What UFA are you glad we didn't throw money at ?

Habsfan89

Was just thinking about this topic and thought I would post it and see what everyone else thinks.

So for me I am glad we didn't throw the money at tavares. I know at the time we needed a top center and he fit the bill. But man 11mil a year over the next 5 years did we dodge a bullet with that one. We would of been in cap hell right now. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Lucic easily.

Id still take Tavares to be honest.

Most definitely Lucic,  if that happened MB would likely  not be here now. 

Tavares at 11 million/year??   I think it's too much but the guy can definitely play. It would have solved one problem buy likely created others. The Leafs had to give Carolina a 1st round pick to take Marleau because of the salary cap issues that started with the Tavares signing. 

Id say Marleaus contract was dumb to begin with and was always predictable that year 3 would be an issue (when matthews, marner both needed to be paid)

I thought that deal always needed to be 2 years so it would be up before those guys needed 2nd contracts.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Most definitely Lucic,  if that happened MB would likely  not be here now. 

Tavares at 11 million/year??   I think it's too much but the guy can definitely play. It would have solved one problem buy likely created others. The Leafs had to give Carolina a 1st round pick to take Marleau because of the salary cap issues that started with the Tavares signing. 

The leafs issue isn’t Tavares. Their issue is Dubas being stupid and giving in to RFA’s on their 2nd deals by giving them UFA money, while not buying UFA years.  In a way he is similar to MB, doesn’t know how to build a team. Weak D, no backup goalie because he paid too much for Nylander, Marner and Matthews.  I’d be good with the money he gave Marner and Matthews if it was 8!year terms, but he should have traded Nylander to fill other holes, rather than move the more affordable Kadri.

lou also screwed the pooch with the money he gave Marleau.  I don’t think they expected Marner and Matthews to put up the numbers they did.  You would think of all people, Lou would have gone after a better dman over Marleau.

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The leafs issue isn’t Tavares. Their issue is Dubas being stupid and giving in to RFA’s on their 2nd deals by giving them UFA money, while not buying UFA years.  In a way he is similar to MB, doesn’t know how to build a team. Weak D, no backup goalie because he paid too much for Nylander, Marleau and Matthews.  I’d be good with the money he gave Marner and Matthews if it was 8!year terms, but he should have traded Nylander to fill other holes, rather than move the more affordable Kadri.

lou also screwed the pooch with the money he gave Marleau.  I don’t think they expected Marner and Matthews to put up the numbers they did.  You would think aloud of all people would have gone after a better dman over Marleau.

Not saying Tavares is the problem in Toronto, just saying 11mil is over payment.

5 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The leafs issue isn’t Tavares. Their issue is Dubas being stupid and giving in to RFA’s on their 2nd deals by giving them UFA money, while not buying UFA years.  In a way he is similar to MB, doesn’t know how to build a team. Weak D, no backup goalie because he paid too much for Nylander, Marner and Matthews.  I’d be good with the money he gave Marner and Matthews if it was 8!year terms, but he should have traded Nylander to fill other holes, rather than move the more affordable Kadri.

lou also screwed the pooch with the money he gave Marleau.  I don’t think they expected Marner and Matthews to put up the numbers they did.  You would think of all people, Lou would have gone after a better dman over Marleau.

MB doesn't give stupid contracts, on the contrary we lost Radulov and Markov because he refused.

He was forced on PK's contract and he misjudged Alzner. But in general he is not as stupid as wonderboy Dubby

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I hope the Leafs follow h29's advice and trade nylander.  It would be Dubas' biggest mistake to date.

No I would say eating all those IR contracts when they were rebuilding was his biggest mistake. They could use that cap space now.

Trading Nylander to fill a hole would be smart.

7 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

No I would say eating all those IR contracts when they were rebuilding was his biggest mistake. They could use that cap space now.

Trading Nylander to fill a hole would be smart.

All those IR contracts are eating 0 cap space.for.them... thats why its LTIR.

They added more this year (clarkson in the summer). Cause they actually ended up.with more space by maxing out the ltir.

26 minutes ago, Commandant said:

All those IR contracts are eating 0 cap space.for.them... thats why its LTIR.

They added more this year (clarkson in the summer). Cause they actually ended up.with more space by maxing out the ltir.

My bad I thought they worked like buyouts, a % counts toward the cap.

Its complicated and there can be issues the followinf season if your rookies hit their bonuses (or you have a vet with bonuses).

But the leafs dont have anyone threatening bonuses right now as marner, matthews etc are off their elcs

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

MB doesn't give stupid contracts, on the contrary we lost Radulov and Markov because he refused.

He was forced on PK's contract and he misjudged Alzner. But in general he is not as stupid as wonderboy Dubby

Alzner, Briere, and the other slug "Character" guys he signed in his first couple of years weren't bad contracts???  Really???

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Alzner, Briere, and the other slug "Character" guys he signed in his first couple of years weren't bad contracts???  Really???

Are we talking about budget or personnel 

those are two different topics

managing the caps : budget

hiring slugs and your ugly cousin : personnel 

When you look at what hes paying Gallagher, Petry, Danault, Chiarot, Armia etc... its hard to argue that cap management hasnt been a strength.

Everyone has some mistakes (price, alzner)..

But seriously, cap management hasnt been part of the problem here.

There are things to complain about (development, inability to fill the LHD hole, etc) but when cap management is your attack on bergevin, your bias is showing.

I agree that cap management isn't a major failing of MB at all even if he has made mistakes.

I am very happy that Lucic didn't sign with us (even if it would have been fun to watch him thump Marchand).

Think about that Parise contract....I'm happy we didn't sign that either - and he was considered a premier scorer.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The team has been under the cap for 3 years.  No contracts, not even alzner, are hurting them

I see being under the cap as a bad thing. They should be brining in bad contracts that have less than a two year term for picks and prospects.  Hell, even the eternally cheap canes are doing that. with the habs financial strength, they should be using it to their advantage.

23 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I see being under the cap as a bad thing.

Of course you would. You would prefer to have to give away picks to get bad contracts off your roster like brainiac leaf guy.

52 minutes ago, DON said:

Of course you would. You would prefer to have to give away picks to get bad contracts off your roster like brainiac leaf guy.

no that sounds like an idiotic move you would do.  I'd rather take on a bad contract that will expire within 2 years for prospects and #1 picks.  we can afford to bury our idiotic contracts like Alzner in the minors.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I see being under the cap as a bad thing. They should be brining in bad contracts that have less than a two year term for picks and prospects.  Hell, even the eternally cheap canes are doing that. with the habs financial strength, they should be using it to their advantage.

How about instead of bringing in bad contracts for picks to fill our cap space, we actually use our cap space to bring in talent to help us win 🤔

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

How about instead of bringing in bad contracts for picks to fill our cap space, we actually use our cap space to bring in talent to help us win 🤔

Too tough.