HW Soccer Fanatics

bombTHEice

I've never understood what everyone's problem with tied games is all about. I think it's a perfectly acceptable way for a game to end. For example, the Habs-Sens game should have ended with a tie. Sometimes, both teams have played too well to get a notch in their losses coiumn. In this particular game, neither team was good enough to deserve a win.

i know what you mean but it makes it more exciting at the same time dont you think?

I've got a question gor you europeans habs fans.

can you explain me how the football(soccer) season works with all the different championships such as the champions league and the regular season... I beleive it's a bit different than a hockey season.

I've got a question gor you europeans habs fans.

can you explain me how the football(soccer) season works with all the different championships such as the champions league and the regular season... I beleive it's a bit different than a hockey season.

Domestically, there are at least two competitions: the league and the cup (sometimes, there are more than one cup, and sometimes, in some of the Latin American countries, they have two league championships per year). In the league, you play each team twice, once home and once away. Three points for a win, one for a tie. The winner is the team with the most points at the end of the season. The cups are knockout competitions.

The league and cup are completely different competitions. Winning the league is more prestigious, and in many countries nobody gives a damn about cup competitions anymore.

Then there is European competition. The Champions League is the most prestigious competition. In the better leagues like England, Spain, Germany and Italy, the top 3 or 4 teams from the previous years league standings make it to the Champions League. France, Russia and the Netherlands (I think) usually get 3 teams each, though never four. Medium strength leagues like Greece, Ukraine, Portugal, Scotland etc. get two teams. The minnow leagues like Belarus and Albania get one team, which has to go through qualifying (and rarely make it).

Then there is the UEFA Cup. The teams that finished below the Champions League qualifiers play in this competition. Again, it varies from league to league. You can also make the UEFA Cup if you win your domestic cup competition: for example, if a team finishes 15th in England but wins the League or FA Cup, then they qualify for the UEFA Cup. Also, teams that crash out of the Champions League by finishing 3rd in their groups also make the UEFA Cup. 13 or so years ago, the Champions Cup (predecessor to the Champions League) only accepted the Champions from every domestic league, so the UEFA Cup was important, certainly more important than it is today. Honestly, the UEFA Cup has become pointless - it's like getting together the teams that missed the NHL playoffs and setting up a playoff for them.

There is also the Intertoto Cup. This if for teams that fail to qualify for either the Champions League or the UEFA Cup. The winners of the Intertoto Cup (there are three) win the right to play in the UEFA Cup.

This is a very Eurocentric view of the soccer world, but it works much the same way on other continents. In South America, they have the Copa Libertadores and the Copa Sudamericana, which are roughly equivalent to the Champions League and UEFA Cup. There is also an African and Asian Champions League.

There are a whole host of other club competitions such as the World Club Cup, the Intercontinental Cup and the European Supercup, but I'm too lazy to explain them.

Well, I didn't say we're going to win it, what I said is it'd take a miracle.

When we won the bronze back in '94, that was probably the single greatest performance by a Swedish national team ever, at least that I know of.

And I don't want to pick a fight with you Killer, so don't get me started on how England has accomplished virtually squat since their win after a questionable Geoff Hurst goal in 1966. ;)

But whether we're ever going to win it is besides the point. My point is that if you don't have that dream, if you don't have that ambition, then what is the point?

Sweden came second in the 1958 World Cup, losing in the finals to the Pele-led Brazilians.

Edited by option+

Domestically, there are at least two competitions: the league and the cup (sometimes, there are more than one cup, and sometimes, in some of the Latin American countries, they have two league championships per year). In the league, you play each team twice, once home and once away. Three points for a win, one for a tie. The winner is the team with the most points at the end of the season. The cups are knockout competitions.

The league and cup are completely different competitions. Winning the league is more prestigious, and in many countries nobody gives a damn about cup competitions anymore.

Then there is European competition. The Champions League is the most prestigious competition. In the better leagues like England, Spain, Germany and Italy, the top 3 or 4 teams from the previous years league standings make it to the Champions League. France, Russia and the Netherlands (I think) usually get 3 teams each, though never four. Medium strength leagues like Greece, Ukraine, Portugal, Scotland etc. get two teams. The minnow leagues like Belarus and Albania get one team, which has to go through qualifying (and rarely make it).

Then there is the UEFA Cup. The teams that finished below the Champions League qualifiers play in this competition. Again, it varies from league to league. You can also make the UEFA Cup if you win your domestic cup competition: for example, if a team finishes 15th in England but wins the League or FA Cup, then they qualify for the UEFA Cup. Also, teams that crash out of the Champions League by finishing 3rd in their groups also make the UEFA Cup. 13 or so years ago, the Champions Cup (predecessor to the Champions League) only accepted the Champions from every domestic league, so the UEFA Cup was important, certainly more important than it is today. Honestly, the UEFA Cup has become pointless - it's like getting together the teams that missed the NHL playoffs and setting up a playoff for them.

There is also the Intertoto Cup. This if for teams that fail to qualify for either the Champions League or the UEFA Cup. The winners of the Intertoto Cup (there are three) win the right to play in the UEFA Cup.

This is a very Eurocentric view of the soccer world, but it works much the same way on other continents. In South America, they have the Copa Libertadores and the Copa Sudamericana, which are roughly equivalent to the Champions League and UEFA Cup. There is also an African and Asian Champions League.

:wacko:

thanks for the insights

its true and i condemm that-did you know though that when liverpool played chelsea in the f.a cup semi final at Old Trafford last season they graffitied the walls and toilets of old trafford with signs saying 'muncih scum'- we have never lowered ourselves to that. the odd yunited fan might sing about hillsborugh but the majority realise it was a tragic event- i have been to plenty of man utd liverfool games and your fans have always behaved disgustingly.they even sing songs about the late great george best. :puke:

Yes, I did know that. I am fully aware that some Liverpool fans are complete disgraces. But arguing about who's fans are worse is completely pointless, because for every example you give me of Liverpool fans acting up, I can give you a counter example of United supporters doing something similar, which ultimately leads us nowhere except for an interminable argument. How about we just agree that it's a good rivalry and leave it at that?

:wacko:

thanks for the insights

I guess the important thing to understand is that there are a bunch of different championships and therefore a bunch of different champions. It's not like North American pro sports where all the games played produce one singular champion.

Edited by option+

i know what you mean but it makes it more exciting at the same time dont you think?

Overtime, yes, shootouts, no. I hate shootouts. We had shootouts in the Swedish Elite League for a couple years, but got rid of them. In the end, even the players hated it.

There are a whole host of other club competitions such as the World Club Cup, the Intercontinental Cup and the European Supercup, but I'm too lazy to explain them.

Sweden came second in the 1958 World Cup, losing in the finals to the Pele-led Brazilians.

Yes, but it was a different game back then. The competition wasn't nearly as tough.

Overtime, yes, shootouts, no. I hate shootouts. We had shootouts in the Swedish Elite League for a couple years, but got rid of them. In the end, even the players hated it.

Yes, but it was a different game back then. The competition wasn't nearly as tough.

hey who won chelsea or barcolona? i had to stop watching after the first period

Half. The first half. Soccer games are played in halves.

I fell asleep during the start of the second. I don't remember if I saw the goal or not. Can't comment on the second, but the first was pretty entertaining.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah he did that again, took some guys from AZ that havent been picked before. Well yeah behind Ajax and PSV it's AZ that rules the dutch league. They play so good (the best soccer in our league, but not always the best results) My team is competing well this season as well. We were 3rd, and now 4th in the league. We got a good team that can stay up there, but most of the times we have a good half and a bad half o the season. Lets hope for the best this year. We need another good second half, its the second time we have playoffs.

FORZA MILAN !

not this year ...

ol_logo.jpg

Lyon rules over Europe B)

They will defeat (again ... and again) the Real Madrid soon.

They are undefeated for this 2006/2007 season : 17 games , 16 victories, 1 tied. Including Champions' League :P

not this year ...

ol_logo.jpg

Lyon rules over Europe B)

They will defeat (again ... and again) the Real Madrid soon.

They are undefeated for this 2006/2007 season : 17 games , 16 victories, 1 tied. Including Champions' League :P

...I think you'll note that AC has no losses in CL thus far either and conceded only 3 goals :clap: Don't count your chickens just yet :P

...I think you'll note that AC has no losses in CL thus far either and conceded only 3 goals :clap: Don't count your chickens just yet :P

About Champions League ? Lyon played 4 games, 4 victories. 0 (zero) goal against B)

The french championship is not that bad, but ... you just cant beat them.

Edit : yes Milan defeated Lyon in 1/4 finals last season, but that was soooo close ... and year after year, Milan looks like Detroit in NHL : too old ... :lol:

Edited by ArtoVuoti

About Champions League ? Lyon played 4 games, 4 victories. 0 (zero) goal against B)

Edit : yes Milan defeated Lyon in 1/4 finals last season, but that was soooo close ... and year after year, Milan looks like Detroit in NHL : too old ... :lol:

Hey Hey hey ......don't be bashing on my boys....lol Are they an older team well yes but look at who are the seniors of the team Maldini....you and I both know I don't need to say a word about him, Costacurta, Dida, Inzaghi, Gattuso and my boy Nesta. Now we have a few great young ones as well.... Kaka, Gourcuff, Gilardino. Now lets face it the Rossoneri have had struggles but they are in fact MILAN !

Milan lucked out against Lyon last year. This is the year that Lyon break through and make at least the semifinals. Are you a Lyon supporter ArtoVuoti? I definitely am... never get to see any games here, except for the rare one on TV5.

Milan lucked out against Lyon last year. This is the year that Lyon break through and make at least the semifinals. Are you a Lyon supporter ArtoVuoti? I definitely am... never get to see any games here, except for the rare one on TV5.

LMAO ! .....yes that is what Milan is famous for....winning all their cups and titles via luck .....lol

Milan are obviously a great team, but if you honestly think that Milan were better than Lyon last year in the quarterfinals, then you are delusional. Lyon were five minutes away from advancing before Milan scored, on a shot that ricocheted off of both posts before Inzaghi swept it in. Milan got jobbed in the next round against Barça, but they were lucky to get that far to begin with...

I like the way they play, i do not really support the team. It's just a pleasure to see them.

Their team got a real spirit, the players are young and skilled, most of them are international players (during the last world cup and France - Bresil, 5 french and 3 brasilian players were from Lyon !).

It's easy to watch them on TV, every weekend ... and champions' league. I'd prefer TV to broadcast ice hockey instead of soccer ! :P

And you're right, it would be disappointing for them not to reach the semi final this season.

DK's brain: Oh, glory of glories. Oh heavenly testament to the eternal majesty of God's creation.

DK: Holy macaroni!

OK, I ripped that off of the Simpsons. But what words could better describe the feeling when my beloved Tottenham Hotspurs beat Chelsea, 2-1, for the first time in 16 years.

DK <3 Aaron Lennon.

Edited by Doktor Kosmos