Guess Who

BTH

Is it just me or are the Habs a very versatile and flexible team this year?

With Dandenault's ability to go from a two-way defenseman to a two-way winger, Bonk going from a big (also two-way) center to a winger, Bulis (extremely two-way) going from strong defense to (possibly) strong offense in the blink of an eye, Bégin playing the bodies one moment and playing the puck the next, Higgins playing a strong two-way game, Koivu adding assists and defense to his goals and the occasional use of Vandermeer can transform the Habs from one extreme to the other.

The bottom two lines will be fun to watch. Offense, defense and grit combined and masked only to be revealed between two quick shifts.

Veterans and youth. Speed and size. O and D. Center or Winger.

The Habs will have much more to them than can be seen by the naked eye. Defensive forwards, versatile players and players who can play more than one position are the key to our double-team. Depending on which side of each player shows up we may see some interesting hockey. Julien can master these sides and use the right abilities of each player in the right game, I think the Habs can exceed expectations.

Edit: And I forgot about Perezhogin's ability to play at either wing.

[Edited on 2005/8/22 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

Hehe...

:/)

Nice one!

The Habs will have a great amount of unpredictability this season. Let's hope it doesn't backfire into inconsistency.

I don't know if Montreal being versatile or flexible as you call it, is as important as them having upgraded the skill level of the team. Skill leads to making plays, scoring chances and ultimatley goals.

I think Hossa, Perezhogin, and Higgins are an upgrade over Dackell, Dowd, and Juneau, even though there still unproven talents, so of course the upside is temendous.

If Hainsey can stick around and possibly become a top 4 defensman like the Habs hoped when they drafted him, then Komisarek, Hainsey and Dandenault, will definiltey be a major upgrade from Patrick Traverse, Karl Dykhuis, Stephane Quintal and in some defensive respects Patrice Brisebois.

I think this is how Montreal has improved since the 2003-2004 season

[Edited on 2005/8/22 by kaos]

The new "skilled" players bring in flexibility at the same moment. More youth. Perogy plays either wing. Bonk can play center or wing. Dandeneault can play defenseman or forward. Vandermeer, Aitken and Ivanans for back-up size.

Gainey has set us up.

Your description of the team is very interesting and encouraging. It seems to be well thought out too. Thanks - I like to be encouraged.

Originally posted by shortcat1

Your description of the team is very interesting and encouraging. It seems to be well thought out too. Thanks - I like to be encouraged.

I like to encourage.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

Dandeneault can play defenseman or forward.

This is my favourite part of him being signed. I don't think he was brought in to replace Brisebois.

I think Hainsey is supposed to replace Brisebois.

Whether he does or not is up in the air, but if he plays like he's supposed to have been playing then I think he fills the offensive void Breezer left behind.

If he busts out, Dandenault is the plug for the void on D. But I think he'll start the year as a forward.

[Edited on 2005/8/23 by Trizzak]

I hope Montreal is not paying 1.7 mil for this guy to play on the 3rd or 4th line. For that price, they could of had a much better forward than Dandenault. Let's just hope this guy can play defense or he'll replace Brisebois as the new whipping boy.

I'm not sure what kind iof offensive game Dandenault would play. Since he's a d-man he probably plays a defensive game. But I really like Sundstrom's checking games and he goes well with Bonk and Bulis. To me, he'd go on the fourth line and take the place of another rookie.

They might try this in the exhibition games. Try Hainsey, Bouillon, Higgins, Hossa, Plekanec and Perezhogin just to see if they belong on the team. It's very douvtful that Dandenault will play full time forward for a large part of the season.

But it's funny because a few years back, I went to an exhibition game against Boston. This was just after the Breezer season. I watched these two horrible goalies, Mathieu Garon and Eric Fichaud, let in some bad goals (the latter more). I also saw a defenseman that had been called up. Ron Hainsey. Me and my dad saw him cough up the puck a few times and immediately compared him to Brisebois. The rest of the fans also booed him quite a bit. We ended up winning though.

Just because you said Hainsey was to replace Brisebois.

I really think it's good to have almost as much versatility as Johnny Depp (Hell Yeah!!:-^) and I expect to kick some Maple Leaf ass this season.

Originally posted by High&Inside

I hope Montreal is not paying 1.7 mil for this guy to play on the 3rd or 4th line.  For that price, they could of had a much better forward than Dandenault.   Let's just hope this guy can play defense or he'll replace Brisebois as the new whipping boy.

Montreal is paying him 1.7 mil to be versatile. Someone who can play both defense and forward is valuable.

Originally posted by Trizzak
Originally posted by High&Inside

I hope Montreal is not paying 1.7 mil for this guy to play on the 3rd or 4th line.  For that price, they could of had a much better forward than Dandenault.   Let's just hope this guy can play defense or he'll replace Brisebois as the new whipping boy.

Montreal is paying him 1.7 mil to be versatile. Someone who can play both defense and forward is valuable.

BULLS EYE!!!

And that brings us back to the point of the thread: Versatility. Bonk is considered overpaid but he can play center or winger which greatly helps. Since the Habs have so many prospects and extra players. Gainey might be trying to make it easier to trade. If he makes a trade with this roster, he can shuffle around the players and still have everyone in a position they can play. Last year's team would have needed awkward lines.