What needs to happen for the Habs to have a successful trade deadline?

If the Habs are a playoff team next year, that’s a good thing. 

I don’t subscribe to the mentality that we should predict the future as negative under all circumstance. If a great trade offer comes up involving Petry or Tatar, I’ll evaluate then and am willing to be happy about either one of them being moved.  Keeping Tatar and Petry by the next deadline doesn’t guarantee a negative ending to the story though and if they help us have a good team next year, I wouldn’t complain. It feels odd to even have to defend that point. In the end, I think either pathway can have the potential to lead to success. There’s no rush with Petry and Tatar.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Probably not in his mind. Only in the mind of every sentient human who has watched this team all season.

Given that both Scandella and Kovalchuk are now gone, I think we are clearly in the selling camp.

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I don’t subscribe to the mentality that we should predict the future as negative under all circumstance.

Thank god, the handful who do are more than enough.

My expectations have been met at this point. I expected Thompson and Scandella to be moved, was 50/50 initially that Kovalchuk would be traded. Maybe Cousins gets moved next?

I did not expect the Habs to move anyone with term, despite the shouts of FIRST ROUND PICKS! TOP PROSPECTS! for Tatar and Petry.

I don't believe in tanking, but neither Tatar nor Petry have a future with this club beyond next season. Given that their value is probably has high now as it will ever be, I don't understand not maxing out that value now for at least one of them. I wouldn't trade both, but I would trade one (probably Tatar) if it means getting a high-impact return that could help to further propel the "retool." Given that teams are paying a king's ransom for middling rentals, surely they would pay at least as much for Tatar, from whom they will get two playoffs, not just one.

But hey, if you think the Habs are Jim Dandy and it's all just "stay the course" and we don't need any further infusion of youthful assets, then hey, all's well.

21 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But hey, if you think the Habs are Jim Dandy and it's all just "stay the course" and we don't need any further infusion of youthful assets, then hey, all's well.

I didn't say anything about staying the course, I said my deadline expectations. I didn't EXPECT players with term to get traded. Expect is a much different word than want or need. Would I WANT an influx of first round picks and top level prospects? Sure. However, when the Habs acquire picks, I'm not necessarily jumping up and down with excitement given their history of development.

I usually have extremely low deadline "expectations" whether in buying or selling mode.

43 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

They have a top 3 prospect pool and 13 picks in 2020 and 9 in 2021 already. 

31 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Scandella, Kovalchuk, Thompson and Peca moved so far. No major transactions yet, though.

I dont expect any.  Tatar and Petry should only be moved if its an unreal package.  If not hold them, just like 2018 with pacioretty.  People freaked out when we didnt deal him at the deadline and again when we didnt at the draft/july 1st and now look at what we got.

36 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I dont expect any.  Tatar and Petry should only be moved if its an unreal package.  If not hold them, just like 2018 with pacioretty.  People freaked out when we didnt deal him at the deadline and again when we didnt at the draft/july 1st and now look at what we got.

While what you said is completely true it feels like a misstep to not take advantage of this year's prices.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

While what you said is completely true it feels like a misstep to not take advantage of this year's prices.

Why, were you disappointed with summer's Pacioretty return? Habs aint making playoffs, so what is hurry and why not keep your #1 scorer and #2 d-man if no one will offer up a solid prospect (more important than another pick to Habs) and 1st pick. Likely have more suiters for Petry-Tatar in July, if they even consider moving either and dont resign them early.

25 minutes ago, DON said:

Why, were you disappointed with summer's Pacioretty return? Habs aint making playoffs, so what is hurry and why not keep your #1 scorer and #2 d-man if no one will offer up a solid prospect (more important than another pick to Habs) and 1st pick. Likely have more suiters for Petry-Tatar in July, if they even consider moving either and dont resign them early.

MB did great with the Patches trade that is for sure.

MB also crapped the bed last summer by doing nothing and it would not surprise me if the king of 4th liners does nothing this summer too - other than give us a fresh new 4th line.

Fire this clown now

Today @ 4:18 PM ET  
"We still have our core and we can still fight for a playoff spot next year." - Bergy

New that was coming, he is aware that they have missed 4 out of the last 5 years right? 

Why would they be better? 

Sounds like MB is getting the business from the media finally about drafting and an actual plan, 

sounds like the is bobbing and weaving with plenty of verbal jiu jitsu for his part, 

the guy has no clue, no answers, sounds like CJ up there 

Trade deadline was underwhelming based on fan demand, mine included. 
But nothing surprising, and no major mistakes 

The draft picks stockpile will make for an interesting draft in Montreal

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

😄 I might make that my new avatar if it's OK with you (and if it fits in the digital space allotment)

He is a better one for you.

Image result for funny images eeyore

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Trade deadline was underwhelming based on fan demand, mine included. 
But nothing surprising, and no major mistakes 

The draft picks stockpile will make for an interesting draft in Montreal

The Major mistakes come July 1st. 

Deadline is for none playoff team's to set themselves up for the draft. Which Bergevin has done to some extent.