Martin St-Louis

Koivu11

With Vincent Lecavalier signed long-term with the bolts, and rumours saying that the lightning dont have enough cap space for St-Louis.

Is there any chance that the habs land him?

Will we have the cap space when Theo is signed?

No, there is no cap space for the Habs to sign St. Louis.

Montreal when they sign Ryder, Theodore and Markov will have about $3 Million dollars left under the cap, which is less then the $4 million or so that Tampa has, although they have no #1 goaltender.

Montreal would have to deal someone to make it happen

I agree. There's no place for him, especially at that price.

Also, his 'attitude' may be the cause of problems in the dressing room and on the ice. If he's pushing for 6 million then that might indicate that he's getting, for want of a better expression, too big for his britches.

Nope, the Canadiens don't need that at all.

[Edited on 2005/8/19 by shortcat1]

No way we'll get him. And I don't even want him. Not now anyway. If Gainey wanted a player like St. Louis he would/should have went for him at the beginning of the UFA period. Now we just have too many players, too high a payroll and we'd have to push all our players back a line.

No thanks. Maybe next year.

Originally posted by windacup

How can you say you don't want the league MVP? In the prime of his career, plus he's a local kid.

You can't go for every good player in the league. And he's not my league MVP. It's not all goals, you know. He costs too much, he's greedy, too small, he'd completely mess up our lines and who do you suggest we trade for him?

His style fits well with our team, but -

1. We can't afford him. This means we'd have to trade a lot to get him (to dump salary) and our team will be messed up. (But Tampa won't be able to afford the players we'd trade so getting him is impossible, anyway.) The salary he's asking for is way too much for a guy with one good year. He's just as proven as Mike Ribeiro and no sane GM would offer Ribs half Marty's salary.

2. We're looking for size and strength which is the opposite of St. Louis.

3. He's selfish and arrogant and Gainey knows better than to sign players like that. He won't accept under 5mln (and he's pushing for 6mln) after only 1 80pt season or something.

So...

We don't need him

We can't have him

We don't want him for his on-ice qualities

We don't want him for his off-ice qualities

[Edited on 2005/8/19 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

Why do you say he's selfish and arrogant? He's the MVP of the league on the defending Stanley Cup Champions. He's clearly worth move than Lecavalier that just got that ridiculous deal.

for the record, comparing ribeiro to St.Louis is a joke numbers for last 2 years below

St.Louis G G A T

02-03 Tam 82 33 37 70

03-04 Tam 82 38 56 94

Ribeiro G G A T

02-03 Mon 52 5 12 17

03-04 Mon 81 20 45 65

I agree they probably don't have the guys to trade but they should try. With regards to messing up the lines? Ask me if any of those first line guys would like to have St.Louis on there line? I thought so

St. Louis is better than Ribeiro. I'm just saying that St. Louis doesn't have much experience and isn't completely proven as a Super Star.

He apparently has problems in the dressing room with some other players. And how can you not call him greedy? Anybody who says they won't accept under 5M dollars a year is greedy. Period. Especially since he doesn't deserve that money to begin with.

A guy like Koivu would have accepted the league minimum if he had to. He knows he's rich and he doesn't need the money. St. Louis just wants to get richer and richer.

And just because he won the Hart Trophy doesn't mean he's the best player in the league. Or close to it.

And it'll mess up the lines because our first two lines are scoring and the next two are checking, grit and defensive lines. Someone like Dagenais, Ryder or Ribeiro just wouldn't fit on a checking line. They'd go straight to the bench, whoever he replaced. Things like that. Signing a guy when you don't have room gets things messy.

[Edited on 2005/8/19 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

putting stlouis on waivers was calgarys worst decision. Still I dont think st louis should make more than 4-4.5 because he has no checking game. Everyone has been over paid this offseason tho.

Originally posted by Sharks putting stlouis on waivers was calgarys worst decision.

Teams put players on the waiver list for a variety of reasons. It's mostly built around the idea that the player hasn't grown to the extent that they expected he would. So they have to make a decision on who to keep because of roster limit restrictions.

St. Louis hadn't done much to that point.

A player that Montreal moved for similar reasons is Tomas Vokoun. They didn't have room for him. Their loss.

A comparitively minor gain that Montreal got through the waiver draft is Steve Bégin - Buffalo was surprised that he got away.

So, things like that happen. It won't anymore because there's no more waiver draft.

I repeat:

We can't have him

We don't need him

We don't want him for his on-ice abilities

We don't want him for his off-ice abilities

Gainey's too smart to make a move on this guy.

looking back on losing stlouis to waiver.. I do want to pull my hair out but I am a fan of all the Jarome Iginlas out there. If Deadmarsh were 100% he would be a way better LW for Iginla than Amonte. Also my theory is amonte will retire after this season. If your going to move to a contender during your last season you might as well goto the underdogs that almost won the cup.

GM's have always had to look at things like salaries, not that signing contracts has been Gainey's forte, but this is something that simply won't happen. Remember that Gainey is still influenced by some of the existing management team, and they have been identifying and developing specific types of players for several years.

Not that i don't want superstars, who wouldn't? It's just that i also like to see a mix of vets and youth. I'll keep saying it, let's see some of our young guns get a shot...guys like Ryder do exist, and we may have a couple more in the wings, but they need a spot on the roster to prove themselves.

yeah Eklund is reporting St-Louis signed in TB for 6 years for 5.2M a year.

Eklund is often wrong when speculating, but right when affirming that something is done and will be anounced.

As far as I'm concerned, this is pure madness from TB's part. 6 YEARS!!!!! That is ridiculous. Guess that's what it took to sign St-Louis (to help his ego recover from the fact that he is making less than Lecav).....but it's too much.

Nothing left for Richards in 2 years. Am I the only one that thinks that Richards is the real TOP talent on that team. I could understand Vinny, but I was sure they would let St-Louis go and keep Richards.

Do I smell another Richard(s) coming to Montreal? Hmmm................

:ghg: