Kovalchuk traded to Washington

dlbalr

46 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

We paid nothing to get him, he helped the team and scored a bunch, and we end up with a 3rd. It’s clear win, albeit a small one.

Oh I know I agree it's a win, but you can still discuss the would've ,could've , should've.  Like I said water cooler talk.

12 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Would have loved a conditional pick that turns into a 2nd with some playoff rounds won, but it is what it is.

Same here.  I was thinking a 3rd that becomes a 2nd if Kovalchuk scores a GWG during the playoffs.  Minimal chances to become a 2nd, but still a chance. :)

27 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

If there is a strong intention of trying to resign him and a general interest on his part to return, it’s a good move, otherwise we should be going for the highest possible return.  It’s not like he’s a long tenured player with us, that we owe anything to.

8 minutes ago, Dutch_Habs_Fan said:

Nice guys finish last.

He’s only selectively nice, usually he’s a prick.  Remember that if you want loyalty get a dog comment.

If both Washington and Boston are offering the same (a third round pick)... you are flipping a coin as to which team will have the higher pick at this point.  Might as well let the player decide.  

Its both good relations with the Player, as well as good relations with his agent (and hence all players he represents).

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If both Washington and Boston are offering the same (a third round pick)... you are flipping a coin as to which team will have the higher pick at this point.  Might as well let the player decide.  

Its both good relations with the Player, as well as good relations with his agent (and hence all players he represents).

According to kovulchuck it  sounds like there were better offer from other teams. Unless we are definitely gong to make a big push to resign him and know there is serious interest in returning on kovulchuck’s part, we should be going for the best available offer.  The quote above suggests better offers than BOS/WASH were available.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He’s only selectively nice, usually he’s a prick.  Remember that if you want loyalty get a dog comment.

That comment was meant for Radulov choosing Dallas and showing no loyalty to an organization that gave him a 2nd chance  or a fan base that fell in love instantly  with his passion for the game... 

• Like 1

Both Kovalchuk and Thompson loudly saying how much they appreciate the way they were treated by Bergevin.   This is worth a lot to us since it sends a message to players around the league that they will be well treated if they sign here.  Screwing this up enen once (eg Cammalari) can have a lasting negative effect.

17 hours ago, huzer said:

So will Kulak keep 77 or go back to 17? 

All of the injured players he was signed to replace are back. Liked seeing him play for the Habs. 

He could go back to 17 and if we resign Kovalchuk he could get another watch to switch back! lol

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Perhaps the offers weren't much better.  A 3rd and a 7th or something.  I doubt the better offers were mind blowing otherwise I'm sure Bergevin would have taken one of them.

12 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Is it online somewhere?

I'll answer my own question.

https://www.nhl.com/video/scrum-ilya-kovalchuk/c-5292229

Mr Kovalchuk is clearly not unhappy with Montreal, the Habs or Mr Bergevin. Whether he ends up signing with the Habs for another year in the summer is something we don't know yet, but I'm at least confident he won't rule us out because of the city, the press, the fans, the GM, the coach, the language, the winters, the taxes or the road construction.

3 hours ago, Chris said:

Yea, but if players actually want to win,

The habs are not a good option 

Bingo. 
We only get bums like Alzner.