The Ongoing Center Conundrum

Trizzak

There has been a ton of recent debate in the Habs fandom and media about the centre position. This seems to be coming mostly from Suzuki taking the 2nd line C spot from Domi, but also with Poehling playing wing beside Kotkaniemi. 

I reckon that some of these current lineup decisions aren't considered ideal by the coaching staff and management, but instead have been forced on them by the injuries. We'll definitely learn a lot more about what the staff think of who belongs where when Gallagher and Drouin (and Byron) return, but there are some serious questions about the long term placement of some guys:

Is Domi a center or winger?

Is Suzuki a center or winger?

Is Kotkaniemi going to be more than a 3C?

Is Danault worth signing long term?

What is Poehling?

What is your opinion on the best way of getting the most out of the centers currently within the organization?

-------------------------

Personally, when the lineup is mostly healthy, I would send both Kotkaniemi and Poehling down to Laval as 1C and 2C respectively and try to push that team into the playoffs. They both aren't well served playing 3rd line minutes in Montreal right now. Go learn how to be a star players... the Habs need some. 

For the Habs I'd run Danault, Domi, Suzuki, and Thompson/Weal for the rest of the year. Maybe call up Evans for the 4th line since he's earned a cup of coffee and will top out as a bottom 6 forward anyway. Counter to Kotkaniemi, I think Suzuki would be well served playing with defensively responsible linemates like Armia and Lehkonen. We know Suzuki has the offensive chops for the top 6 moving forward, but we don't know that Kotkaniemi does. Nick will make a better argument for a center option moving forward if he improves defensively, and can still get his offensive minutes on the powerplay.

Right now it should be 

Domi

Suzuki

Danault

KK

Poehling is is fine on the wing currently, if someone goes down he goes to the middle

Thompson will be moved shorlty IMO 

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

What is Poehling?

I think in the long term Suzuki is a centre. But in the short (and possibly even medium) term, having him on Domi's wing is the strongest combination.

It's too early to make a call on Kotkaniemi, I think. While Laval makes sense to me, too, if that's not an option, having Poehling on Kotkaniemi's wing is a potential win, getting the two young guys to know each other and play together is a good thing.

And, yes, absolutely yes, on Danault.

2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

What is Poehling?

1) I prefer Domi at center but think he can play either position.

2) I’m fine with Suzuki at either position but think he can be a good center in the future. 

3) Yes, I think he will be.

4) I personally would prefer if Danault were not on the team long term. He’s under appreciated but with that being said, I would prefer a better player as our first line center. If he were our 3rd line center, I wouldn’t have a complaint, but he should be paid and played accordingly. 

5) Despite being drafted 25th overall, I see 40-50 points as being a good year in Ryan Poehling’s career. At least for the first 5-10 years. After that, anything can happen. 

When the team is healthy again, and projecting they will be far enough from the playoffs that management will do this:

poehling and Kotkaniemi to laval

Danault

Domi

Suzuki

Thompson

The goal would be to get Laval to the playoffs to get a more rugged and experience crop of prospects So that at some point next season (not the beginning necessarily) We get:

Domi on the wing and

Suzuki

Kotkaniemi

Danault 

Poehling

I doubt it happens; it may take an extra year, but that is the projection I would like to see develop 

Danault isn't a 1st line centre, but he is an awesome 2nd line centre. He improves every year too. I want him on the team for 5 more years. Everyone is aware of his defensive ability, but offensively, surely people can see how well his line performs 5 on 5. Their chemistry and ability to make quick plays at speed is really good. More often than not, it's the smart play that Danault makes, when there is a decision to make. He rarely gives the puck away in dangerous areas. Tatar and Gallagher read him very well and get open, so they can continue cycling.

The conundrum is very dependent on KK. If he shows some big improvements in his development,  one of these guys will need to be traded. I hope it's not Danault though.

Suzuki is the only one who looks like the same player whether he is at C or W, so the obvious choice to unclog the situation is him on the wing. Domi and even Poehling don't seem as dominant when on the wing, KK we haven't really seen there but I doubt it would work. Eventually in the coming years the log jam might require moving some bodies if the players showcase the ability to step up and be able to handle the roles. An eventual 1 - 2 -3 of Suzuki, KK, and Poehling might be where this whole thing projects in a few years, which means trade decisions could be on the horizon in a few years. 

My whole argument with this is , i am always going to be willing to trade from my team strength to fill my team weaknesses.  Danault isn't probably going to be traded neither is Suzuki or Kotkaniemi. So that leaves us with either Domi or Poehling, most team's asking would more then likely want Domi over Poehling. unless you're packaging Poehling with someone or draft picks then that might be a different story. 

But I for one don't see Bergevin trading Domi unless contract talks go south and Domi wants too much money.

I like Domi a lot. But he is mediocre on the wing - that much has been proven repeatedly. So why are coaches always tempted to move him to W? Because he stinks at faceoffs and is not great on the defensive side of the puck.

What I conclude from this is that, unless he upgrades in those areas of the game, he will never be a C on a really strong team, and moving him to W is no solution.

If the Habs ever evolve into a powerful club, my guess is he will probably not be part of it. He'll become a transitional guy at C, like Desharnais should have been.

This assumes, of course. that the Habs will eventually have a better option than him at C. And the complication is that it's far from clear they will. Suzuki, I think, has a real chance of becoming an impact C. (Maybe not an elite #1, but good). I'm a bit of a KK skeptic, and Poehling is not going to be top-6 IMHO. Our supposed 'glut' at C is not all that impressive in terms of high-ceiling offensive centremen.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I like Domi a lot. But he is mediocre on the wing - that much has been proven repeatedly. So why are coaches always tempted to move him to W? Because he stinks at faceoffs and is not great on the defensive side of the puck.

What I conclude from this is that, unless he upgrades in those areas of the game, he will never be a C on a really strong team, and moving him to W is no solution.

If the Habs ever evolve into a powerful club, my guess is he will probably not be part of it. He'll become a transitional guy at C, like Desharnais should have been.

Amen, brother!

You have seen the point !