GAME #51, Caps @ Habs 7:00-Jan 27 2020

DON

13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

In terms of coaching: generating chances doesn't seem to be the problem. The problems are, first, too many players can't finish - which is not anyone's fault, least of all the coach's.

Second, the Habs have been prone to catastrophic defensive breakdowns all season. If we follow the old axion that a coach's job is to teach defence, then this may be a valid line of critique of CJ and his staff. But notice that this critique has nothing to do with some hyper-conservative 'fear of losing.' If anything it suggests that CJ is not conservative enough.

And personally, I have trouble believing that CJ can't coach strong defensive systems. He has a long history of doing just that. My guess is that the breakdowns are a result of having too many young players, and also relying too much on too many mobility-challenged d-men. It may be a roster prob,em, not a coaching one.

I think it’s both. We don’t have the horses to play D.  But you don’t through out the 4th line and keep running 4 lines when you are down. Weisse, weal, thompson, cousins and other grunts should not be getting a regular shift when you NEED to score - unless you actually are consciously coaching for a lottery pick next year (which I think they should be doing for the next two years anyways).

53 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

In terms of coaching: generating chances doesn't seem to be the problem. The problems are, first, too many players can't finish - which is not anyone's fault, least of all the coach's.

Second, the Habs have been prone to catastrophic defensive breakdowns all season. If we follow the old axion that a coach's job is to teach defence, then this may be a valid line of critique of CJ and his staff. But notice that this critique has nothing to do with some hyper-conservative 'fear of losing.' If anything it suggests that CJ is not conservative enough.

And personally, I have trouble believing that CJ can't coach strong defensive systems. He has a long history of doing just that. My guess is that the breakdowns are a result of having too many young players, and also relying too much on too many mobility-challenged d-men. It may be a roster prob,em, not a coaching one.

I think youve nailed this one