What UFA are you glad we didn't throw money at ?

Habsfan89

23 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

How about instead of bringing in bad contracts for picks to fill our cap space, we actually use our cap space to bring in talent to help us win 🤔

who are we going to be bring in?  No good UFA"s would want to come in into this mess.  I think if we blow up the core - which games like last night are a clear indication that is necessary, we should be able to get good players.   I think Weber can get us a solid younger man that will be useful when the rest of the core is good.  I don't see Price netting equal impact player immidiatleyh, but could bring in high end prospects/picks.  Ditto with Tatar and Petry.  We need help on D and no one is giving up a top pairing D for Tatar or Petry - they would probably give younger elite level prospects for a package that includes them and if we pick up part of their salary.  The only player that will bring high return because of his contract/compete/skill level is Gallagahar.

Bottom line is, there is no quick fix. We need at least 3 years for our own prospects to pan out and i'd rather pick up more youth and try and build on a hawks/pens/caps framework than this reset or whatever the shit that MB is calling it these days, where we aren't buyers or sellers.

42 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

who are we going to be bring in?  No good UFA"s would want to come in into this mess.  I think if we blow up the core - which games like last night are a clear indication that is necessary, we should be able to get good players.   I think Weber can get us a solid younger man that will be useful when the rest of the core is good.  I don't see Price netting equal impact player immidiatleyh, but could bring in high end prospects/picks.  Ditto with Tatar and Petry.  We need help on D and no one is giving up a top pairing D for Tatar or Petry - they would probably give younger elite level prospects for a package that includes them and if we pick up part of their salary.  The only player that will bring high return because of his contract/compete/skill level is Gallagahar.

Bottom line is, there is no quick fix. We need at least 3 years for our own prospects to pan out and i'd rather pick up more youth and try and build on a hawks/pens/caps framework than this reset or whatever the shit that MB is calling it these days, where we aren't buyers or sellers.

This is a load of BS if you ask me. We have the picks that we can make trades and UFA's will come here.  I think we need to add depth to the LW and LD and we will be ok. 

Our problems has  always been depth when it comes to talented skill players. I have never seen a GM rely on a farm system as much as Bergevin that's has no NHL talented players that could fill holes when called upon do to injuries.

• Like 3

I think depth is fine.  Look around the league and people arent pulling great players out of farm systems when stars go down.  That isnt what happens.

The issue is the habs rely on 3 lines of offence and dont have superstars.  When three lines become two.. things become real tough.

Other teams.. when mcdavid goes down they have draisaitl to pull them through.  The pens have sid and geno.  You can look at others.  Its not lack of depth, its that we need a superstar or two.

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think depth is fine.  Look around the league and people arent pulling great players out of farm systems when stars go down.  That isnt what happens.

The issue is the habs rely on 3 lines of offence and dont have superstars.  When three lines become two.. things become real tough.

Other teams.. when mcdavid goes down they have draisaitl to pull them through.  The pens have sid and geno.  You can look at others.  Its not lack of depth, its that we need a superstar or two.

If we have depth why do we tail spin every time we get injuries to key players? Look how bad our D is with out Weber in it, where's the depth there? 

There's no one that steps up from our farm system when they get called up. We have a bunch of bottom 6 players no top 6 players in the system RIGHT NOW. In 4-5 years yes we will be good when it comes to talent  in the system , but right now no. We don't have an answer within when we lose players like Gallagher, Drouin, Weber, Tatar, Price, Petry. 

If our bottom 6 have to move up to top 6 To fill holes do to injuries, our talent drops off. This has been the big issue with the habs the last 20 years.

10 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

If we have depth why do we tail spin every time we get injuries to key players? Look how bad our D is with out Weber in it, where's the depth there? 

There's no one that steps up from our farm system when they get called up. We have a bunch of bottom 6 players no top 6 players in the system RIGHT NOW. In 4-5 years yes we will be good when it comes to talent  in the system , but right now no. We don't have an answer within when we lose players like Gallagher, Drouin, Weber, Tatar, Price, Petry. 

If our bottom 6 have to move up to top 6 To fill holes do to injuries, our talent drops off. This has been the big issue with the habs the last 20 years.

I will suggest you reread Commandant’s post. He answered your question 

21 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I will suggest you reread Commandant’s post. He answered your question 

Yeah if you have depth you don't need a bunch of superstar's.

Look at the Blue's, they don't have a bunch of elite superstars. But they got depth  and roll players that step in once injuries happen. 

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Yeah if you have depth you don't need a bunch of superstar's.

Look at the Blue's, they don't have a bunch of elite superstars. But they got depth  and roll players that step in once injuries happen. 

The Blues are a good example of a team that is built on three scoring lines like Bergevin is trying to do in Montreal.  That said, they have not been hit with near the injuries the Habs have.  They lost Tarasenko, but that's about it.  They keep rolling their three lines.   They didn't have near the injuries that Montreal had up front this year.  

No one else on their team has suffered an injury that cost them more than a game or two here and there.  The only serious injury was Tarasenko. 

So, who are these AHL guys who they have called up and been their depth?  Kyrou has 8 points in 26 games,  Troy Brouwer has 1 point in 13 games.  

Your post was all about other teams having these great AHL callups that keep their teams going... who the hell are they?   I want names, where are these great AHL players that are getting called up around the league who are doing so much better than the Habs callups have been?

The only team i see this happening is Pittsburgh, cause yeah, some dude no one has ever heard of gets called up and gets to play with Crosby or Malkin.  Guess what, its not cause the AHL player is good that he scores some points for them, its cause Crosby or Malkin drags them into competence.  Thats where I say the teams surviving with the injuries, its not about depth, its about having that superstar who pulls them through. 

Cause guess what, with 31 teams and a salary cap, by the time you get to the 14th, 15th, 16th, forward in the organization, its either some kid in the AHL who is developping and needs more time, or its some journeyman like Hudon who might be good in the AHL but isn't in the NHL.  Thats what every team around the league has to deal with. 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Amen.  I've been saying this forever.  We haven't had a PPG player since Vincent Damphousse in 1995-96 for the love of God.

12 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Amen.  I've been saying this forever.  We haven't had a PPG player since Vincent Damphousse in 1995-96 for the love of God.

Of course, they aren't easy to get.  Especially after 2015, when the draft lottery rules changed and finishing in last still only gives you a 1 in 5 chance of picking first and over 50% odds of picking fourth now  (and thats even assuming there is a superstar available, which in some years... Hischier, Ryan Nugent Hopkins, etc... its merely a good player and not that superstar.

4 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Kovalev was most recent I think. 84 points.

7 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Yes he was, but the last Hab in top ten in scoring...#26 in 19 friggin 85-86. He was 8th with 110pts... only 105 points behind the #1 scorer.

One way game has changed over 35 years, in 85-86 20 of top 25 scorers were Canadian, last year 11 of top 25 scorers were Canadian.

Say what you like about Timmins, but his inability to draft a single elite forward in 15 years as chief scout is pretty appalling. MB can spew all the verbal diarrhea about 'luck' that he likes, but at some point it's not luck any more, it's something deeper than that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Say what you like about Timmins, but his inability to draft a single elite forward in 15 years as chief scout is pretty appalling. MB can spew all the verbal diarrhea about 'luck' that he likes, but at some point it's not luck any more, it's something deeper than that.

Yeah! He should have skipped Price in the 2003 draft and picked Gilbert Brule or Jack Skille as #5 instead to get us that elite forward.

1 good (top line)  pick in 17 years, something you should get promotion for. 

hats off to timmins. 

Player development and piss poor drafting is why the habs are where they are, irrelevant 

10 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yeah! He should have skipped Price in the 2003 draft and picked Gilbert Brule or Jack Skille as #5 instead to get us that elite forward.

So your hanging your hat on one pick in 2005 (not 2003  - that was kostitsyn in what was probably one one the best drafts ever).

ignore the majority of the 1st round busts other than maxpac.

18 minutes ago, Chris said:

my favorite pick was leblanc instead of kreider, whoopps 

Really?  You didn’t like the kostitsyn pick over Jeff carter, Dustin Brown, seabrook, Parise, Getzlaf, Brent burns, Kessler, Richards and Perry in the first round and Corey Urquhart in the 2nd round over Patrice Bergeron, Shea Weber and Corey Crawford?

12 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

He was a short term pickup for 4 seasons, not a long tenured 'core' player, I forgot he topped 82 that one year.  Nice catch...thank-you.

It's at center that we haven't had a ppg player since 1995-96.

Timmins does what the GM tells him. You can say what you want about Timmins but it's the gm that tells him what type of players to look for and/or scouting for the draft and/or trades. Who ever the gm has been at the time that's who he has been listening too. So in the 03' draft a lot of heat goes on BG and also 05' draft as well.

51 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Boy, that is some iron logic you're showing there. You know what? I'm utterly convinced. Your compelling argumentation, backed by reams of rigorous evidence, has demonstrated beyond any doubt that Timmins has an astonishing, unsurpassable track record of finding REALLY high-end, impact fowards, draft after draft after draft. It truly has been a privilege to behold wave after wave of elite talent flooding into the Bell Centre, year upon year - what a gift to see forward units that leave the 1985 Oilers in the shade through this non stop parade of supremacy: Art Ross after Art Ross, Richard Trophy after Richard Trophy, first All-Star selection after first All-Star selection, it's been a veritable jaw-dropping tsunami of FW bedazzlement! Yaaaaaaay, Timmins! Hell - yaaaaaay, the entire Habs management since 1995!!!!! What have we done to deserve such monumental excellence and achievement? Why, the only downside of Timmins' unrelenting drafting wizardry is finding room in the rafters for all those FW jerseys we're going to have to retire when he's done. HOORAY FOR EVERYTHING!!!!!

5 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Leblanc pick was to play to the Montreal fans and media since the draft was in Montreal.

Flipped back to 1st mock draft 2009 i could find and they had #18 Leblanc , #21 Krieder

3 minutes ago, DON said:

Flipped back to 1st mock draft 2009 i could find and they had #18 Leblanc , #21 Krieder

Yeah I am just saying had the draft not been in Montreal would they have drafted him still? It had been awhile since the habs at that time draft a player from Montreal and the media and fans were getting restless. That played a part in drafting him in his home town.

11 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Yeah I am just saying had the draft not been in Montreal would they have drafted him still? It had been awhile since the habs at that time draft a player from Montreal and the media and fans were getting restless. That played a part in drafting him in his home town.

I am sure it had a part to play..but to pick him at 17 wasnt a huge reach at the time.

20 minutes ago, DON said:

McKenzie has the habs taking Kreider.