What needs to happen for the Habs to have a successful trade deadline?

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I was listening to the TSN690 post-game show after the Washington win, someone brought up Nik Ehlers in Winnipeg. I would swap Domi and Kovalchuk for Ehlers, Byfuglin and Heinola. Give them cap space and forward depth while getting a solid scoring winger with size and a good prospect.

I think the caller mentioned a slightly different scenario, but I'll go with this one. The point he was making was that Winnipeg would then be able to go get the player they covet with the extra cap space. 

But, yes, I agree with you that Suzuki may suffer the second year slump. Let's hope he doesn't. 

I read somewhere that Winnipeg is trying to trade Byfuglien before terminating the contract.  About a month ago I could have sworn that I read something about both sides were making progress towards a mutual contract termination.  Unless something has changed, I think Winnipeg is just seeing if they can get anything for Byfuglien before the contract is terminated.  Kind of like the Kings shopping Kovalchuk before there mutual seperation.  If this is the case, his cap hit is coming off the books regardless.  So I doubt they see him has a negative value asset.  

FWIW, I love the ideal.  I was thinking of a trade like that (Petry to the Jets for Byfuglien, Heinola and a lottery protected 1st in 2020) a couple months ago before the mutual contract termination talk came out.   

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Ones that turn into 80-point players aren’t any more common, either, so prying one loose from another team is difficult.

No, got Suzuki didnt they.

28 minutes ago, DON said:

No, got Suzuki didnt they.

Yes, it’s possible that he will be an 80-100 point guy. Too early to tell yet, though. At the time if the trade, I would not have expected that.

I’ll be happy if we keep Kovalchuk through the deadline and lock him up 🔐 🔴🔵

Outside of that, I’d be okay with acquiring some round 1 or 2 draft picks for people not named Ilya, or an exciting defensive prospect. 

To me, it will be a success as long as he doesn't make any big mistakes.  The only guy we need to trade is Nate Thompson.  The Habs are in a good position for the trade deadline - they don't have to make any moves.  Lots of other teams are under big pressure to make a trade for the playoff run.  We shouldn't do anything that isn't clearly a good move for us.   

If we trade any one of Tatar or Petry or Domi we should hold out for a very solid return.  If other teams won't pay that Bergevin should stand pat until the summer.   The worst thing would be to make a questionable or bad trade just to try to win the deadline.

3 hours ago, Chris said:

Who was the last habs PPG player drafted by the habs? 

naslund or richer???

5 hours ago, huzer said:

Probably Koivu, in his knee injury season. I believe he was above a PPG, but only played a little over half the season.

Edit:....56pts in 50 games in 96-97

Of discount the non complete seasons. Don’t allow for usual slumps.  And he’ll, Koivu was either leading the league or close to it the first time he blew out his knee.  Had that injury not happened, who knows what may have been.  But than again, if my aunt had balls, she’d be my uncle.

I consider it a failure if MB fails to upgrade the team this deadline - save for a Thompson level trade. Things would then fall to the off season and if he does not make a proper upgrade to this team (tweaking the bottom 6 or bottom Dman is not an upgrade, that is business as usual), then he should be fired.

Let's see what happens.

I didnt know the answer and it was a legit question, bottom line is it's been a really long time

MB needs to continue his new plan and get younger and more talented

There is no chance this team makes the plaoffs next year if MB "adds" to the roster, history shows us that 

and get an actual back up freakin goalie, it doesn't take 8 years to find one of those, or save the money and play Price all 82 games 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I consider it a failure if MB fails to upgrade the team this deadline - save for a Thompson level trade. Things would then fall to the off season and if he does not make a proper upgrade to this team (tweaking the bottom 6 or bottom Dman is not an upgrade, that is business as usual), then he should be fired.

Let's see what happens.

I really think hes adding and not selling.

58 minutes ago, Chris said:

I didnt know the answer and it was a legit question, bottom line is it's been a really long time

MB needs to continue his new plan and get younger and more talented

There is no chance this team makes the plaoffs next year if MB "adds" to the roster, history shows us that 

and get an actual back up freakin goalie, it doesn't take 8 years to find one of those, or save the money and play Price all 82 games 

It always takes MB an eternity to fix massive roster holes. He is still in the process of fixing the C position, which needed upgrading when he arrived and has done ever since. (At least the fix is in process, however! Only took most of a decade). LD remains a gaping wound three years after Markov left, with no end in sight. Backup G has been a need for about a half-decade. It's almost comical, really.

In terms of the deadline, voices of wisdom here are technically correct to say that there is no need to move Petry or Tatar now; we can wait until summer, or until next year's deadline. I have two thoughts on that. One is that we've heard the same thing about filling huge roster holes: "oh, MB doesn't need to add a LD or G now, he can wait until September...oh, he can wait until the deadline...oh, wait, you mean we're out of the playoffs again??" The point being that one can wait and wait until suddenly the time for waiting has vanished and you missed the window.

But my more serious (related) concern is this: what if the Habs are competitive for a playoff spot next year? Like any bubble team, if things go well, they could be in the hunt for the last wild-card spot come February. I can state with near-total certainty that we will not trade expiring contracts under those circumstances. Therefore, if MB plays the waiting game into the 2020-21 season, the risk of never moving these guys for prospects/picks grows ever more real.

I believe the team needs at least one more impact prospect in the system, perhaps more than one. And I don't want us to go into next season without having made the moves to acquire them. That being so, when will Tatar or Petry have more value: in August, or right now? The answer is quite likely right now. Therefore, MB should be moving at least one if those guys by Monday, and possibly both.

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

Richer if you are demanding a full season and he did it twice (91 points in 75 games... 78 in 72)

Kovalev 07-08 - 84pts in 82gms.

nevermind

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

24 hours to go, nothing to report on the trade front :tumbleweed:

Like every year we'll have a bucket load of trades announced between 2:00 pm and like 4:15 pm.  (even though the deadline is 3pm, we always have deals that were made before 3 and announced after).

3 hours ago, huzer said:

Habs are 6 pts back of the Leafs, and play them one more time. 4 back of Panthers and play them twice. Is Bergevin really a seller at this deadline?

Probably not in his mind. Only in the mind of every sentient human who has watched this team all season.