GAME #51, Caps @ Habs 7:00-Jan 27 2020

DON

I was really struggling cheering for the Caps. But at least this puts us one more step closer to the point where everyone (Bergevin!) will have to accept that we'll be on the outside looking in when the playoffs start.

TSN showed the graphic of the Habs leading the league in one goal losses (by one over LA) but I'd love to see the stat of including games where an empty net goal was scored as well. I wonder if the Habs would pull well ahead there or if things would stay about the same. 

They battle every game, definitely can't argue their compete level. Just wish we couldn't argue their talent level. 

2 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

TSN showed the graphic of the Habs leading the league in one goal losses (by one over LA) but I'd love to see the stat of including games where an empty net goal was scored as well. I wonder if the Habs would pull well ahead there or if things would stay about the same. 

They battle every game, definitely can't argue their compete level. Just wish we couldn't argue their talent level. 

They lead in another category, too: defensive-zone giveaways. A clear lead on that. But, ironically, they actually are doing quite well in the offensive zone.

https://morehockeystats.com/teams/givetake

Giveaways and takeaways are not the same rink to rink so i dont know how far to go with that stat.

From that website.

"We are aware that the Giveaway/Takeaway statistics' precision is somewhat shaky on the definition level. The tables below smell of Arena bias. We also discard all such events happening in the neutral zone (about 10% of the giveaways and about 18% of the takeaways)"

Just now, Commandant said:

Giveaways and takeaways are not the same rink to rink so i dont know how far to go with that stat.

Definitely true. I would say they are not doing well in this area, but whether they are actually the worst is open to discussion.

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

Definitely true. I would say they are not doing well in this area, but whether they are actually the worst is open to discussion.

That they stink in the D-zone seems obvious to the eye test, whatever the numbers say.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That they stink in the D-zone seems obvious to the eye test, whatever the numbers say.

It's always nice when the numbers confirm the eye test.

The thing is pure wins and losses does not give you much information about why those wins and losses qre happening.  Hence why people want to dig deeper to be able to better predict future wins or to see areas that need improving to get more wins.

• Upvote 1

My heart wanted this game to be the start of a season changing win followed by the return of the injured and a strong winning streak that propels us into the playoffs.

What we got was what my brain insisted was going to happen. Despite a strong work ethic this team just isn't good enough and I hope the Habs are clear sellers at the deadline.

I'm sick of being crap year after year

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

My heart wanted this game to be the start of a season changing win followed by the return of the injured and a strong winning streak that propels us into the playoffs.

What we got was what my brain insisted was going to happen. Despite a strong work ethic this team just isn't good enough and I hope the Habs are clear sellers at the deadline.

I'm sick of being crap year after year

I hear you. I wanted to believe too, but those errors by Petry and Weber were brutal, especially with Price seeming to be on his game.

I am disappointed with Domi this season. Like Galchenyuk, before him, I want him shipped out. I'll give it a day or two before blasting him on the forum... but man, oh man. He makes it hard to like him as a core player.

Domi has been invisible since moving him to the wing, 

Not his fault the genius's running the show dont put him with adequate wingers, 

He had a very good year last year with decent wingers, 

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

Who is better at center this year Domi? Or Suzuki? 

37 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Who is better at center this year Domi? Or Suzuki? 

Domi has been better at centre.   He is worse on the wing.

Suzuki has been about the same at both centre and wing... 

Seems to be an obvious coaching decision here. 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

This kind of thing is my main knock against CJ (who is a pretty good coach). He is so obsessed with defense that he is willing to give up the offensive flair of a player like Domi because he isn't very good defensively. Domi is clearly better at centre and this wing experiment has been done before! Since Suzuki is better defensively, CJ is willing to let Domi play in a role where he won't produce.

I get that the whole team is a defensive disaster and Domi is not good at it at all but this is not the way to fix the problem

9 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I get that the whole team is a defensive disaster and Domi is not good at it at all but this is not the way to fix the problem

So « How do you solve a problem like [...] » Domi on CJ’s team?

56 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

This kind of thing is my main knock against CJ (who is a pretty good coach). He is so obsessed with defense that he is willing to give up the offensive flair of a player like Domi because he isn't very good defensively. Domi is clearly better at centre and this wing experiment has been done before! Since Suzuki is better defensively, CJ is willing to let Domi play in a role where he won't produce.

Nothing new under the sun.

Back to the good ol'  Claude Julien.   Coaching to "not lose" instead of coaching to win.

4 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Nothing new under the sun.

Back to the good ol'  Claude Julien.   Coaching to "not lose" instead of coaching to win.

Ya, that is exactly why Petry was in front of Caps next at start of game to tap in goal, team was playing Julien's rope a dope.:rolleyes:

16 hours ago, DON said:

Ya, that is exactly why Petry was in front of Caps next at start of game to tap in goal, team was playing Julien's rope a dope.:rolleyes:

You can cherry pick the plays that you want,  but you'll never convince me that deep down inside of him, Claude Julien  would not rather lose a game 2-1 in OT  than to win a game 10-8.

In my mind, he his the kind of coach that, even though we need to win like 80% of remaining games to make playoffs,  if the game is tied, he will run his 4th line of Weal Cousins and Thompson and bench KK/Domi/Suzuki  if they're having anything else than a perfect game.

24 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

You can cherry pick the plays that you want,  but you'll never convince me that deep down inside of him, Claude Julien  would not rather lose a game 2-1 in OT  than to win a game 10-8.

In my mind, he his the kind of coach that, even though we need to win like 80% of remaining games to make playoffs,  if the game is tied, he will run his 4th line of Weal Cousins and Thompson and bench KK/Domi/Suzuki  if they're having anything else than a perfect game.

In terms of coaching: generating chances doesn't seem to be the problem. The problems are, first, too many players can't finish - which is not anyone's fault, least of all the coach's.

Second, the Habs have been prone to catastrophic defensive breakdowns all season. If we follow the old axion that a coach's job is to teach defence, then this may be a valid line of critique of CJ and his staff. But notice that this critique has nothing to do with some hyper-conservative 'fear of losing.' If anything it suggests that CJ is not conservative enough.

And personally, I have trouble believing that CJ can't coach strong defensive systems. He has a long history of doing just that. My guess is that the breakdowns are a result of having too many young players, and also relying too much on too many mobility-challenged d-men. It may be a roster prob,em, not a coaching one.

• Upvote 1