HW Soccer Fanatics

bombTHEice

Why is Liverpool paying big money for another forward? I can understand the need for depth, but they've already got Kuyt, Crouch, and Torres up front. Why pay big money for another guy?

He's a Winger, those 3 arent.

And Zenden played on the wing and left(Marseille), and they are not very pleased with Kewell. Well Babel wont do wel either, overrated!!

Went to a pre-season game of FcTwente today, against local amateurs. Always fun to see the new guys for the first time, i think we got a very good team, maybe equal to last year (we lost some keyplayers).

Stein played a good match, looking forward to the new season!

He's a Winger, those 3 arent.

And Zenden played on the wing and left(Marseille), and they are not very pleased with Kewell. Well Babel wont do wel either, overrated!!

Ah, didn't know he also played in the wing position. When I looked him up, whatever I read only mentioned striker for him. As for Kewell, I wouldn't say they aren't pleased with his play, they haven't been pleased with his health. He's hardly played at all the last couple years.

The Copa America final starts in about ten minutes. It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top. I think Argentina looks strong so the Brazilians are gonna have their hands full.

I don't really care who wins, as long as it's an entertaining game.

Hmm, that didn't turn out like I'd expected at all. Brazil cruised to a rather easy 3-0 win.

The Brazilians played a tight defensive game and a very physical one, borderline dirty. This was obviously their best choice of strategy, since they didn't have any of the stars like Kaka, Ronaldinho, Adriano, Cafu, Roberto Carlos and Dida on the roster. The Argentinians got a lot of freekicks, most of which did nothing but disrupt the flow of the game, which definitely favored Brazil. They were on Riquelme and Messi like leeches. Most of the Argentinian stars accomplished nothing throughout the game. Argentina had no real co-ordinated offensive play going. Too much passing sideways, too little running and getting to open spaces. Although there wasn't much open space on the Brazilian half of the pitch, they closed down the Argentinians pretty well.

In the fourth minute Messi got the ball on the Brazilian half, on the right flank A poorly executed pass led to a Brazilian counter attack. They moved the ball forward on their right flank and then Elano found Julio Baptista towards the left of the Argentinian penelty area, and he put it in the back of the net with a beautiful shot. There was about to be a lot of these situations. The Argentinians fumbled the ball in offensive positions, Brazil got possession, the Argentinian forwards and offensive midfielders didn't hustle and backcheck, the Brazilians could come in a lot of counter attacks 2-on-2, 3-on-3, perhaps not odd man rushes but close to it. Defensively Argentina stunk up the place.

Argentina came real close to tying it about 4-5 minutes later though. Riquelme hit the post. Too bad he had to use his left foot; maybe if he'd been able to shoot it with his right foot he might've been able to put it past Doni. He got another chance in the 35th minute, with his right foot this time, a shot inside the penely area, but Doni made a brilliant one-hand save and deflected it to a corner for Argentina.

A minute later Riquelme wasted a good FK and the Brazilians countered. Riquelme, like Messi had done early on just before Brazil's 1-0 goal, showed no intention what-so-ever to backcheck and it all led to a dangerous chance for Brazil. Another minute or so later Brazil countered again and Daniel Alves, who'd replaced the injured Elano, threw a cross in from the right. Argentinian central defender and team captain Ayala deflected the ball into his own net. Brazil were up 2-0.

The game didn't change much in the second. In the 63rd minute Argentina had a good chance to score. Messi fired a shot from the left side of the Brazilian penelty area but a Brazilian defender blocked it. The ball landed at the feet of Carlos Tevez and he too fired a good shot but it was deflected to a corner that in the end led to nothing.

In the 69th minute Brazil got on another very nicely executed counter attack. Vagner Love (how can you not love that name?) Moved the ball forward along the left flank and found Daniel Alves with a perfect pass. Alves could easily just place the ball inside the GK's right-hand post. Brazil were ahead 3-0 and the jig was for all intents and purposes up.

Riquelme wasted yet another good FK chance in the 79th minute. Messi scored in the 81st but the goal was called off for offside, or possible a hand ball on Gabriel Heinze. In the 84th Messi squandered a good chance and Brazil countered again. Vagner Love put the ball only inches outside the Argentinian goalie's left-hand post. 4 or 5 minutes later Riquelme totally blew yet another in the long line of wasted FK's.

Overall I don't think it was a very entertaining game. Argentina couldn't get any kind of constructive offense going; Brazil ran a very tight shift defensively and won the game with well executed quick counter attacks. Argentina had no flow or speed, it took them too long to get closer to the Brazilian net so the Brazilian always had more than enough time to get back on defense. Argentina had 3 shots on goal and 5 wide, Brazil had 5 on goal and three went in (although one was an own goal). Argentina had 57 of the ball possession. I was rooting more for Argentina but there's no doubt that Brazil was the better side last night and deserved the win.

The trophy ceremony after the game was nothing special, standard stuff, and it took them an eternity to organize it, so overall it was not a very good ceremony. At least not if you have to sit and just wait for half an hour at 1 o'clock at night. Overall a bit of a disappointment.

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

Coming from someone who is Dutch..

Ouch.

Yeah but i never liked Robben. He frustrates me when he's in the dutch national team. He's a wanker!!

Can play so good, but it never comes out totally! He's to selfish in the field, he needs to look at v.Persie..

And those "Swalbes" are the worst, and he runs like a women!

Yeah but i never liked Robben. He frustrates me when he's in the dutch national team. He's a wanker!!

Can play so good, but it never comes out totally! He's to selfish in the field, he needs to look at v.Persie..

Alex Kovalev ???

And those "Swalbes" are the worst, and he runs like a women!

I used to like him until the World Cup last year.

I agree, he is a wanker. That video was hilarious.

Announcement for the new stadium to be built by 2010 for Liverpool FC

absolutely incredible, George Gillete has impressed

now lets fix those Habs!!!

pics to follow

Edited by dinamo

Dunno what to say about the new LFC stadium ... looks a bit weird but also interesting. Though I suppose there won't be the same great atmosphere as at the old Anfield Road.

I agree Anfield was amazing!!! But i like the new stadium, looks very modern.

The Premier League starts tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it. Can't believe it's time already.

My brother's coming over. It'll be a whole Saturday filled with soccer, soccer and more soccer. We'll be watching Spurs visit Sunderland, which is the early game of the opening round. Are Sunderland the ones who play at the Stadium of Light? I just think that's a cool name for an arena.

For the 3 o'clock GMT game we'll probably watch West Ham vs. Manchester City. It's going to be interesting to see how Freddie Ljungberg will do in West Ham, and how Sven-Göran Eriksson will do in Manchester.

Cool thing for my brother and I is that the 5:15 game is Aston Villa vs. Liverpool. My brother is a Liverpool fan, so he's obviously looking forward to seeing his favorite squad. And I think it's going to be interesting to see 'Pool too; they've made a lot of changes to their roster during this off-season. Most of all I look forward to seeing Fernando Torres.