Does Gainey make a trade?

Carbo21

I was wondering who thinks Gainey is going to make a trade sometime between the start of camp and the start of the season?

We've got lots of upcoming young talent and we are limited on spots for them to fill. I could see Gainey packaging up Cube (Bouillon), Steit or Hainsey with a forward like Plekanec or Hossa and sending them to a team looking to free up some room. In return, I can see a solid 2nd line d-man coming back our way.

Just a thought, but IMO, Gainey sticks with status quo and rolls the dice with who we've got. In fact, other than maybe picking up an NHL quality goon/tough guy, I don't think Gainey will make any moves until January some time.

With all the crazy rumors montreal has been involved in lately something big is underneath it all. I'm not sure why the contract talks with theo and ryder are so hush hush.

There is no reason for ryder to be running such a tough negotiation, and Theo he is bummin me out a little. I have to tell you guys , I'm kind of hoping the rumor with Luongo is true even if it costs us Ryder......Things are just way to quiet for the moment.

Don't you dare hope for that rumour to be true.

About the goon trade. We still have Bégin who is better than any goon. We signed Vandermeer, Ivanans and Aitken (not a goon but a big D, call-up). I don't see why Gainey would let Langdon go if he needed him.

It seems the Habs have a new goon every season. Let's stick with Bégin as our half-goon.

As for the trade. I hope he trades some of our prospects like Hossa and Plekanec and or/ a D-man like Cube or Hainsey. We have so many players like them that we constantly see fighting for the team and may or may not ever make it. I'm actually kind of annoyed when I see all those names. I don't know why. But we'd need a REAL defenseman in return. Play-off experience and tough. One that can also find the back of the net.

Aucoin, Rafalski, Hamrlik. You know.

But I think trades will be sporadic with Gainey. But I trust him. He's probably the best GM in the NHL. Or one of them.

Unless the Habs get a big, talented defenseman or an enforcer, no good trade can possibly happen with the habs. Make that good and realistic.

Why do we have to trade? It sort of amazes me that more teams don't try the RFA route...

For example rumor is Jay Bouwmeester is looking for a 3 year 3 million a year deal (ish) and FLA wants him to prove himself first.

What if we go after him and try and sign him for that? According to the link below we would give up a First-round and third-round choice should FLA not match the offer.

http://www.nhl.com/players/freelist05.html

Yes we are out a couple picks.. but with us being pretty deep with prospects already we could make the sacrifice. Plus, who can guarentee that the picks would be as good as Jay anyways..

Just some thoughs..

~arc~

EDIT: Grammer

[Edited on 2005/8/23 by Arcnail]

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

But you can't just snatch any player with the draft picks, can you?

The team has to agree first.

It's not a trade. The team currently owning the rights to the player has the opportunity to match the offer to a restricted free agent, or accept the draft picks (as outlined, not negotiable) as compensation.

No , I think that any team can make an offer of whatever they want then Florida would have the right to match the offer. If they choose not to then they get compinsated for. All the compinsation is pre-determined depending on what free agency status the player is under.

Could be a good move but the question is does Gainey feel Jay is worth 3 mil to the habs let alone coughing up some picks too.

If Jay was such a proven steal wouldn't have some teams gone for him already?

The Habs don't need the picks and Bouwmeester is better than anyone they would have picked anyway. (Most likely.) The Habs are hesitant because they are near the salary cap and because they already have many defenseman. It would mean trading Rivet and another d-man or two for new draft picks and/or future considerations.

You would really think that something would be up with Bob seeing that Ryder, Theo and Markov are not yet signed.

If there was .. discrepancies.. I'm sure they could just sign for one year like Koivu and such. Training camp is a week away here...

I really think Bob is trying to do something and using these 3 in possible trade combinations.

Of course what he could be looking for I don't know, cause if he just signed them (none of that should be hard while keeping us a couple million under the cap for injuries) I think we would have a solid team now and in the future.

I'm not convinced that there is a link between the fact that Theo, Markov and Ryder are unsigned and that trade rumours are flying. Look at what Ottawa did, signed Hossa for 3 years, then moved him right after. If they hadn't signed him, he'd be a UFA next year, just like Theo.

I am also not convinced that we need a trade to "keep up" with some of the moves other teams have made. I find it amusing that I read things like "I trust BG" quickly followed by "we need to ditch Hainsey, Plekanec and <Insert Random Prospect Here> for another d-man or forward".

If you really trust BG, then perhaps you will recognize that he builds his team based on a lot better info than we will ever have, never mind his understanding of the subtleties of chemistry and roles and leadership and work ethic.

But hey, we are all entitled to our opinions...

BTW, i am not taking a shot at a specific person here, i just see some patterns in a few threads here and i find it interesting.

I simply prefer to see what we've got before we start pulling the trigger...

I just can't believe we have to wait another 40 + days for the season to start!!!

Heheh.. you better not because I'm the only one to say that in this thread:o

I meant we don't NEED a trade but they can be helpful. It's impossible to have a perfect team so matter what your roster is a trade can help you.

I trust Bob Gainey not to screw us over trade or no but I do think that a minor trade might improve our team.

He's a good GM and he knows what he's doing. Better than Muckler anyway.

There is no room under the Montreal cap for a $3 Million dollar player.

And if they did sign him, who do they get rid of? Craig Rivet? Nobody is going to trade for Craig Rivet who makes $2,660,000 a year, not even for future considerations or a 8th round pick or a used puck bag. Thats just way too much of someones cap.

Which means you have to get rid of around $3 Million worth of players salaries just to bring somebody in. That could mean as many as 4 or 5 players. All just for 1 defensman. Its not as simple as you may think.

As for why Markov, Ryder and Theodore haven't signed? Well I imagine that negoatiations are stuck with one of the players, and the other two haven't gotten into serious negotiations other than offer sheets. You only negoatiate with one person at a time. I would imagine its probably Theodore, since he's the most expensive. After you sign him,t hen you see what kinda cap room you have left over for the other two guys.

[Edited on 2005/8/24 by kaos]

Thank God, Rivet's contract is almost up. Then we can let him go or give him a new contract worth half as much money.

I read something interesting the other day and I can't remember where. Rivet is like number 9 or 10 on the list of most games played in a montreal jersey. It was like 5 hundred and something. Larry Robinson was number 1 with 1200 games and Breeze-by was at like 7 hundred and something somwhere inbetween them.

He must be doing something right that we don't see or hear in the dressing room for gainy to keep him around.

The one thing that I can think of is handling the media. That guy always sheilds everyone and says the right thing and has a good understanding of how to not let the media get into all the other guys heads.

In Montreal that may be worth 3 million dollars because without that the team could easily break apart.

Let's just say his role is more important then we could even imagine and we should be careful what we wish for.

If Zednik has to answer to the media we are in trouble.

Nope, nada, nyet, nein, non. NO TRADES!!!

He's going to work with what he's got in order to develop the strong foundation that he has been given by Savard and others.

Just FYI my RFA / Jay B talk with Florida was just illustrating that we didn't really need to 'trade' anyone (well picks) and that I'm just suprised that more teams don't try it.

I didn't say that the Habs should do it ;)

As for me thinking something is up with not having these 3 (Theo, Ryder, Markov) signed.. I just look at what we have spent..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=6926

24 Million + max 4 Million for the 5 undisclosed.

28 Million.

This gives us 10 million.. or probably 8 Million leaving us with a couple million for injuries or whatever.

Say Theo 5..

Ryder at 1.4

Markov.. say 1.6

So there's the 8 Million. Now Theo isn't taking 5 Million... Thank the Bulin Wall for that.. Ryder is looking for a long term deal and he did get 25 goals last year.. Markov is younger, has speed... and most definitely is one of our better D men.

Bottom line I don't know if we can sign these 3 guys.

When you can't sign because of $$ constraints.. you trade.

These are just thoughts.. I take no offense in people disagreeing with them.. what fun is there in people agreeing with you when talking hockey :)

Habless in Nashville, you just made some wicked points in my book! All of those intangible team attributes that some guys bring to the dressing room and beyond are hard to define and we fans see very few of them...

I have never been a huge Rivet fan, but you're right about some of the other things he brings to the table.

I may be crazy, but i am very hesitant to give Ryder any kind of serious money after ONE season of production. Especially when Markov is still unsigned and is a far more important cog in the wheel than Ryder...

Theodore wants lots of money thanks to Khabibulin. Gainey is waiting to sign Theodore to move on so the other two haven't been signed either.

As for Rivet, he's not worth 2.66 million dollars. Or close to it. We can resign him, I don't care but not unless he accepts half his contract. He's eating our payroll and that's worse than knowing how to talk to the media is good. He shields the other players from the media but he also shields them from their salary that he is stealing and Gainey can no longer afford to give them.

I think that Theodore is waiting to see what happenes to Luongo in arbitration before he gets a contract done.

Should be interesting to see how close Luongo getting his contract, and Theo getting his made are.

Originally posted by Macaskill

I think that Theodore is waiting to see what happenes to Luongo in arbitration before he gets a contract done.

Should be interesting to see how close Luongo getting his contract, and Theo getting his made are.

Theo is good but should not get a penny more than what luongo will get!:)