Backup Goaltender

Trizzak

Options?

There are a few to be signed, but I've actually switched my opinion on this and now say that Danis should be given the spot. If he proves he's capable, Huet is traded for a pick. If he falters, he only has to last till Huet comes back.

I know that if Huet is traded then Garon was basically traded straight up for Bonk, but he was really only going to be a habs till Danis was ready. If Danis proves capable earlier than expected, I'm happy.

Any thoughts?

I'd hate to admit that LA ripped us but we have no room on our roster or payroll for any new players. We can only trade Huet for a pick and it would most likely be a 4th-rounder or so. But I don't think it's wrong to give Danis a chance just to see if he's NHL calibre.

That was Gainey's only mistake so far. Garon has star potential.

[Edited on 2005/8/21 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

I'd hate to admit that LA ripped us but we have no room on our roster or payroll for any new players. We can only trade Huet for a pick and it would most likely be a 4th-rounder or so. But I don't think it's wrong to give Danis a chance just to see if he's NHL calibre.

That was Gainey's only mistake so far. Garon has superstar potential.

Dude, don't take this the wrong way but the season hasn't begun. Who knows, maybe Gainey got the best of the deal and Garon could end up being a decent starter.

Superstar goalie? Only time will tell my friend.

We have not seem Bonk play in a HABS jersey yet... he could be the missing big defensive Center we need to balance the lines. Huet is a relative unknown to me but Danis is still alittle green. Give him a game or two so see how he handles the pressure cooker of MTL but another season of "seasoning" in Hamilton will be a good idea.

I agree with you, Cadian. Huet was acquired for a reason and I'm sure that Gainey will not just throw away that acquisition.

Danis has the qualities to possibly make him a #1 goalie. To rush him could be an error. Some experience at the beginning of the year shouldn't be too bad for him - might just give him a nice taste of what's very possible for him.

I can see, a few years down the road, a Danis/Price tandem... great possibilities there.

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

I think it'll be good to give danis a chance. If he does well, let him be backup to theo till huet is back and if huet doesnt perform, trade him away for a pick or a decent d-man. I liked garon but i dont think he will be a superstar.

I think the garon trade was a good one if not a great one.

that same day patrick lalime was traded for a fourth rounder.

beside, in bonk we got a good two way guy with size and we also got a decent backup goalie.java script:icon(':D')

Although Danis seems to have good potential, he has only played one year in the American Hockey League and at this point in his development he needs to play a lot ... something he won't do as Jose Theodore's backup. Danis may start the season in Montreal as the #2 goalie but when Huet is healthy he will return to Hamilton for the playing time he so desparately needs to continue to improve.

Depending on how much Jose gets, we may still have a wee bit of dough to spend on a temp back-up. But who is even available and what is realistic?

I suspect BG will let Danis start as backup and then send him to Hamilton when Huet is back. I agree with all those that say playing time, and lots of it is what Danis needs right now. Something he will only get with the bulldogs.

If Jose wants to keep improving then he should check out Marty Brodeur and how many games a year his backup plays...

Danis has alot of potential, I think he is capable of being a #1 guy in a few seasons and could be a dunham, or a cloutier. Come on habs fans.. at least I didnt say dafoe.

Can I just say that I'm sick of everyone arguing that Garon is the second coming of Jacques Plante and that trading him was a mistake? Sheesh. Sure, he looks like a legit #1 starter in the NHL. Then again, so did Brian Hayward and Bunny Laroque. Sure, he got good numbers---playing a few games against mostly bottom-feeding teams. Hooo-eeeee. He's proven nothing: not that he can take the pressure of big games, not that he can carry a team on his back for long stretches, not that he's reliable over the stretch, not that he can even take the grind of a full season.

Meanwhile, we have a top-5 goalie right now. Theo has won the world juniors, an MVP, he's shown he can steal big games, he's won playoff series, been on the World Cup team, he can intimidate the opposition and inspire his teammates, etc., etc..

So the question is not whether Gainey should have moved Theodore to keep Garon. Only a complete moron (or maybe Reggie Houle---remember Roy for Thibault? :))would have done that. The question is whether he could have received more than Bonk in return for a nobody like Garon. The answer is almost surely 'no.' So for Pete's sake, enough with the Garon-mania. :guru:

Originally posted by Tony
Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

That was Gainey's only mistake so far. Garon has superstar potential.

Dude, don't take this the wrong way but the season hasn't begun. Who knows, maybe Gainey got the best of the deal and Garon could end up being a decent starter.

Superstar goalie? Only time will tell my friend.

Yep, seriously training camp hasn't even started and people are already on Gainey's case about the Garon trade?

I believe the most games Garon has played in a season is 18 yes he was impressive but he has to play 3 times as many games in LA.

I think Garon had to be moved and Gainey got decent value for him.

People are hard on Bonk because the Sens failed in the playoffs, but if you look at Bonk he's a quality player. I for one like the trade and think Bonk will help the Habs more then Garon would sitting on the bench.

Being French, I know Cristo quite well, and I think Habs fans will be positively surprised when he'll hit the ice. His nickname in Manchester was 'the wall' and he could have been the permanent #1 in LA if Cechmanek didn't get so hot at that time. He's a lot to prove as a #1 but will be a great fit in the backup spot, and he might learn even more behind Theo.

My only concern is regarding his injury. I hope he'll have all the time to heal and get back on top of his game, but that won't be before the end of the year.

Great Goalies - eg. Brodeur, Kipper, Theo, Turco, Luongo

Good Goalies - eg. Dunham, Legacy, Roloson, Cloutier

Suitable Goalies - eg. Turek, Conklin, Hedberg, Grahame

Yikes - eg. Irbe, Sauve, Osgood ect.

Basically I think you can break down all NHL goalies into 4 categories. I believe danis will make it as high as good. O doubt danis will make it to the all-star game more than once.

I do like Bonk. I just like Garon more. He's going to be great.

The trade was good for this season, not for the long run. That was needed because we'll have a lot of inexperienced, young faces in the line-up. A cheaper, yet solid back-up and two-way, experienced third-line center like Bonk were good acquisitions. But we paid the price for them.

Originally posted by FrenchHabs

His nickname in Manchester was 'the wall' and he could have been the permanent #1 in LA if Cechmanek didn't get so hot at that time.

It's good to hear that about Huet.

By the way, you're French and you include Manchester & Brisbane in your 'bio'. I take it you're a world traveler of sorts.

The only way that trade won't be a good one, is if Garon wins a Vezina and Hart Trophy or leads LA to a Stanley Cup. There was no market for this guy, when the Habs were looking to deal him. Almost every team had a top notch goalie, and the only reason LA wanted him, was because of that one game Garon played against him. NOw 1 game doesn't make a career.

There was no way Garon was going to play ahead of Theodore a Hart and Vezina winner, and Garon had to be traded, and I think Gainey did a great job of dealing a good but unproven goalie, for need which is a phyical 2 way centerman.

The only thing way I think Gainey may have failed was obtaining Bonk from straight from Ottawa for a 3rd round pick, but there was noway Ottawa was dealing Bonk within their own division. So its really a mute point.