Hossa for Heatley

Vermont Hab

Hand them the cup!!?:?-

This move, if not stagnation is REGRESSION! There's no way this has improved the Sens. If you take a good look at their line-up you'll see they're not so hot as people think. Remember they lost Bondra and they have 1 good scoring line and 1/3 of a second.

Don't forget they don't have proven goaltending. Well re-proven goaltending.

Vancouver and Calgary are the top 2 Canadian teams. Ottawa seems not far ahead of Montreal and Toronto barely behind Montreal. Edmonton is a good deal behind.

Edit: And it's true. Ottawa did just lose Todd Simpson. They still have the big 3 though.

[Edited on 2005/8/23 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

[Edited on 2005/8/23 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

Originally posted by Trizzak

Sorry guys, but if Hasek proves effective then I gotta go with Ottawa as the top team.

In the conference or in Canada? Or in the NHL? And don't forget they still might have to ship away a top 3 defenseman. The Redden rumours haven't died yet.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie
Originally posted by Trizzak

Sorry guys, but if Hasek proves effective then I gotta go with Ottawa as the top team.

In the conference or in Canada? Or in the NHL? And don't forget they still might have to ship away a top 3 defenseman. The Redden rumours haven't died yet.

Division and Conference. Perhaps not NHL because I haven't been paying too much attention to the Western Conference.

Sure the Sens won't have Bondra. But they didn't have Bondra for most of last season and they were still a great team. Quite frankly, I think if Hasek can play like Hasek then they can afford to lose Greg De Vries.

But the problem is Hasek CAN'T play like Hasek. He was the greatest goalie in the NHL maybe 8 years ago or so. Now he's 40-somehting and can't keep up with his former self.

Also, I don't think the Sens did a single signing in the off-season. The other teams are catching up to them now. They also lose Bondra who they had for the play-offs and still lost in an early round.

They've lost Bonk. A big player who can't have played second line winger. Now they have a question mark with Spezza playing 3rd line center.

Havlat-Heatley-Alfredsson is a great first line but

Schaefer-Smolinski-(Chris)Neil isn't a contending team's second line.

On Defense, they lost Leschysyn, de Vries and Simpson.

Also, they has Lalime last year who was more capable than Hasek is now despite his poor play in the playoffs.

Ottawa is a worse team than they were last year and no way will they win the Conference and are doubtful to beat out Boston for the division.

Ottawa doesn't get ripped THAT bad but Atlanta is that improved. With this trade Ottawa drops into the play-off race and Atlanta jumps into it.

In my book, teams fighting for the bottom 4 playoff positions are Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Florida, Pittsburgh and Atlanta. So of course the 5 seed is in my playoff race because they can go form 5th to 8th and they can switch with those other teams.

Anyway, like I said before, Atlanta gets Stanley CUp experience and a defenseman plus they exchange great forwards and they edge that swap with a slightly better player.

My beloved Atlanta is charging to the top. And did I mention it's Atlanta who's making a move on the Ottawa's Peter Bondra?:king:

But the problem is Hasek CAN'T play like Hasek. He was the greatest goalie in the NHL maybe 8 years ago or so. Now he's 40-somehting and can't keep up with his former self.

Also, I don't think the Sens did a single signing in the off-season. The other teams are catching up to them now. They also lose Bondra who they had for the play-offs and still lost in an early round.

They've lost Bonk. A big player who can't have played second line winger. Now they have a question mark with Spezza playing 3rd line center.

Havlat-Heatley-Alfredsson is a great first line but

Schaefer-Smolinski-(Chris)Neil isn't a contending team's second line.

On Defense, they lost Leschysyn, de Vries and Simpson.

Also, they has Lalime last year who was more capable than Hasek is now despite his poor play in the playoffs.

Ottawa is a worse team than they were last year and no way will they win the Conference and are doubtful to beat out Boston for the division.

I'll concede you the points on losing Bonk and 3 defensemen. Okay, they've regressed. But saying Lalime is better than Hasek is just...I dunno man...

Belfour plays well as a 40 year old, I think Hasek can too. That being said, goaltending is their question mark. If Hasek proves to be a mistake, they're ######ed.

Ottawa does have depth to make some trades still. I think they'll be the contender in the division. Yes, still better than Boston.

Spezza is a center so would play behind Bryan Smolinski.

And I didn't say Lalime was better than Hasek but Lalime has more upside. Due to Hasek's age there's a limit that he can't cross. Lalime can cross it at his best just not on average.

But if you admit they've regressed why do you think they will be first in the Conference??

Originally posted by Prime Minister Koivu

Hassek is a nut case, he might not even finish the season.  

I agree with Leafs Suck, Ottawa got ripped and ripped big time.

I bet Hossa is pissed.

As someone who cheers for the Red Wings cuz of Yzerman, I must say I doubted Hasek when he went to Detroit. He played outstanding that playoffs and won the Cup.

This is a different story. Since then he's retired, some back, got injuried and not being a team player.

Lalime was a major problem for Ottawa in last years playoffs, but don't forget the coach refused to dress Spezza and their top guns weren't firing. With a right coach, which I think they now have, that series would have been done in 5.

Lalime wasn't a horrible goalie, not as bad as some made him out to be. However, at this point I'd probably rather have him then Hasek. Their are way too many question marks around him, mainly his committment.

Plus, when is the last time a 40+ year old goalie lead a team to the Cup?

Originally posted by giupietrantonio

Didn't Ottawa just lose Todd Simpson or was he with Anaheim. Well, if he was with Ottawa that will be two defensmen gone in less then a week. Whats Ottawa doing???

Simpson, who is a quality leader and defender, signed in Chicago.

They also lost Rachunek in the de Vries deal, and well de Vries today.

Three quality bluelines.

They better hope Volcheknkov doesn't get hurt again.

Vancouver and Calgary are the top 2 Canadian teams. Ottawa seems not far ahead of Montreal and Toronto barely behind Montreal. Edmonton is a good deal behind.

As of right now, I'd rank the Canadian teams as follows:

1) Calgary

2) Ottawa

3) Vancouver

4) Montreal

5) Edmonton

6) Toronto

After we all agreed on Ottawa going way down hill? They lose Dackell, Bonk, de Vries, Arvedson, Lalime, Hossa, Brooks Laich, Simpson, Rachunek, etc since their best days at the top of the league. They have gained a past-his prime Hasek and Dany Heatley.

If that's not downhill I don't know what is. Oh wait I do.

How about the Leafs losing Leetch, Marchment, Nolan, Francis, Mogilny, Berehowsky, Kidd, Yushkevich, etc, etc since last year.

And how about the Caps ditching Bondra, Oates, Gonchar, Konowalchuk and Jagr last year for a prospect or two?

Ottawa is no way ahead of Vancouver and they may find themselves behind Montreal too. But Toronto beats Edmonton in my book.Calgary looks to lead the Canadians this year.

Originally posted by Prime Minister Koivu I agree with Leafs Suck, Ottawa got ripped and ripped big time.  

When I was in university, to say "I was ripped" meant that I was really high (on grass??). In this case, Ottawa is certainly ripped. This is like a super-grass high - what we used to call ACAPULCO GOLD or CAMBODIAN RED.

Very nice move, Ottawa.

Looks about even to me. Hossa and Kovalchuk on the same line, that's gonna be scary shooting right there.

On the other hand, Ottawa's finally getting the character player they lacked in the past. Heatley and Spezza will be a scary duo.

Are you guys sure Heatley is as healthy is Hossa? What about his knee? What about his vision? What about his emotional state of mind?

I am yet unsure of the victor of this trade, but Heatley has a hill to climb in my books and Hossa does not. All Hossa has to do is light it up with Kovalchuk...

If Heatley gets back to the form he showed then Ottawa has made a sweet deal...otherwise...we'll see...