Bottom Feeders

hankhab

I agree with Trizzak on this one.

Buffalo, for one reason or another, hasn't been able to put together a consistently winning line-up for many years. In a way, I'm surprised to see that they're still around.

Another possibility (but not near as likely) is the Islanders. They've lost some very important players in Hamrlik, Peca and Aucoin. The addition of Satan & Zhitnik will not make up for that loss, especially with Satan being a very streaky player and Zhitnik's tendency to 'disappear' at times. Both are very talented players but they won't make up for the heart & grit of Peca & Aucoin. Also, DiPietro is good but not as good as he's supposed to be (and not near as good as Luongo). So... I wouldn't be surpised to see the Islanders down there somewhere.

How can anyone even mention Dallas or St Louis!?:?-

St. Louis lost Pronger but they won the trade. They are going way down but they'll still be in the playoff race. Their problem is that their stars are MacInnis, Weight and Tkachuk and they're on their way to retirement. Also, Lalime is their goalie. Solid D and a good checking line should help.

Dallas on the other hand has a great team. Lehtinen, Modano, Arnott, Barnes, Morrow, Guerin, Zubov, Turco in net, ...

They also have good youth with guys like Niko Kapanen, Steve Ott and Phillippe Boucher.

Don't forget they have a tough, solid defense with Don Sweeney, Zubov, Skoula, Klemm and Boucher. These guys are contenders. I think it was Macaskill who nominated them.

[Edited on 2005/8/26 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

I didn't realize Dallas was able to keep all their guys. Hmm... Still, if you look at the west in general, it's hard to imagine any of those teams really being bottom feeders. Each team seems to have made some key additions.

Well, Washington didn't sign anyone new. All they did was ditch their great (but underperforming) roster and pick-up a prospect or two.

They should finish 30th

Carolina 29th

Buffalo 28th

Like someone said earlier.

Islanders will be 27th

Oilers are 26th

Minnesota 25th

Rangers 24th

St. Louis 23th

The worst teams play in the East which will probably mean the good teams in the East will have more points than the good teams in the west.

For example, we play Buffalo 8 times, Carolina, Washington, NYR and NYI maybe 4 times each or something. This should give us a big boost.

I've noticed our bad luck against Buffalo too. They could have a terrible team, but for some reason they always give us trouble.

Maybe it's because they have some fast gritty guys? Even that doesn't explain it.

For some reason everytime I think of Buffalo, I get flashes of the Habs getting injuries. Can't remember any games where they hurt one of our guys, yet it seems that's how my brain has come to associate with the Sabers.

Originally posted by Macaskill

For some reason everytime I think of Buffalo, I get flashes of the Habs getting injuries. Can't remember any games where they hurt one of our guys, yet it seems that's how my brain has come to associate with the Sabers.

A couple of years ago, we had a double-header with Buffalo (I went to the second one) the first one they injured Hackett and in the second Varada went knee-on-knee on Theodore and we had to use Garon as our starter for a while.

edmonton will challengewashington for last place

they don'T have a legit 1st goalkeeper, and they don't have a scoring line

pronger, smyth and peca won't be able to push the team into the playoffs

• 2 weeks later...

Good call on the Buffalo injury thing. The one that leaps to mind was Varada's knee-to-the-head of Theodore a while back (speedily vindicated by Gilmour). The thing is, Buffalo always seems to resort to cheap shots when they're losing. Lots of slashes, deliberate attempts to injure, etc.. I remember the early 90s when we kept beating them in the playoffs...year after year they'd try to damage our guys after they'd basically lost. I just think that team has a really low-down, nasty occupational culture (and not in the good balls-to-the-wall manner of, say, Philly; more akin to the Leafs and their sad legacy of cheap-shotting their way through the playoffs in recent years).

Originally posted by Roo-AH! Roo-AH!

Good call on the Buffalo injury thing. The one that leaps to mind was Varada's knee-to-the-head of Theodore a while back (speedily vindicated by Gilmour). The thing is, Buffalo always seems to resort to cheap shots when they're losing. Lots of slashes, deliberate attempts to injure, etc.. I remember the early 90s when we kept beating them in the playoffs...year after year they'd try to damage our guys after they'd basically lost. I just think that team has a really low-down, nasty occupational culture (and not in the good balls-to-the-wall manner of, say, Philly; more akin to the Leafs and their sad legacy of cheap-shotting their way through the playoffs in recent years).

Varada's hit was the one I was talking about. I hate that guy. But Gilmour was on Buffalo then right? Not the Habs.

Anyway, you just reminded me of when Gilmour shattered the penalty box glass:P