What needs to happen for the Habs to have a successful trade deadline?

Here is a question for you all. What does MB need to do in order to have a "successful" trade deadline, in your view? Does he need to secure a 1st round pick? A major prospect? Is one or more lower picks/longer-shot prospects sufficient? By contrast, does he need to make a major multiplayer trade which shakes up the core? Or - does he need to do little more than what he's already done (Scandella)? What would warrant a passing grade?

Just now, dlbalr said:

I moved this from the rumour thread as I think it's an interesting question that's worthy of its own discussion.

This is an OUTRAGE! Now, just kidding, I appreciate the attention to organization and the "bump" for my question.

• Like 1

I think he has to make a move that signifies a change in direction.  I don’t see this core working.  this summer, they should be asking Price does he want to go somewhere to win and if he does, get a list of teams he is willing to go to.

I think that at the deadline the only sure trade is thompson.  If someone wants to offer something for Weise, Weal, Folin, or Cousins trade them too, but i'm not convinced there will be interest, so I can't blame Bergevin if he doesn't move them. 

Guys like tatar and petry, the evaluation has to be extended to the summer if he doesnt move them now. Kovalchuk has to be evaluated if hes re-signed if not traded and how much.  So i think what is or isnt a good deadline may not be something we can evaluate this year.

This isnt 2018 when we knew weise, fleischmann and plekanec all had to be traded.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Here is a question for you all.

What does MB need to do in order to have a "successful" trade deadline, in your view?

Does he need to secure a 1st round pick?

A major prospect?

Is one or more lower picks/longer-shot prospects sufficient?

By contrast, does he need to make a major multiplayer trade which shakes up the core?

Or - does he need to do little more than what he's already done (Scandella)?

What would warrant a passing grade?

• Move Thompson and Kovalchuk would be all i need.
  • No, wouldnt worry too much about getting another middling 1st round pick (20-31), as crappy lottery teams with top picks likely wont want to deal for Tatar or Petry.
  • No major prospect needed, but if Aves and Habs do big deal i imagine one would be coming to Habs with a pick or two, which may be smart depending on what Sakic might offer.
  • Yes.
  • No.
  • Want Kovalchuk gone, but if signs small deal that is fine and no big deal.
  • Thompson or Kovalchuk dealt for a pick minimum.

All expiring deals can go for whatever they can fetch, Kovy being the only exception if a reasonable resigning can be done. Not to say that I am against trading him, but I don't feel a need to make sure he is gone compared to the other expiring deals if they can work something out.

Guys like Tatar and Petry should be kept unless someone offers something crazy, I wouldn't be shopping these guys or anyone else for that matter. You want one of them, come and try to pry them from me, i'm not dangling them out there, but i'll answer the phone and hear what you have to say, would be my approach. 

In my view trading bottom 6 or lower prospects or picks for a back up goalie would be sufficient.

To go over that wish, I would be happy if they traded one key NHL roster player for a 1st round pick in 2020, an expansion exempt prospect and an NHL roster player that fills a hole

Why I value a 1st round pick in 2020 is because the draft is said to be “deep” and the CH needs that depth as we saw this year.

The holes are LD and a scoring winger. We saw how Kovalchuk made a difference at his start with the CH. we need that type of sniper. Tatar is the only player that comes close to that.

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

The holes are LD and a scoring winger. We saw how Kovalchuk made a difference at his start with the CH. we need that type of sniper. Tatar is the only player that comes close to that.

Domi, Suzuki, Drouin also as skilled as Tatar; Armia, Danault and Lehkonen are also top 9 players, then toss in Evans-Poehling-KK-Caufield-+grinders, so where would Kovalchuk fit next year?

A 1st line forward like Aho i would be all for, but 3rd line Kovalchuk no thanks.

• Upvote 1

There are so many UFA goalies this summer, why are you needing to trade for one now?  With other teams having goalie issues (Colorado, Carolina) the price for a backup at the deadline probably wont make sense in terms of assets.  So just wait til summer and they will be cheaper. 

19 minutes ago, DON said:

Domi, Suzuki, Drouin also as skilled as Tatar; Armia, Danault and Lehkonen are also top 9 players, then toss in Evans-Poehling-KK-Caufield-+grinders, so where would Kovalchuk fit next year?

A 1st line forward like Aho i would be all for, but 3rd line Kovalchuk no thanks.

I am not saying we must sign Kovalchuk

I am saying we need another sniper like Tatar that produces like Kovalchuk was doing at the beginning

Drouin and Suzuki are streaky. Tatar is a Swiss watch  

Suzuki has been very consistent, only behind gallagher and tatar since being moved to top 6 minutes at center, he wasn't playing a lot of minutes early in the year 

I believe the word for on Drouin is irrelevant 

A major move. 
They’re not even close to competing for a cup. Stop having the goal be the somehow squeeze into the playoffs. Build a team where an elimination in the playoffs is a surprise, like you’re expected to win.

Fact is, Boston, Tampa, Florida and Toronto are all divisional opponents who have stronger clubs right now. Some by a wider margin than others, but they’re stronger. Do something that closes the gap, whether it be for next year or 2 years from now.

Is it Price? Weber? Petry? Tatar? I don’t know... but something big has to happen. 

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am not saying we must sign Kovalchuk

I am saying we need another sniper like Tatar that produces like Kovalchuk was doing at the beginning

Drouin and Suzuki are streaky. Tatar is a Swiss watch  

Not sure anyone knows what Suzuki will be next year, sophomore slump does happen or he is just warming up this year and Bergevin gets an elite winger for him (doubt Caufield will make impact, if even plays next year)?

Drouin/Suzuki/Domi are all skilled, whether as much as Tatar is just splitting hairs.

Agree, need to add a young NHL forward who projects to be that 80-100pt guy, but also still need help on defense (how much impact will Romanov be?).

Trade deadline is more about futures for sellers than it is about pure hockey trades. I expect Thompson, Kovalchuk to be moved. That’s about my expectation for the trade deadline. Offseason is another thing entirely. My deadline expectations are usually quite low, so in my mind the Scandella deal has already exceeded them.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Not sure anyone knows what Suzuki will be next year, sophomore slump does happen or he is just warming up this year and Bergevin gets an elite winger for him (doubt Caufield will make impact, if even plays next year)?

Drouin/Suzuki/Domi are all skilled, whether as much as Tatar is just splitting hairs.

Agree, need to add a young NHL forward who projects to be that 80-100pt guy, but also still need help on defense (how much impact will Romanov be?).

I was listening to the TSN690 post-game show after the Washington win, someone brought up Nik Ehlers in Winnipeg. I would swap Domi and Kovalchuk for Ehlers, Byfuglin and Heinola. Give them cap space and forward depth while getting a solid scoring winger with size and a good prospect.

I think the caller mentioned a slightly different scenario, but I'll go with this one. The point he was making was that Winnipeg would then be able to go get the player they covet with the extra cap space. 

But, yes, I agree with you that Suzuki may suffer the second year slump. Let's hope he doesn't. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Yes, adding a80-100 point guy would sure be nice, But there were only 27 80+ point forwards in the NHL last year, and 15 of 31 teams did not have one (eight teams had two, and Tampa Bay had three). So picking one up is by no means easy, everyone is looking for them and no one wants to spare one. That's why Panarin was a hot commodity a year ago.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Yes, adding a80-100 point guy would sure be nice, But there were only 27 80+ point forwards in the NHL last year, and 15 of 31 teams did not have one

27 and zero on the Habs, helps explain 25+ year cup absence.

You musta missed the ..." who projects to be ..." part.

Ones that turn into 80-point players aren’t any more common, either, so prying one loose from another team is difficult.

Why have we not had top scorers on the Habs for a very long time? At least partly because some of the very few times we had top draft pick we focused on goaltending.

30 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Since Price, the only top-five picksare Galchenyuk and Kotkaniemi. Sixth through tenth picks rarely have real elite prospects available.

Really?????

2012: 7,9, 11 dumba, Trouba, horvat -  all better than the top 3 picks

2013: #6, 7, 9 monohon, Nurse, horvat 

2014: #8-9 Nylander, Ehlers
2015: # 8-10  Werenski, mair, rantanen

2016: Tkachuk #6, #9 Sergechev 

loya of other examples of elite players picked even in the last 10 picks of the first round or 2nd round.