GAME#50 Habs vs Knights 7:00 Jan 18 2020

DON

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You don't have to sell me. But the MB era has not exactly been marked with these sorts of joyful decisions about popular and flashy players. Subban was traded, Radulov allowed to walk, Markov cut loose. We can probably expect the same fate for Kovy II, especially if management concludes that a playoff charge is unrealistic. Even if they don't, I wouldn't be surprised at all if MB decides he doesn't like Kovalchuky's contract demands and lets him walk on July 1. Joylessness, thy name is Habs.

How about we keep Kovalchuk, and fire Bergevin instead? 

6 minutes ago, Chris said:

The Habs do not have enough prospects and young talent, They are in a rebuild, It's the owners and MB directive

Also, Tatar, Petry, and Thompson should be shopped as well 

Glad they held on but team like this don't make the playoffs, 

The directive was a "reset" or "retool," not a "rebuild." Just saying. I tend to agree that we don't have enough prospects and young talent to be a truly elite contender in 3-4 years, but it's doubtful that trading Kovy II will get you back a player who would tilt the equation decisively. I do get the idea of "accumulate all the picks you can and hope some hit," though.

Just now, sbhatt said:

How about we keep Kovalchuk, and fire Bergevin instead? 

If Bergevin improves this team in the off season I have no problem with Bergevin being GM. If he stands pat and does nothing again, IE.....blames injuries again then its time for a change at GM.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Chris said:

firing MB, the scouting department and CJ doesn't change the fact they need a rebuild with young better prospects

The last 2 years they have done a great job rebuilding the prospects. Which is my point they should be upgrading the team now. Our reset should be over, other wise this is a rebuild.

Call it whatever you want, 

You have a coach that missed the playoffs 6 out 7 years, assuming they miss this year

You have a GM on year 8 of a 5 year plan who has been told to retool or whatever and can't build a winning roster 

The league is built for mediocre teams to stay around playoff contention 

14 minutes ago, Chris said:

The Habs do not have enough prospects and young talent, They are in a rebuild, It's the owners and MB directive

Also, Tatar, Petry, and Thompson should be shopped as well 

Glad they held on but team like this don't make the playoffs, 

See St-Louis Blues circa 2019

12 minutes ago, Chris said:

firing MB, the scouting department and CJ doesn't change the fact they need a rebuild with young better prospects

Yeah, it would be a shame if pretty much every media outlet who looks at hockey prospects thinks the Habs have a top 5 pool

I think the time for Montreal to go for it is next year. If we can resign Kovy and and a top LD this could be a really good team.  We would have 3 really good lines

Tatar/Danault/Kovy 

Drouin/Domi/Gallagher 

Suzuki/Kotkaniemi/Armia 

I would look at trading Byron And Lehkonen  maybe as a package to see what we could get.  But if we fix our Dcore this team could be good next year.

You still need players to play defense, you need players that can win battles, play physical, crash the net and defend the front of the net, those are the same forwards they have had the past 2 years, no playoffs 

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

You still need players to play defense, you need players that can win battles, play physical, crash the net and defend the front of the net, those are the same forwards they have had the past 2 years, no playoffs 

That's what I said if we can upgrade our dcore and resign kovy this can be a really good team next year.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

I think the time for Montreal to go for it is next year. If we can resign Kovy and and a top LD this could be a really good team.  We would have 3 really good lines

Tatar/Danault/Kovy 

Drouin/Domi/Gallagher 

Suzuki/Kotkaniemi/Armia 

I would look at trading Byron And Lehkonen  maybe as a package to see what we could get.  But if we fix our Dcore this team could be good next year.

MB takes forever to fix anything.

This team is not going to "go for" anything except a playoff spot next year.

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Tatar/Danault/Kovy 

Drouin/Domi/Gallagher 

Suzuki/Kotkaniemi/Armia 

Lehkonen is too good to trade imo. His point production is such a small part of his game. His contracts will never be huge because of he doesnt put up numbers but his play away from the puck is almost perfect. His trade value would likely not match his value to the team as a 3rd liner.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Lehkonen is too good to trade imo. His point production is such a small part of his game. His contracts will never be huge because of he doesnt put up numbers but his play away from the puck is almost perfect. His trade value would likely not match his value to the team as a 3rd liner.

Coach's darling. If Lehkonen gets traded Claude might quit and try to follow him. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Agreed 100%

One of the most underrated players in the whole league.

9 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Coach's darling. If Lehkonen gets traded Claude might quit and try to follow him. 

I’ve changed my view on Lehkonen this year. He is just two awesome at relentless pursuit of the puck and can produce every now and then

A perfect 4th liner on a cup contender. Young enough to be that player for the Habs

24 minutes ago, Commandant said:

With 11 goals already.  Hes more than a fourth liner.  Hes a perfect third liner 

Indeed. That said, whenever he gets a scoring chance, I automatically assume it's not going in, and this is a safe assumption. Lehks is thus a frustrating guy on a team with an eviscerated top-6, because he's not one of those tweeners who can move up and down the lineup and produce - he's an old-school checking forward. Nothing wrong with that at all. In the 1980s he'd have been a prospective Selke candidate.