Kariya

loudi94

Originally posted by loudi94

Did he just screw over the NHLPA?  Specifically Fedorov.  Signing for 1.2 M for a chance at a cup is admirable but did he shoot himself and his colleagues in the foot for 2004 negotiations?

He didnt really screw them over , by taking 1.2 and below the league average it enables him to become a UFA again next season ,

Kariya has the chance to drive up his price after he has a great season playing with Superstars in Colorado , he could land a huge contract next summer (CBA might be a problem though) ...

IMO he screw more Sather than the NHLPA. Players accept low salary to play with Colorado, and other ask the moon to play in NY hehe.

Kariya will be a UFA next summer... but i think he shoot a ball in his own feet. He should have sign a long term deal now.. instead of waiting next year where the new CBA could affect considerably the amount he would have had the chance to get. He could have sign 5 years for 50 millions this year. Next year i don't think he'll be able to get 10M/year.

I don't think it screw Fedorov.. since everyone know kariya accepted less than the average salary to be eligible for UFA next summer and won the cup next year.

Maybe it will give the idea to Fedorov to sign cheap with Colorado ? lol ;)

Colorado needs a defensive center for their 3rd line! Selke's Fedorov is the perfect fit :)

Now what if Kariya gets hurt? Career ending stuff. Could cost him millions. He must be at a point where he has enough money for a lifetime or two. Another precedent- he's saying I have enough and don't need much more. Once again bad news for the PA.

Now what if Kariya gets hurt? Career ending stuff. Could cost him millions.  

Another precedent- he's saying I have enough and don't need much more. Once again bad news for the PA.

yes, you're right.. pretty unusual

it's very risky like you said.. but maybe the Stanley Cup is that important! everyone knows Anaheim has no chance to go in the Finals again.. not before 10 years or more. It's like Florida, Carolina... they got their chance.. that's pretty impossible to repeat a miracle two consecutive times. so nice move by kariya

He must be at a point where he has enough money for a lifetime or two.

hehe lol

i won't be sad for him only making 1.2 millions this year

Originally posted by loudi94

Are we to the point in the NHL where it is conceivable that all players could be paid 1 Million a season regardless of where they play?  Then tack on bonuses for team play.  Could work.

that would be a dream world

i doubt that it will be accepted

every professional sporstman should be paid according to their performance. it's logical

like tennis, golf. well, it's more complicated to do with a team sport.. because if we create personal bonus, the game will dramatically change to the worse.

like you said, a bonus system according to team performance sounds be the good direction

Originally posted by sakiqc

that would be a dream world

i doubt that it will be accepted

every professional sporstman should be paid according to their performance. it's logical

like tennis, golf. well, it's more complicated to do with a team sport.. because if we create personal bonus, the game will dramatically change to the worse.

like you said, a bonus system according to team performance sounds be the good direction

The "flashy" players would profit from endorsements. Like the movie Baseketball.

My respect for Kariya has increased 100x over the last month.

The recovery from the Scott Stevens hit...

The leadership on the Anaheim team...

Going to a team for almost a 10th of his former salary...

And making the CBA negotiations much better next year.

Kariya is now up there with Lemieux and Gretzky (IMO) for the most respected NHL player.

It sets an example for the younger players who were looking for cash over glory.

Sure, Colorado might be a great team (even without Roy), but he even defies his buddy Selanne, who makes 3x more than him.

Paul Kariya, you da man!

Everybody says Kariya screwed the NHLPA by signing so low. I think it's the complete opposite.

Everybody knows he signed for 1.2M to be under the league and take advantage of a loophole in the CBA... so he could remain a UFA next year, while this year he'll pad his stats on this virtual All-Star team to be in a better negotiating position... next year.

Nobody will be able to use the 1.2M amount in arbitration cases... c'mon now, get real.

To me this is a victory of the NHLPA over the owners. They're saying "if you want to play hardball and stop qualifying your star players, they'll sign somewhere else even if the offer is lower just to punish you".

The next team who is thinking about not qualifying their star in hopes he'll stay with them at a lower salary will have to think twice now... and that's GOOD for the NHLPA.