Kotkaniemi sent to Laval

dlbalr

I wonder what this does for his confidence?  Also wondering how long the team is hopping to have hi down there? Any chance they leave him for the season for more long term development? 

Glad he's going to play instead of sitting though. 

3 minutes ago, sim.on said:

I wonder what this does for his confidence?  Also wondering how long the team is hopping to have hi down there? Any chance they leave him for the season for more long term development?

I think they'll give him a couple of weeks down there and then assess from there.  If he's still struggling, then you look at a longer-term placement but if he goes down and lights it up, they'll do what they normally do with their better prospects and bring them back quickly.

I am happy that it may give the Habs a couple of weeks to assess Domi as a center where he is better

The demotion can only help Kotkaniemi’s development , but to me it is also a move to get Domi back at center

Not a chance. He will be loved in Laval, fans will show him their support and coaching will make sure he is fine.

Although, he may pout like Poehling for a few games

I suspect not. It'll be a disappointment to be sure, but he's smart enough to understand why the Habs did it. And if he takes advantage of the opportunity, whether it's for six games or the rest of the season, he'll become a better player for it.

7 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Not a chance. He will be loved in Laval, fans will show him their support and coaching will make sure he is fine.

Although, he may pout like Poehling for a few games

Sending them both down together might help them cope together!

I like KK comment after the game saying it was his favorite game this year and how he felt all the coaches behind the bench were trusting him. If he feels trusted by his coaches and not sit after every little mistake he may pass this level of uncertainty that is blocking him. He is a kid took from being a player to develop to the upper level with little noticeable improvements in his game under Julien coaches team. 

18 minutes ago, Easy Ryder said:

He is a kid took from being a player to develop to the upper level with little noticeable improvements in his game under Julien coaches team. 

So. you figure Suzuki will likely regress next season with no head coaching change?

Bouchard seems to be focused on some good stuff and the AHL is a place KK can work on aspects of game he just couldnt with the big club, like the PK and defending.

1a in game one.

"Kotkaniemi, according to Bouchard, played over 16 minutes in the overtime loss and that was despite not killing penalties in a game Laval took six penalties. The third overall pick in the 2018 NHL Draft will eventually take that role on, and will get more ice time as a result.

“He has to fill every role,” said Bouchard. “We want him to be a 200 foot player. We have to get him to kill penalties. He’s a smart player.”

Bouchard said that being in the AHL will allow him to teach him and prepare him for different roles and try new things where the pressure of winning at all costs is not as high as it is in the NHL.

“He needs to play,” Bouchard said. “There are things that I can work on him with that are harder to do at the NHL level.” "

I am shocked that they had the sense to do this. He should have been there all along, but better late than never.

Based on the current talent pool, the 'reset' really needs KK to become a legitimate top-6 C and preferably a #1. I am skeptical about this happening, but they've got to do everything they can to revive the possibility, if we're ever going to contend. 

1 hour ago, Easy Ryder said:

I like KK comment after the game saying it was his favorite game this year and how he felt all the coaches behind the bench were trusting him. If he feels trusted by his coaches and not sit after every little mistake he may pass this level of uncertainty that is blocking him. He is a kid took from being a player to develop to the upper level with little noticeable improvements in his game under Julien coaches team. 

In Julien's defence, all NHL coaches are relatively short-term focused, and their priority is to win, using the personnel they have. Planning for the next season -- or the next ten -- is incumbent on the management team. And player development generally happens much more so at the AHL level.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I am shocked that they had the sense to do this. He should have been there all along, but better late than never.

Based on the current talent pool, the 'reset' really needs KK to become a legitimate top-6 C and preferably a #1. I am skeptical about this happening, but they've got to do everything they can to revive the possibility, if we're ever going to contend. 

If the Koivu, Danault, Pleks were #1 centres on this team. Kotkaniemi has a shot, he does not need to be an all star , just reliable and constant 

I hope he is better than that