HW Soccer Fanatics

bombTHEice

WTF, why are you all Hammers fans? Shame on you, Kosmos, Dutchie & Co.!!! :wacko::P

Why? Which team do you root for?

I'm a Spurs fan mostly because my of my dad. Plus, Tottenham has always been a pretty popular team in Sweden. On top of that, they try to play football. They may not always succeed (least in the last number of years they haven't gotten any results) but they have the ambition to play a kind of football that is fun to watch.

Maybe in 4 or 5 years we have Twente-Levante match in Champions League :king:

Haha that would be fun, but most of the time we have a top3 here (Ajax/Feyenoord/PSV) and those clubs take the CHamp.League tickets. The gap is to big. Since a couple of years AZ is doing quite well and are having a shot now.

I always follow small teams in other league's so im a bit familiar with Levante, i think its always fun for a small team to perform good.

Why? Which team do you root for?

I'm a Spurs fan mostly because my of my dad. Plus, Tottenham has always been a pretty popular team in Sweden. On top of that, they try to play football. They may not always succeed (least in the last number of years they haven't gotten any results) but they have the ambition to play a kind of football that is fun to watch.

He's a Gunner :puke:

Last night it was great to be Swedish. B)

Yeah that was a good win for Sweden, nice "Counter" btw on that second goal! Very nice.

Holland didnt have a very good evening (as i heard, i havent seen it)

1-1 draw against Bulgaria. 1 goal dissalowed (it should have been a goal), and hit the crossbar. They played very good on a totally wet field. It was drenched. Kuijt is now injured so we are very thin on strikers.

1 goal dissalowed (it should have been a goal), and hit the crossbar. They played very good on a totally wet field. It was drenched.

Yea, van Persie would have scored his 2nd that evening but the ref disallowed it - totally crap, it should have counted. He also hit the crossbar in the 1st, he's playing awesome currently.

im a man utd fan and i would reccomend never visit liverpool- unless you support them and are in their end of the ground- their fans are scum who throw piss and coins at you. i go to man united games quite often and i am ashmaed to say although we have the bigggest ground in england it has one of the worst atmospeheres unless were playing liverpool manchester city , chelsea, or arsenal. i have never seen a game in holland or europe but have heard the dutch fans can be nasty if they want to be- so can english fans- you gotta watch yourself- you could get punched by a hooligan at any time.

Ouch, England lost 0-2 to Croatia - especially the 2nd goal was super from Neville and Robinson. :lol:

our whole team needs shooting.

Swedish sport news are reporting that English media is all over Steve McLaren. Apparently Sven-Göran Eriksson doesn't look as bad anymore. Personally I think the British media is nuts and I don't care much what they think.

There is little one can do on a goal like that. When you're about to shoot the ball and it unexpectedly bounces on the grass, you're screwed. Looked real funny though.

I wouldn't be too tough on England for losing to Croatia though. The Croatians have never lost a qualifying game at home. Not being able to Macedonia on the other hand, that's a whole other thing.

Sweden closed the season with a 2-1 win at Iceland. Kim Källström (my favorite non-Spurs player) scored the 1-1 goal and Christian Wilhelmsson scored the winning 2-1 goal. Funny thing about Källström is that the TV3 reporter asked him if Juninho had inspired him, and he answered, jokingly, that yes, he had been studying Juninho up close the last couple of weeks, Källström also said that the new ball is terrible to play with except for fixed situations like free kicks, because you never know how it's going to curve in the air.

Wilhelmsson came on as a substitute against Spain and did a good job in that game, and he played from start yesterday, and he was rewarded with scoring the winning goal, a very important goal. See what happens when you follow the rules like the rest of the team.

Personally I don't know if it means anything, but the match commentator (the always abominable Henrik Strömblad) made a big deal of the fact that both Källström and Wilhelmsson has scored against Iceland before. I mean, although we have played Iceland before, it's not like we play them eight times per season.

I think Iceland played more optimistically than I had expected. It wasn't the old Drillo Olsen patented Norwegian-style type of play with long balls to a lone forward, they really tried to pass the ball around. Then again, being impressed is hardly the word I would use. It's all relative. I think it suited the Swedish team rather well, so I don't know whether the Icelandic strategy was stroke of genious or an act of desperation. They are in a bad spot, and our team could just sit back and let them make the mistakes. The defense wasn't as great as they weer against Spain, but since the opposition wasn't as good either, I was never really that worried. It wasn't a perfect game defensively, not at all, but it was enough. The goal that Iceland scored was nice, Shaaban stood too far out from the net and the ball was lobbed over him. That was like in the 6th minute, but since Källström tied it only a few minutes after that, Iceland never got a chance to build up any momentum.

Conditions were really bad. Strong winds and rain. It was very difficult to play the ball if you didn't keep in on the ground. The game was kind of boring actually. But perhaps that's relative too., with the game against Spain in mind. More and more experts say that our success depends on our getting back to our basics. We're not meant to play the glamorous soccer that was expected from the team during the World Cup when we had our biggest assembly of stars in years, with Zlatan and Ljunberg and Henrik Larsson. Now that we have had to do without them, everyone is forced to pitch in more. Larsson has retired from the national team, Zlatan is out in the cold, and Ljungberg was out with an injury. Dependable GK Andreas Isaksson is also injured, and central defender Olof Mellberg, who played his best national team game in ages against Spain (brought back memories of days long gone), was forced to stay at the hotel. Sounded like he had had too much BK or Taco Bell, if you catch my drift. Also, midfielder Anders Svensson was suspended after getting a second yellow card against Spain, so coach Lagerbäck had no other choice than to put Källström in.

That's something I just can't get my head around BTW. It seems as if Lagerbäck is hell-bent on going with Svensson over Källström unless he is forced to do otherwise. IMO there is nothing that Svensson can do that Källström cannot do better. Svensson is however a couple years older and more experienced. But Källström is one of the greatest talents to come out of Swedish football for a long, long time. He should have bene a mainstay on the Swedish team by now.

Well, I can dream, can't I?

What's really important is we got the win last night. There's a long way to go, but we're in as good a position to finish well as we'll ever be in. If we can't qualify for a big tournament after this start, we never will.

You can't stop there though. Qualifying in itself is nice, but I am a little worried by comments that I heard after the World Cup. Sweden is a very small country compared to the big cahunas, and we should be happy with just making it to the big championships and even happier that we can get past the group stage. To that I say "BULLSHIT!" If we could keep Brazil from scoring until the 70th minute in the semifinal back in 1994, why should we set our goals lower now, at least long term goals? Should we not aim to get back to that level rather than just being content with getting ass######ed in the first game after the groupd stage?

I can dream, can't I?

Zlatan says he thinks Sweden can win the gold in the World Cup. Personally I think that would take a miracle, but if you don't have those kinds of dreams, then what's the point?

Swedish sport news are reporting that English media is all over Steve McLaren. Apparently Sven-Göran Eriksson doesn't look as bad anymore. Personally I think the British media is nuts and I don't care much what they think.

There is little one can do on a goal like that. When you're about to shoot the ball and it unexpectedly bounces on the grass, you're screwed. Looked real funny though.

I wouldn't be too tough on England for losing to Croatia though. The Croatians have never lost a qualifying game at home. Not being able to Macedonia on the other hand, that's a whole other thing.

Sweden closed the season with a 2-1 win at Iceland. Kim Källström (my favorite non-Spurs player) scored the 1-1 goal and Christian Wilhelmsson scored the winning 2-1 goal. Funny thing about Källström is that the TV3 reporter asked him if Juninho had inspired him, and he answered, jokingly, that yes, he had been studying Juninho up close the last couple of weeks, Källström also said that the new ball is terrible to play with except for fixed situations like free kicks, because you never know how it's going to curve in the air.

Wilhelmsson came on as a substitute against Spain and did a good job in that game, and he played from start yesterday, and he was rewarded with scoring the winning goal, a very important goal. See what happens when you follow the rules like the rest of the team.

Personally I don't know if it means anything, but the match commentator (the always abominable Henrik Strömblad) made a big deal of the fact that both Källström and Wilhelmsson has scored against Iceland before. I mean, although we have played Iceland before, it's not like we play them eight times per season.

I think Iceland played more optimistically than I had expected. It wasn't the old Drillo Olsen patented Norwegian-style type of play with long balls to a lone forward, they really tried to pass the ball around. Then again, being impressed is hardly the word I would use. It's all relative. I think it suited the Swedish team rather well, so I don't know whether the Icelandic strategy was stroke of genious or an act of desperation. They are in a bad spot, and our team could just sit back and let them make the mistakes. The defense wasn't as great as they weer against Spain, but since the opposition wasn't as good either, I was never really that worried. It wasn't a perfect game defensively, not at all, but it was enough. The goal that Iceland scored was nice, Shaaban stood too far out from the net and the ball was lobbed over him. That was like in the 6th minute, but since Källström tied it only a few minutes after that, Iceland never got a chance to build up any momentum.

Conditions were really bad. Strong winds and rain. It was very difficult to play the ball if you didn't keep in on the ground. The game was kind of boring actually. But perhaps that's relative too., with the game against Spain in mind. More and more experts say that our success depends on our getting back to our basics. We're not meant to play the glamorous soccer that was expected from the team during the World Cup when we had our biggest assembly of stars in years, with Zlatan and Ljunberg and Henrik Larsson. Now that we have had to do without them, everyone is forced to pitch in more. Larsson has retired from the national team, Zlatan is out in the cold, and Ljungberg was out with an injury. Dependable GK Andreas Isaksson is also injured, and central defender Olof Mellberg, who played his best national team game in ages against Spain (brought back memories of days long gone), was forced to stay at the hotel. Sounded like he had had too much BK or Taco Bell, if you catch my drift. Also, midfielder Anders Svensson was suspended after getting a second yellow card against Spain, so coach Lagerbäck had no other choice than to put Källström in.

That's something I just can't get my head around BTW. It seems as if Lagerbäck is hell-bent on going with Svensson over Källström unless he is forced to do otherwise. IMO there is nothing that Svensson can do that Källström cannot do better. Svensson is however a couple years older and more experienced. But Källström is one of the greatest talents to come out of Swedish football for a long, long time. He should have bene a mainstay on the Swedish team by now.

Well, I can dream, can't I?

What's really important is we got the win last night. There's a long way to go, but we're in as good a position to finish well as we'll ever be in. If we can't qualify for a big tournament after this start, we never will.

You can't stop there though. Qualifying in itself is nice, but I am a little worried by comments that I heard after the World Cup. Sweden is a very small country compared to the big cahunas, and we should be happy with just making it to the big championships and even happier that we can get past the group stage. To that I say "BULLSHIT!" If we could keep Brazil from scoring until the 70th minute in the semifinal back in 1994, why should we set our goals lower now, at least long term goals? Should we not aim to get back to that level rather than just being content with getting ass######ed in the first game after the groupd stage?

I can dream, can't I?

Zlatan says he thinks Sweden can win the gold in the World Cup. Personally I think that would take a miracle, but if you don't have those kinds of dreams, then what's the point?

a bunch of blind budgies stand more chance of winning the world cup than sweden :P

Well, I didn't say we're going to win it, what I said is it'd take a miracle.

When we won the bronze back in '94, that was probably the single greatest performance by a Swedish national team ever, at least that I know of.

And I don't want to pick a fight with you Killer, so don't get me started on how England has accomplished virtually squat since their win after a questionable Geoff Hurst goal in 1966. ;)

But whether we're ever going to win it is besides the point. My point is that if you don't have that dream, if you don't have that ambition, then what is the point?

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

Well, I didn't say we're going to win it, what I said is it'd take a miracle.

When we won the bronze back in '94, that was probably the single greatest performance by a Swedish national team ever, at least that I know of.

I loved the 94 team with Brolin and who was that other striker? Dahlstrom?

Edit: It was Dahlin, i was close ;)

Edited by Dutch_Habs_Fan

Brolin was the creative midfielder, Martin Dahlin and Kennet Andersson was the duo up front.

I have a DVD with a TV chronicle about that tournament that Sveriges Television made after it was all over. I get tears in my eyes every time I watch it.

im a man utd fan and i would reccomend never visit liverpool- unless you support them and are in their end of the ground- their fans are scum who throw piss and coins at you. i go to man united games quite often and i am ashmaed to say although we have the bigggest ground in england it has one of the worst atmospeheres unless were playing liverpool manchester city , chelsea, or arsenal. i have never seen a game in holland or europe but have heard the dutch fans can be nasty if they want to be- so can english fans- you gotta watch yourself- you could get punched by a hooligan at any time.

Be objective Killer Carlson (and yes, I'm a Liverpool supporter). There are plenty of Man U supporters who act as stupidly as the idiots at Anfield - for example the ones who have made it their life's duty to sing songs about Hillsborough.

Be objective Killer Carlson (and yes, I'm a Liverpool supporter). There are plenty of Man U supporters who act as stupidly as the idiots at Anfield - for example the ones who have made it their life's duty to sing songs about Hillsborough.

its true and i condemm that-did you know though that when liverpool played chelsea in the f.a cup semi final at Old Trafford last season they graffitied the walls and toilets of old trafford with signs saying 'muncih scum'- we have never lowered ourselves to that. the odd yunited fan might sing about hillsborugh but the majority realise it was a tragic event- i have been to plenty of man utd liverfool games and your fans have always behaved disgustingly.they even sing songs about the late great george best. :puke:

Everywhere we go people still make firework sounds! Disgusting!!

In 2001 a Fireworkwarehouse exploded in the city FcTwente comes from. Ruining a whole part of the city and killing around 15 people. Its sick people make fun of that!

the word we are looking for is MORONS.

I'm sure every teams has airhead "fans" like that. Some teams might have more of them, some might have fewer.

Don't confuse them with real fans though.

Just watched the Battle of Britain, though it wasn't such a battle in the end ... *fg*

1-0 for England with a goal from Joe Cole but it wasn't a great game ... Wales not dangerous enough and England trying their new 4-5-1 system.

Hopefully the evening games will be a bit more interesting ...

seriously...they should do like hockey and find away for the sport to have more goals...i remember earlier this year was it barcelona against ...well i dont remeber but the game ended 0-0 and barcelona went on for the title....boooooooring...i need goals dammit

I've never understood what everyone's problem with tied games is all about. I think it's a perfectly acceptable way for a game to end. For example, the Habs-Sens game should have ended with a tie. Sometimes, both teams have played too well to get a notch in their losses coiumn. In this particular game, neither team was good enough to deserve a win.