Feb. 8, Maple Leafs vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If Montreal wants him, we will have to pay market rate. Bergevin has a tendency to bail instead of paying up (see Radulov, Markov). That's why we'll lose Kovalchuk.

I agree with your first sentence. But only the first one.

I would like us to resign Kovalchuk. I thought it was a bad pick up at the time because I wanted a better draft pick. But i was wrong and it was a good pick up by Bergevin. We finally have a balance forward group , and if in the off season  we add a top playmaking D we could have a really good team. But what I would do is fill his contract full on bonuses, give him something like 4.5mil plus 2mil in bonuses.  6.5mil I think he would stay. We can trade Byron to clear up even more cap space.

I dont understand why anyone would even think to consider trading kovalchuk at all! Certainly not for a 2nd!

I'm offering him 2 x 6million plus some Advertising deals... we can trade him for a 3rd rounder in 2022...

12 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

This guy isnt taking a bonus laden contract...

If he continues with this trajectory hes getting 6  with his eyes closed.... 

7-8 seems more realistic to me, but I haven't done a market analysis or anything. Term more than coin may be tricky.

2 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Agreed.  I have no interest in a 2nd round pick...not worth what Kovalchuk is to us as a player, or what he will be worth to us as a comforting presence for Romanov.

You make a good point about Romanov, having a countryman like Kovy might be the tipping point in his decision to come over. 

What a great night!!  Love beating the Leafs. Had to go out 1/2 way through the period, checking my phone all the time, great surprise when I saw the score. 

10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

7-8 seems more realistic to me, but I haven't done a market analysis or anything. Term more than coin may be tricky.

There are few data points for 36yo elite forwards that are still producing. He's been in the $6-7M range all his career, but with longer contracts. At this stage, he might be happy in the same range, assuming he actually wants to stay.

I agree that term is the big question. No one knows how long he can play at this level, or close to it. A long-term contract would be madness, but two years should still be OK.

What a game! Love this no quit team

Loving how Suzuki is cementing his role as 2C

Liked how Domi was more engaged and how Drouin-Domi-Lehkonen seems to show promise

I can’t wait to go to the office and poke fun at my leaf’s loving friend

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He came back in the game.

So he did! I checked the shift chart and indeed he did play in the third, although less than usual. Presumably nothing broken, then, maybe just playing with some pain.

25 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

So he did! I checked the shift chart and indeed he did play in the third, although less than usual. Presumably nothing broken, then, maybe just playing with some pain.

He was interviewed on RDS after the game. He had a smile on when asked how his hand felt. Seemed like he didn’t want to say much, except being dismissive and saying that his hand was “fine”