

That was so uncooth that it was hilarious.

Originally posted by dahabs111

Thanx for the link....

glad to hear he will be back!

I musta misread another thread

No, sorry, Dahabs. That was me. I thought he lost his job in one of his "controversies" or something. I remember hearing bout him in the Gazette during the lockout.

Didn't he get in trouble once for wearing a US tie at the CAN-US game, too?

And then all the European and French-Canadian comments. I'm surprised he still has his job.

Cherry's always getting into trouble. :o It seems to be part of his job. He may be the 'bad cop' in the 'good cop/bad cop' routine of that segment. He could also be the 'Simon Cowell' of Coach's Corner.

That could be why he's still there. He draws crowds.

Probably the only problem CBC has with him is trying to keep reigns on him... not have him rattle too many cages. :wall: :nono:

In many ways they have succeeded though. He's much tamer than he used to be... not nearly as outrageously funny as he once was. Which is probably good too, in some ways (though I sort of miss the all of the over the top antics, including the European & French-Canadian comments. By the way, I'm a French-Canadian and I was never offended by him. I just enjoyed the commentary. :lol:

So, Don Cherry, keep it up. I always watch the Canadiens game on Radio Canada but, at the first intermission, I faithfully turn to the CBC (even if it means missing a few minutes of the game itself) to watch you do your thing.

GOOOOOOOOOOO DONNNNNNNNN!!!! :clap: :clap:

Harsh yes, but I gotta tell ya I agree with ' Leafs Suck' I find Cherry over emotional, offensive and incredibly annoying. Unlike 'Dahabs111' I ALWAYS turn the channel when 'Coaches' corner comes on...

It sickened me to see him on that list of 'greatest ever Canadians' can you believe he was ahead of Gretzky?!

My most hated Cherry incident is when he called out Sidney Crosby for 'hotdogging' (celebrating after he scored a beautiful goal) - IS HE JOKING - his entire persona is a hot-dog show... the suits, etc... the guys got more mouth then brains...

Cherry was a hack when he played, then when he coached and now that he's in the booth he's even worse... get ridda' that chump for good please!

Halihab

That list was a joke anyway.... No athlete has any busniess being even considered for the greatest athlete for a country's greatest citizen. That list even had a none Canadian on it, Alexander Bell. Where was Romeo Dellare? Or Stephen Lewis? or even "the unknown solider". Don Cherry has not contributed a thing to this country, except giving it a horrible name. If people in the US and Europe think he represents this country, they're wrong. He is a loud mouth, who is only liked in Toronto because he is a Leaf cheerleader.

Cherry loves to whine about how others trash Canadian players and Canadian hockey yet look at what he said about Crosby? The greatest player this country has produced since Mario Lemieux, and Cherry trashes him. He never felt the same when his buddy McSorley clubbed Brashear, or Domi elbowing Niedermayer or even Bertuzzi ending Moore's career. Cherry really picks and chooses whats wrong and whats right. Watch some of those old Rock'em Sock'em videos, he rips a guy like Pavel Bure for elbowing some Dallas player. Like he gets so outraged at some cheap play, but when one of his buddies does it, he defends him.

[Edited on 2005/8/21 by Leafs Suck]

I faithfully turn to the CBC (even if it means missing a few minutes of the game itself) to watch you do your thing.

How do you justify missing part of a Habs game to watch an old biggoted Leafs cheerleader?

I really believe that the CBC would be much better off having Kelly Hrudey do their intermissions, and i cant wait until that day inevitably comes. Hrudey is a great analyst and i love listening to what he has to say.

I agree entirely with 'Quebecois' Hrudey does a great job. He's opinionated without being rude or controversial and his insight is always interesting and on the mark...

I also don't mind Elliot Friedman who CBC seems to be bringing along to replace Ron McLean...

HaliHab

Originally posted by Quebecois

I faithfully turn to the CBC (even if it means missing a few minutes of the game itself) to watch you do your thing.

How do you justify missing part of a Habs game to watch an old biggoted Leafs cheerleader?

I really believe that the CBC would be much better off having Kelly Hrudey do their intermissions, and i cant wait until that day inevitably comes. Hrudey is a great analyst and i love listening to what he has to say.

Easily.

I find the comments funny. I'm a French-Canadian and I'm not insulted by it all, in my case, even his rants about French-Canadian or QMJHL players. I put it into it's context. It's his opinion, it's show-biz, it's not relevant to my life or my perception of hockey. I also enjoy foolish humour and that foolishness is, to me, quite humourous. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kelly Hrudy would definitely give the spot a different feel. First of all, they'd have to change the name to... "From Behind The Mask"? Also, CBC had better get ready to slip in the ratings during that segment. Cherry's spouting off is what attracts the viewers. :wall:

By the way, if one finds Coach's Corner to be an offense to Canada and the Canadian image, one should take the proverbial 'broom handle out of their butt'. ;)

Anyways, all nations and cultures have this kind of people... so what! Don't make them more important than they really are. :can: :can: :can:

[Edited on 2005/8/22 by shortcat1]

You guys take sh*t way too seriously.....While Don Cherry is as much an idiot as Rush Limbaugh is...both are very entertaining....loosen up a little and enjoy the show.....who cares who gets offended...it's just entertainment!!!

Of course this guy's crazy, racist, prejudiced and couldn't pick out a nice suit if it flew up his ass but it's nice to have something to laugh at in middle of the game. Especially if we're losing. I like watching and listening to this guy.

But Kelly Hrudey is very good.:/)

Cherry is a Leaf fan, which is one big knock against him, and yes, he allways defends the cheap shots of "his boys", but I have to admitt that he is entertaining, and I'm glad he's back. Everyone else is a little boring...except that Satallite hotstove...I love that portion of HNIC.