Lazy Last Minute GDT: Habs at Bruins

Commandant

11 minutes ago, Chris said:

You don't need a pre season warm up to not make beer league passes and not hustle after you make a beer league play. 

It’s biased because Drouin was hustling hard yesterday. Sure, there will be a moment or three you remember where he wasn’t hustling because that’s what you wanted to see. I can remember a few instances where he was back checking hard and causing turnovers, and I wasn’t even looking for it.

I agree that it’s an easy prediction to make that someone will be off their game when they come back after a 3 month break. Soft player or not. 

He easily could have had a primary assist when Domi hit the post and I saw him skating hard on the back check when the Habs were losing. On one of those plays he caused a turnover from the Bruins player and circled back the other way for a dangerous rush. Of course, he also turned the puck over a few times as well... such as the empty net goal against.

For the record, I didn’t like the Sergachev trade (one of the few I haven’t) but it’s definitely understandable that a player will show rust after 3 months off. Also, while Drouin sometimes looks out of it, I still see him put in a strong effort from time to time while people continue to criticize him blindly. Yesterday, he was hustling, mixed in with silly turnovers. Drouin in a nutshell, I suppose. 

34 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Oh the Habs fought and played hard for sure but they were outmatched in every area of the ice and it wasn't even close

Are they less talented than Boston?  Yup, boston is in first in the division.  They were one win from a stanley cup last year.  Are we overmatched talent wise?  Yeah, of course.

Does that make them soft?  Does that mean the bench was down and ready to quit?  No, thats not what i saw.

44 minutes ago, Chris said:

You don't need a pre season warm up to not make beer league passes and not hustle after you make a beer league play. 

When you arent up to speed... you think you have more time than you do.

A pass you think is going to get through doesnt get through cause you didnt anticipate the speed of your opponent.

When you arent up to speed, you can be out of gas during a shift.  Endurance isnt there. You alsonarent 100% of your skating ability to begin with.  This means it looks like you are dogging it even if you are giving effort.

Again im not going to judge much til hes had 10 games to knock the rust off.

I agree that we need to give Drouin a bit of a break because he was off for a long time. Drouin clearly worked his ass off last night and my frustration with him started with the neutral zone pass that was easily intercepted and resulted in a good Boston goal. I have my doubts that he has the hockey IQ to be a great player but I'll step back and give the guy a few games to get back into it.

The soft comment from me was about physically soft or perhaps weak is a better word. Boston is no bigger than we are and they manhandled us like we were puppies.

I am losing faith in Domi and I'm wondering if last season was an aberration.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

It appears that Trizzak and I watched the same game.

Not sure what game others watched where they saw the bench quit and the team pushed around with no fight back.  

Let me start off by saying that I was at the game.  (I was also in Jersey last week).

I watch them plenty on TV but watching them live against a team like Boston was defiantly eye opening.

The only players to consistently stand out in a positive way yesterday were Kovalchuk, Suzuki, Gallagher and Evans. 

The more the game wore on, the more it became apparent that the majority of our players don't garner on ice respect.  And by respect I mean putting the opposing team in prevent mode.  It was blatantly obvious that the Bruins were capable of controlling the tempo at will.

Kovalchuk is the type of player this team has desperately lacked for a while.  Strong on the puck, great vision and the ability to shift from a North-South style to East-West at will.

Suzuki is going to be special.  Tremendous maturity in his game.  Great hands as well.

Evans was just where he needed to be.  Quick with his feet, good positioning and very composed.

I was hoping/expecting Domi to be more involved.  Looked extremely passive throughout the game.  If a player who thrives in rivalry games can't elevate his level of gumpf against the Bruins in Boston with the season teetering then we might have a problem.

Was the officiating suspect.  Definitely.  The roughing penalty on Armia especially since he basically shoved him after he was mauled in front of Rask's net but we didn't deserve to win.  At no point throughout the game did you sense the ice was tilting in our favor.

I'm not a Bergevin hater (or apologist for that matter) but unless we win out this weekend I think yesterday's performance solidifies the fact that we should be selling.  

And Domi should not be off the table. 

• Like 1

I'm very much against selling a 24 year old who has shown that is willing and able to embrace the pressure of the Montreal market.  His season hasn't been the greatest, but he's still fourth on the team in scoring.  I don't think you give up on a guy who showed he can have a big season, after what 60 games where he's still been just ok instead of being great last season. He's also a guy who is willing to play a gritty game and get involved physically, but yes, he needs to work on his discipline. 

Trading away a 24 year old like that, at the start of a rebuild is a WTF move.  Unless someone is offering us a young top-pair defender (young being key), I don't see it. 

21 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'm very much against selling a 24 year old who has shown that is willing and able to embrace the pressure of the Montreal market.  His season hasn't been the greatest, but he's still fourth on the team in scoring.  I don't think you give up on a guy who showed he can have a big season, after what 60 games where he's still been just ok instead of being great last season. He's also a guy who is willing to play a gritty game and get involved physically, but yes, he needs to work on his discipline. 

Trading away a 24 year old like that, at the start of a rebuild is a WTF move.  Unless someone is offering us a young top-pair defender (young being key), I don't see it. 

I agree with you to a certain extent. 

You shouldn't be moving someone like Domi just for the sake of moving him.  But I think if you can get a player that complements the rebuild, and possibly fits another organizational need (LD) then you have to listen.  

19 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

You shouldn't be moving someone like Domi just for the sake of moving him.  But I think if you can get a player that complements the rebuild, and possibly fits another organizational need (LD) then you have to listen.  

Trade LD prospect for Drouin, then trade Galchenyuk for Domi, then trade Domi for LD help. 

It’s only one way of looking at it but it doesn’t sit well with me. 

Domi is a stud. My only concern is how he handles not being the superstar on the team (something’s been different since Kovalchuk arrived). It seems crazy to say, but there was even a goal Kovalchuk scored where I saw Domi barely celebrate. Tied in with having more firepower, come to think of it, it’s turning into a situation where Domi is being thrown a bit all over the place. He could be LW on the second line one day, or center on the first or third line another day.

Hopefully he is handled well. Outside of that, I’m fine with having him here for years to come.

That and he actually needs to play with better line mates

Put offensive guys together with some variety to there game. Put him Kavalchuk on LW and Gallagher on RW

Danault, who i really like, is not a #1 center, he is the best 3rd line center in the league IMO, a good 2nd line center on an average team. 

maybe mixing up some line combos, don't understand why tatar danault and gallagher are stapled together every game, 

1 hour ago, Helmethead said:

If someone is offering a young top 4 D (either hand given the age of Weber/Petry)... then yeah i listen. 

But this has to be a hockey move, where we are getting another proven player in the same age category. 

Moving him for picks and prospects (what you are likely to get at the trade deadline), doesn't make any sense IMO. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Trading away a 24 year old like that, at the start of a rebuild is a WTF move.

For the opposite reason i would trade Kovalchuk by the 24th, dont need a 37-38yr old that had a good 10-15 game stint. Old guys dont get quicker or become less prone to injuries. Unless he will agree to a reasonable 1 year deal before the 24th, i would ship him for best return offered. I also would prefer to give that 19minute of icetime to KK/Suzuki or other young top six core guys.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DON said:

For the opposite reason i would trade Kovalchuk by the 24th, dont need a 37-38yr old that had a good 10-15 game stint.

The point here is that Kovalchuk's trade value appears to be a third-round pick, where as Domi (for example) would bring a much greater return. A third-rounder is not really going to help us much.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I'll take a 37 year old who can score 20 goals next year over a 3rd round pick in a draft we already have 11 picks.

Fingers crossed he is gone Feb 24th! Nice clean break...unless (as I said before) he is willing to sign 1 yr reasonable deal. If he wants 2 years or big $$, not with ten foot pole would I want him signed.

Just my opinion and think his offense will tail off. Play him a ton and he might produce but it wouldn't last a full year.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

The point here is that Kovalchuk's trade value appears to be a third-round pick, where as Domi (for example) would bring a much greater return. A third-rounder is not really going to help us much.

Of course a young forward who just had a 72point season is worth a shitpile more than an old player on his last legs looking for one last contract, especially on a rebuilding team.

Why would you even compare those two anyways?

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I would package Kovalchuk with Byron and try and get a 1st or a 2nd and a prospect.

This way if the team That trades for him can't resign him , they would still have Byron.

Plus we could always resign kovalchuk as a UFA July 1st.

29 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I would package Kovalchuk with Byron and try and get a 1st or a 2nd and a prospect.

This way if the team That trades for him can't resign him , they would still have Byron.

Plus we could always resign kovalchuk as a UFA July 1st.

Byron doesn't have that kind of value.

If we are going with Kovalchuk being a third, you are basically saying...

Its saying Byron + 3rd = a 1st or a 2nd + prospect.

For a guy who hasn't even played in 3 months and was struggling before that?

No one will do that.

---

also, league wide we have like 5 players in the last 15 traded at the deadline and then sign back to that team on July 1st.  Of those, almost all of them were with their team for a lot longer than 2 months.... so I think if you trade Kovalchuk, he's gone.  This isn't Plekanec where he had 15 years of loyalty to the organization.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Byron doesn't have that kind of value.

If we are going with Kovalchuk being a third, you are basically saying...

Its saying Byron + 3rd = a 1st or a 2nd + prospect.

For a guy who hasn't even played in 3 months and was struggling before that?

No one will do that.

---

also, league wide we have like 5 players in the last 15 traded at the deadline and then sign back to that team on July 1st.  Of those, almost all of them were with their team for a lot longer than 2 months.... so I think if you trade Kovalchuk, he's gone.  This isn't Plekanec where he had 15 years of loyalty to the organization.

Yeah but on a playoff team he adds vaule as a bottom 6 that can play on the PK. I think that big contract he got made him over think things and try to do more in order to live up to it. On a playoff team he can be himself.

But I see your point. If asking price for kovalchuk is now a 2nd round pick , just thought adding Byron could bring it up to a 1st.

Byron is the type of guy playoff team's love to add at the deadline.