Habs trade Scandella to St. Louis

Trizzak

2 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Bit of a morbid note to this deal, but it probably only happens because of Bouwmeester's cardiac arrest. 

Not probably - that is the only reason.  They didn't have the cap room to add Scandella before and had to put Bouwmeester on LTIR to free up the space to do the deal.

• dlbalr changed the title to Habs trade Scandella to St. Louis

Cant believe they didn't have to give up a pick to have someone take him, glad he is just gone and a 2nd pick seems crazy for him.

Now to get rid of Kovalchuk before he shows what kind of game he really does have left in him!

After that and Thompson going to a contender, I would be happy to do nothing else this season.

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Cant believe they didn't have to give up a pick to have someone take him, glad he is just gone and a 2nd pick seems crazy for him.

Now to get rid of Kovalchuk before he shows what kind of game he really does have left in him!

After that and Thompson going to a contender, I would be happy to do nothing else this season.

I have my annual trade odds piece running tomorrow (barring other trades).  Thompson and Kovalchuk are the only other two that have a better than not prediction of being moved.  I think there will be a bigger move eventually but that will be over the offseason.

from another board (HF)

"Remember that before giving that 4th to Buffalo for Scandella, Bergevin sent Mike Reilly to Ottawa for a 5th

So the whole tradeline really was for MTL :

Mike Reilly + 4th

For

2nd + 5th + cond 4th + retain 50% on Scandella's salary for last 2 months

Which is actually very good, good job Marc."

Good deal, obviously.

I'm a little disappointed that Scandella wasn't willing to negotiate , given all his blather about playing in Montreal being a "dream," etc.. I liked him all right and thought he was a decent fit, especially considering that he's LD. Of course, he can still sign with us come July 1, but that sort of trade-and-resign thing doesn't seem to happen very often. Oh well. Still good asset management.

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Good deal, obviously.

I'm a little disappointed that Scandella wasn't willing to negotiate , given all his blather about playing in Montreal being a "dream," etc.. I liked him all right and thought he was a decent fit, especially considering that he's LD. Of course, he can still sign with us come July 1, but that sort of trade-and-resign thing doesn't seem to happen very often. Oh well. Still good asset management.

Im.fine with him leaving.  We have plenty of third pairing LHD... and there are plenty in free agency.  Hes not a top 4 guy.. and honestly i wasnt impressed.  Hes not really an upgrade on Mete or Kulak.

We need a legit top pair LHD.  Having more and more 3rd pair guys isnt a substitute for that.  

For me, it's bye felicia.

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Im.fine with him leaving.  We have plenty of third pairing LHD... and there are plenty in free agency.  Hes not a top 4 guy.. and honestly i wasnt impressed.  Hes not really an upgrade on Mete or Kulak.

We need a legit top pair LHD.  Having more and more 3rd pair guys isnt a substitute for that.  

For me, it's bye felicia.

Yes, I suppose you're right.

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Pollock was a giant among men. But I do believe much of the opposition (other teams' GMs) are now better, too, than during his era.

The draft was new and he recognized the value of the top picks before other GMs did.  That was his genius at the time.  The same strategies wouldnt work today as teams wouldnt give their first rounders (especially bad teams) as easy as they did for him.

That said, what he did was identify and exploit an inefficiency in the system.  While it wouldnt be the same strategy, he was such a genius that he might find and exploit another inefficiency if he was in his prime today.

That’s a actually a great return.  If we can get that for Scandella. Petry amd Tatar should bring two 1st rounders or a 1st and a high end prospect!