Blue Jackets vs Canadiens 11:00am(PT) Feb 2 2020

Trizzak

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

There is a difference between an excuse and an analysis 

Not having enough talent to be able to overcome all the forward injuries, as well as price not being at his best is an analysis, not an excuse.

Its an escape goat excuse, that has been used the past what 5 years now. no one blames Depth or lack of talent or management........ But everyone blames injuries and the guy making 10mil.

In today's NHL you can't win with just 1 elite player its just to deep of a league. You need depth and balance from top to bottom in your organization. Something Montreal has never had.

It all went down hill when they took down the "no excuses" sign in the dressing room

For the past 4 years they can't even sign a backup goalie to rest Price, 

they have 2 maybe 3 wins with back ups this year 

19 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Its an escape goat excuse, that has been used the past what 5 years now. no one blames Depth or lack of talent or management........ But everyone blames injuries and the guy making 10mil.

In today's NHL you can't win with just 1 elite player its just to deep of a league. You need depth and balance from top to bottom in your organization. Something Montreal has never had.

When i say they didnt have enough talent to overcome the injuries... thats what i am saying.

You focus on the injuries and missed the nuance of what was written.

Thats why it is an analysis and not an excuse.

13 minutes ago, Chris said:

It all went down hill when they took down the "no excuses" sign in the dressing room

For the past 4 years they can't even sign a backup goalie to rest Price, 

they have 2 maybe 3 wins with back ups this year 

Price also has the most starts of any goalie in the NHL.  Around the league we are seeing that a little rest goes a long way for goalies.  This would especially be true for Price, who is in his 30s. 

A backup capable of winnin 17 or 18 games with 30 starts should be a priority this summer 

41 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Price also has the most starts of any goalie in the NHL.  Around the league we are seeing that a little rest goes a long way for goalies.  This would especially be true for Price, who is in his 30s. 

A backup capable of winnin 17 or 18 games with 30 starts should be a priority this summer 

Agreed 100%. Price cannot carry a team on his back any more. Surround him with team that can play sound defence and cut his workload to 50 games, and I believe you will see "classic Price" again - that's to say, a guy who is implacably and calmly excellent game after game.

Whether the Habs will be able to provide him with this environment is another question.

As for injuries, look, the team was a bubble team going in, so health was always going to be a major consideration. Anyone looking at injuries as an excuse, though, should consider how healthy the blueline has been. Imagine if Petry or Weber missed significant time - yikes.

Watch when Bergevin has his year end press conference this is what he will bring up

1) he believes this is a playoff team and that's always the goal to make the playoffs.

2) then he will blame the injuries to key players like Gallagher and Armia, Byron 

3) then he will throw players under the bus that under preformed, Kotkaniemi, domi, just to name a few. He will say they need to be better and take the next step.

4) then he will do it to price and say if the team is to have any success price needs to be better.

Pretty much the same BS he has said the last 5 years. Pretty much pointing the finger at everyone / everything but himself.

• Upvote 1

I don't look at injuries as an excuse. It is simply one of the contributing factors for the Habs not being in a playoff spot. There are many other contributing factors. Those will be analyzed to death on this board I am sure if they haven't been already.  Again, I always like to look forward and figure out next steps to get them to the level where we all want them to be. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Watch when Bergevin has his year end press conference this is what he will bring up

1) he believes this is a playoff team and that's always the goal to make the playoffs.

2) then he will blame the injuries to key players like Gallagher and Armia, Byron 

3) then he will throw players under the bus that under preformed, Kotkaniemi, domi, just to name a few. He will say they need to be better and take the next step.

4) then he will do it to price and say if the team is to have any success price needs to be better.

Pretty much the same BS he has said the last 5 years. Pretty much pointing the finger at everyone / everything but himself.

This is a clip 'n save post for sure. The only one of these I doubt is (4), which is less sure-fire than the others.

How can it be MB's fault, after all? Who could possibly have anticipated that doing ZERO to improve upon a team that missed the playoffs last year, would result in a team missing the playoffs?? Come on, man, he's not Nostradamus 🙄

• Upvote 1

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity 

I can't remember who said drafting was good but they must have forgotten about that decade after 2008

look at this mess, that guy got a promotion 

https://www.hockeydb.com/...aft/teams/dr00006929.html

17 minutes ago, Chris said:

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity 

I can't remember who said drafting was good but they must have forgotten about that decade after 2008

From 2008-2015 it was a mess, with the exception of 1 or two later picks.  Still hope for some of the more recent draft picks.  What I don’t get is how many college players they keep drafting very few high picks out of Europe as well.

4 hours ago, Chris said:

The last 2 years has been good when it comes to drafting , in large part due to 2 things. 1) Bergevin changed from thinking big gritty players with no skill was still successful, too drafting speed and skilled players Ment for today's NHL. 2) they missed the playoffs and finished close to the bottom which Allowed them to draft better players.

The problem is that we have no NHL ready prospects that are top 6 that can fill in for injuries right now because of his old way of thinking, and our development of players the last 7 years has been garbage. That's all on Bergevin.

With the changes last year to our development department and the change in drafting hopefully in 4 years time we will have the talent to call up and fill in when we have injuries and see different results.