Bertuzzi's Standing Ovation

BTH

I'm pretty sure we're not allowed to link to Gazette articles or something but if anyone read today's Gazette there was an article by Stu Cowan about Todd Bertuzzi.

He's one of them who was disgusted about Bertuzzi receiving a standing ovation from the Canuck fans. He also seems upset at Wayne Gretzky for showing that "hockey players can get away with anything" after he was chosen for the Canadian Olympic Team.

The rest rants on about Bertuzzi only received 20 games and $500,000 for injuring Steve Moore and the whole situation.

It was a good article.

Just wondering if anyone heard anything about that.

The only reason I believe bertuzzi should be reinstated is because he sat a whole year. Yes everyone was locked out but he was locked out and supspeneded. Bertuzzi is in my fav teams div and I hate seeing him back but he missed something like 15 games before the playoffs and during the playoffs(lost to cgy in game 7). Then Bertuzzi was suspeneded all last season as well. Yes everyone didnt get to play but its been like 2 years since the moore incident... I say suspend him until the pre-season is over and then let him play. The inability to mold with the players coming into the team would be devistating

He can be invited to Training Camp as long as Gretzky has no intention of choosing him for the team which he obviously does because he's wasting a spot at camp.

20 games, the play-offs and $500,000 (and last year's WC) is too little a price for Bertuzzi. The rule where the injurer comes back at the same time as the injuree is fair. Moore gets more punished for being sucker punched and tackled than Bertuzzi does for assaulting and injuring someone just because he bodychecked his teammate in a hockey game a week ealier.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_HabbieThe rule where the injurer comes back at the same time as the injuree is fair. Moore gets more punished for being sucker punched and tackled than Bertuzzi does for assaulting and injuring someone just because he bodychecked his teammate in a hockey game a week ealier.

Actually thats a horrible rule.

If I attempt to kill someone in real life with a gun, but fail, and the guy survives with no injuries what happens? I still goto jail for attempted murder.

Oh the other hand, if I beat a guy to an inch of his life with a baseball bat I'll also goto jail for attempted murder, and probably for the same amount of time as in situation #1.

Look at the Perezhogin/Stafford incident. Stafford was the instigator, he tried to take off Zhog's head, but failed. The AHL screwed up when they gave Perezhogin the longer suspension, they should of at least received equal.

Players should be suspended for the seriousness of the ACT, not the seriousness of the injury. I think its completely ######ed, lets say Begin hits a player from behind into the boards (the player turned his back to Begin at the last minute) , the player goes awkwardly flying into the boards, breaks his neck, ends his career. So your saying Begin should be suspended for life? Thats a joke.

[Edited on 2005-8-22 by puck7x]

I totally agree with you Jake.

Just look at the Belak hacking on Väänänen ... this guy didn't got any suspension, though it was one of the worst things I saw last season. Väänänen was lucky that Belak didn't hit him but IF it would have been an ugly one ...

They already should go after the attemp, not only hand out suspensions if there's an injury.

People should be suspended for attempt to injure as well. But that would make the NHL go crazy. People would be diving left, right and center looking for suspensions. Think of the play-offs.

Also, players will say that they were going for the puck and it was an accident. There will be arguments on every case.

In a situation that there is a succesful attempt to injure then the attacker should sit the period that the victim sits and maybe an extra game.

An accidental injury like the Bégin case will obviously result in no penalty. It happens all the time. No one in their right min would say Bertuzzi was not trying to injure Steve Moore and since Moore was injured Bertuzzi falls in the "succesful attempt-to-injure" category.

Originally posted by HABS Fan Nr.1

Why shouldn't be Bert invited to Team Canada?  

Because Hockey Canada has an ad campaign on going talking about Fair Play and Respecting your Opponent.

It is extremly hypocritical to run commericals like that yet invite the biggest goon in hockey who ended some guys career.

Originally posted by puck7x

Perezhogin/Stafford incident

Perehzogin served how many games? 86? Thats a massive suspension. One of the biggest in pro-sports history. Atleast with Hogin's incident, it was in the heat of the game and he lost his cool for a second.

Bertuzzi, and his fan club won't like me saying this, put a bounty on Moore's head. He hunted him up the ice and instead of being a man and spining him around and dropping his gloves, he slugs him and drives his head into the ice. He gets 20 games.

Bertuzzi is the worst act in NHL history, simply because of the bounty. The weak-kneed NHL has to suffer some blame here. They heard Bertuzzi say all that and did nothing. They should have given strict warning to the Canucks that if anything happened to Moore, Bertuzzi and the organzation would suffer.

Originally posted by Sharks

The only reason I believe bertuzzi should be reinstated is because he sat a whole year. Yes everyone was locked out but he was locked out and supspeneded. Bertuzzi is in my fav teams div and I hate seeing him back but he missed something like 15 games before the playoffs and during the playoffs(lost to cgy in game 7). Then Bertuzzi was suspeneded all last season as well. Yes everyone didnt get to play but its been like 2 years since the moore incident... I say suspend him until the pre-season is over and then let him play. The inability to mold with the players coming into the team would be devistating

20 games, he served 20 games.

Is European leagues under NHL control? No.

Is the IIHF? No.

So those points are obslete. Bertuzzi makes his leaving in the NHL, not playing for Canada or in Europe.

Alot of players didn't go play in Europe, does that mean they were suspended too?

All I know if I get suspended from my work indefinitly and my company has a job action, my suspension would begin when work resumes. They would not consider the job action as part of my suspension.

In a Bits & Pieces, a few days ago it quoted a comedian who said something along the lines of

"Convicts have got to hate hockey players because they serve two minutes for the same crime they did to get 17 years."

So true and Bertuzzi is a perfect example. If Bertuzzi did that to a random person on the streets he would have been arrested for assault and his argument of "he started it" won't win his case for him.

See people forget, Bertuzzi was a hot-head even before this. Perezhogin, for example, had no previous history that I was aware of.

Bertuzzi had been in trouble several times. Back in junior, he boarded another teams bus looking for a fight. He was suspended 10 games a few years ago for coming off the bench to beat the crap outta some guy. And I was just watching Game 7 of the Canucks/Wild series, and with Vancouver down by 1 within minutes left Bertuzzi cross-checked the Wild defensemen into Roloston on purpose, Roloson was hurt, Bertuzzi got a penalty, Wild scored and won the series.

So all these people who sit here and claim Bertuzzi is a saint and how he is a real nice guy, you really need to learn some history on him. He is a punk.

I still tend to lean towards the idea that a player who is judged to have injured another player willfully should be off for as long as the other player is off.

I know that there are weaknesses with this position but I still like that idea. In this case, Bertuzzi doesn't play one more game until the player he injured plays again.

It may seem unfair but I bet it would go a long way towards curbing injuring someone else on purpose. This is definitely not the first incident and it won't be the last either.

In that line of thought, I would be agreable to see Scott Stevens suffer the same kind of punishment for what he's done to other people.

It could be argued that he hit them legally and it was their fault because they weren't looking at where they were going or they shouldn't have kept their heads down but that doesn't have to hold water. Stevens could just as easily have given them a body check or a hip check instead of a 'legal' hit to the head.

I think that that was a case of "Hey, I can do this because it's a legal hit so I'll do it" never taking into account the damage that would likely have taken place by that decision.

This could also be a way of protecting the smaller skill players who get racked into the board in order to 'slow them down' or 'take them out of the play'. That's a whole lot of BS. It's just a modern version of gladiatorial behaviour on the ice.

I have no problems with 'rough' play and even with fights. It's the intentionally hurtful stuff that should be stopped.

There, I've finished preaching.

I'm not going to back my comments up with fancy stats or anything. In my opinion, hockey players put 'bounties' on peoples heads all the time.

A clean check on a star player results in that stars team taking the number of the resulting player. Thats just one example, there are others I'm too lazy to go into them right now.

I'm in the 'action should dictate the penalty not the result' boat.

It was a poor choice Bertuzzi made, I beleive the resulting pile up caused the injury to Moore not the inital punch. Bertuzzi has suffered his penalty, now we should move on. The fact he's invited to Canada's camp makes sense. He's one of the best players we have, I for one would be mad if he wasn't included.

Now, I know this is gonna sound harsh, but this all could have been avoided if Moore had of taken on Bertuzzi like a man. The game was out of hand, or for that matter why would the Avs put Moore on the ice at the end of the game?

Emotion is a strong thing, players play with emotion. In fact we love players that do, we even praise them for that ability. Yet, we sit back and judge players like Bertuzzi who have a history of playing on the edge. We can't have it both ways, either we want players with no emotion that are in control all the time or we have players like Bertuzzi. I for one would vote for Bertuzzi.

Well those are my thoughts, bring on the haters :P

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

I'm pretty sure we're not allowed to link to Gazette articles or something but if anyone read today's Gazette there was an article by Stu Cowan about Todd Bertuzzi.

He's one of them who was disgusted about Bertuzzi receiving a standing ovation from the Canuck fans. He also seems upset at Wayne Gretzky for showing that "hockey players can get away with anything" after he was chosen for the Canadian Olympic Team.

The rest rants on about Bertuzzi only received 20 games and $500,000 for injuring Steve Moore and the whole situation.

It was a good article.

Just wondering if anyone heard anything about that.

i would give him a standing ovation, reason.....Im also from Sudbury!:clap:

i would give him a standing ovation, reason.....Im also from Sudbury!:clap:

I'm from Sudbury too (Minnow Lake area) and I certainly would NOT give Bertuzzi a standing O. :nono:

If the NHL has decided that he has served his 'time', then that's their responsibility. There will be consequences for that decision, for better AND for worse.

To give Bertuzzi a standing O must surely help him to think that, in the end, it was alright to do what he did. :nono:

Originally posted by bar

Now, I know this is gonna sound harsh, but this all could have been avoided if Moore had of taken on Bertuzzi like a man. The game was out of hand, or for that matter why would the Avs put Moore on the ice at the end of the game?  

1) Moore had already been taken care of, he fought Cooke earlier in the game. His fight was over and there was no reason for Bertuzzi to be after him.

2) Granato is an idiot of a coach. I think there was only 8 minutes left and it was 9-2 already, Moore shouldn't of been out there IMO.

3) Bertuzzi stays out as long as Moore is out

But as a die-hard Avs fan, I'm sick of debating this whole incident. Especially since 8 or 9 of these pop up over at the Avs board, just making my stance known. But the bottom line is the NHL has made their decision and theres nothing any of us can do about it so it really doesn't pay to bitch and moan about, we're just wasting our time. I just hope this incident has affected the small peanut he calls a brain and he can learn from it.

Granato is an idiot of a coach. I think there was only 8 minutes left and it was 9-2 already, Moore shouldn't of been out there IMO

I would argue that Marc Crawford should have showed some intelligence and said "He's out there, nobody touch him". Infact I remember Crawford smiling while Moore was laying on the ice. Crawford and Burke encouraged it. A real coach and a real GM would have stopped it before it happened. I would love to have been a fly on the way in that dressing room heading into the third. Crawford prolly the one egging May and Bertuzzi on.

And if a certain poster wants to talk about Moore fighting Bertuzzi like a man, how can he doesn't feel the same about Naslund? Last time I checked Naslund was the one who had the beef with Moore, why didn't he fight him like a man?

Naslund is a yellow chicken ***BEEP***. Little cry baby, whining about "the code" yet he runs and hides behind his teammates the minute something goes wrong.

I tend to agree with Leafs Suck. Naslund is a big wimp that can only talk trash off the ice. He has never done anything to back up his talk. Bert paid his penalty and it should be over now, as he is a good hockey player when he does not lose his cool. It was ugly what happened and I hope this will not be forgotton like the Lemiuex hit on Draper or the Hunter hit on Turgeon. We dont need this crap any longer. Lets play hockey and holler as loud as you can for your favorite Team!

:can:

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

And if a certain poster wants to talk about Moore fighting Bertuzzi like a man, how can he doesn't feel the same about Naslund? Last time I checked Naslund was the one who had the beef with Moore, why didn't he fight him like a man?

Given the way you stated that, I'm guessing you're talking about me and my views on the Perezhogin incident. Comparing the two is ridiculous. In the Bertuzzi case, the "fighting him like a man" qoute would refer to Bertuzzi. If Todd wanted to stand up for his teammate, he should have gotten Moore with a good, clean hit or fought him face-to-face. Instead, like Perezhogin, he made a bad decision and fought back in a really stupid way. Only difference is that Bertuzzi had time to think about it.

When it comes to standing up for oneself or one's teammates, this is my view:

1. If someone lays a dirty hit on you and you can fight back, then go ahead and do it.

2. If you stay down and are hurt, or the guy who hit you is a legitimate NHl tough guy, then let your goon take care of things for you. There's no sense fighting back if you're just going to get the tar beat out of you.

In this case, Naslund couldn't fight back immediately. It was therefore his teammates'responsibility to stand up for him. That should have been done in that game, and not carried over into the next. Making sure you lay into the guy a few times or fight him once is more than enough.

In this case, Bertuzzi obviously went way too far. Moore had already fought at least once, and that should have been enough, aside from a few good, clean hits.

Who said Naslund had to drop the gloves?

It's a few days later, he has time to think, he's not rushed. All he has to do is lay a clean body check or two on Moore and end his shift. He doesn't have to fight, but he doesn't have to hide either.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

Who said Naslund had to drop the gloves?

It's a few days later, he has time to think, he's not rushed. All he has to do is lay a clean body check or two on Moore and end his shift. He doesn't have to fight, but he doesn't have to hide either.

Actually, I think the time between Moore's hit and Bertuzzi was around a month if I recall. I know there was a game inbetween the two because Moore wasn't playing in it, he was in Hershey.

And Leafs Suck, you're right about Crawford. I remember having to download the incident onto the computer just to get a clear view of what happened (this was the same night, I had no idea they'd replay it to death).

Crawford was standing there on the bench with the biggest grin on his face and it was right there that I seethed with rage. He is one of the most classless people in the league, not only from that but with the way he handled his departure from Colorado back in '98. I've had no respect for him since then. But with the whole bounty deal, I thought Granato might've known better. I think I'm just biased against him, he's a pretty bad coach. He went too high too quickly.

I look forward to the end of October. Bertuzzi is gonna have to be in our house two nights in a row, 27th and 29th. I can only hope for the sweep.