HW Soccer Fanatics

bombTHEice

Big win for Liverpool yesterday, their road to the next round was helped quite a bit. Liverpool beat Porto 4-1 and Besiktas helped the Reds even more by beating Marseille 2-1. That puts Porto at 8 points, Liverpool and Marseille both at 7. This means that Liverpool will only need a draw to advance to the next round, as they hold the tie breaker over Porto, having a 5-2 goal advantage head-to-head.

Big win for Liverpool yesterday, their road to the next round was helped quite a bit. Liverpool beat Porto 4-1 and Besiktas helped the Reds even more by beating Marseille 2-1. That puts Porto at 8 points, Liverpool and Marseille both at 7. This means that Liverpool will only need a draw to advance to the next round, as they hold the tie breaker over Porto, having a 5-2 goal advantage head-to-head.

i have a question here :

Group A Pld W D L gF gA Pts

Porto 5 2 2 1 6 7 8

Marseilles 5 2 1 2 6 5 7

Liverpool 5 2 1 2 14 5 7

Beşiktaş 5 2 0 3 4 13 6

now what if Marseille and Liverpool draw and Besiktas wins over Porto ? that will put Besiktas with 9 points and the 3 other teams with 8 points but Marseille would have 1 win and 1 draw against Liverpool, what would happen?

****!

Holland isn't even gonna make it out of their group at Euro.

Yeah but still i love this poule. If you wanna win the tourney, you gotta beat them all. Our team sucks, but if we get things straight we got a very small change.

Cuz Italie starts always bad, and the worst team we play last. Roemenia is good, but not the best in the poule.

FcTwente Kicked ass today, beat AZ 2-1. It should have been more...it was nice

i have a question here :

Porto 5 2 2 1 6 7 8

Marseilles 5 2 1 2 6 5 7

Liverpool 5 2 1 2 14 5 7

Beşiktaş 5 2 0 3 4 13 6

now what if Marseille and Liverpool draw and Besiktas wins over Porto ? that will put Besiktas with 9 points and the 3 other teams with 8 points but Marseille would have 1 win and 1 draw against Liverpool, what would happen?

That's a good question.

Euro 2008

Group A (the cup cake group)

Swiss Army knife

not slovakia

brazil's mom

gobble gobble

Group B (the we've all been governed by germans at one point group)

land of mozart

powder keg

beer people

polar bears

Group C (the group of death)

Dutchies

Romans

Vampires

Vineyards

Group D (the girls you want to party with group)

Olives

vikings

siestas

vodka

I like

from cup cake:

Brazil's mom

we are not slovakia

the Germanic's:

beer people

powder kegs

group of death:

Romans

dutchies

and last the clubbers, the party people and the hot women

Vikings

Vodka

which only means the party group will become the plunder group. lol

Wow, I hadn't even thought about Besiktas winning, I never paid any attention to them, I assumed that if Liverpool beat them 8-0, they must not be good enough to even be in the mix. If that were to happen, Liverpool would be out, because Marseille will win the head-to-head with Liverpool. Not sure what the Marseille-Porto situation is like, but Liverpool would be out for sure.

i have a question here :

Porto 5 2 2 1 6 7 8

Marseilles 5 2 1 2 6 5 7

Liverpool 5 2 1 2 14 5 7

Beşiktaş 5 2 0 3 4 13 6

There would be deep levels of embarrassment in Porto, Marseille and especially Liverpool.

FC Twente heeft concurrentie voor Ofoe

FC Twente heeft het oog laten vallen op de Belg Vadis Odjida Ofoe van Anderlecht. De achttienjarige verdediger staat al geruime tijd te boek als een groot talent bij de Brusselse topclub, maar krijgt amper speeltijd in het eerste elftal.

Dat is ook de reden dat hij twijfelt om zijn aan het einde van dit seizoen aflopende contract te verlengen. Volgens Belgische media heeft Ofoe afgelopen weekeinde al een bezoek aan Enschede gebracht en de wedstrijd FC Twente-AZ bekeken.

Trainer Fred Rutten wil alleen kwijt dat de speler bij Twente op de scoutingslijst staat. De Enschedeërs hebben bij het aantrekken van Ofoe, die slechts een opleidingsvergoeding hoeft te kosten, concurrentie van Hamburger SV en Standard Luik.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So nick, lets see where he goes ;)

Edited by Dutch_Habs_Fan

Liiiverpooool LIIIIIVERPOOOOL LIIIIIIIVEEERRRPOOOOOOOOL !!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Seriously, what a team they are ! What a comeback !

Draw away at Porto 1-1

Lost home vs Marseille 0-1

Lost away at Besiktas 1-2 (were in deep trouble then needed to win their 3 last of hope for some kind of luck)

Win home vs Besiktas 8-0 (biggest win of CL history)

Win home vs Porto 4-1

Win away at Marseille 4-0

Made it through next round : YAAAAAAA

Manchester United are the freakin best!!!!! :clap:

Tomorrow's game is pointless really.

Yea, just wanted to say that. ^_^

Watching meaningless games is no fun. I was hoping they were going to show Rangers-Lyon last night, but I got to see Roma-ManU instead. Bummer.

• 2 weeks later...

Champions league next series :

Schalke 04 (GER) - FC Porto (POR)

Liverpool (ENG) - Inter Milan (ITA)

AS Rome (ITA) - Real Madrid (ESP)

Olympiakos (GRE) - Chelsea (ENG)

(Tuesday february 19th and wednesday march 5th)

Arsenal (ENG) - AC Milan (ITA)

Celtic Glasgow (SCO) - FC Barcelone (ESP)

Fenerbahçe (TUR) - FC Séville (ESP)

Lyon (FRA) - Manchester United (ENG)

(Wednesday february 20th and tuesday march 4th)

GREAT series between Lyon and Man U, Arsenal-AC Milan, Liverpool-Inter Milan. Others are nice too, but Fenerbahçe - FC Séville...

• 1 month later...

So, Spurs were kinda busy before the transfer window closed last night.

THE DEPARTED

Jermain Defoe shipped off to Pompey. Too bad, I always liked the little guy. Feels like he did score quite a lot of goals despite not being in the starting line-up since Berbatov joined. Darren Bent had better start living up to the expectations real soon.

Fulham get another Yankie (well, almost) to go with all the others in Paul Stalteri. Stalteri was a pleasant surprise for me when he first joined Spurs. Not the best right back I've seen exactly but defensively sound and went on an occasional offensive raid. I will remember his winning 4-3 goal in the 96th minute at West Ham last season for as long as I shall live.

Anthony Gardner head off to Everton, which is a tad funny, since he was at fault when Everton scored the go-ahead goal in the game against Spurs in Tottenham's home opener at White Hart Lane this season. Gardner then tied the game on a header following a corner kick soon after, but Everton won the game 3-1. IMO Gardner can come in as a replacement when your best defenders are injured, but not much more. He can be good at times but not often enough to be a solid starter. He's been around at White Hart Lane for a long time, one of the real veterans of the current Spurs team, but I won't miss him that much to be honest.

Wayne Routledge probably left for Aston Villa for a good reason. He's been said to be very talented but I haven't seen him in the first team very often since Spurs acquired him. When he has played he has played as a right midfielder, and that's mainly Aaron Lennon's territory. Routledge was promising but it wasn't to be. Hopefully he'll do well with Villa - I think he deserves a real chance to show what he brings to the table. At Spurs other players always held better cards.

Lee Barnard apparently left for Southend United, and I don't know much about either Barnard or Southend, so there's not much to say there. I think I've only seen Barnard play in the PL once.

Calum Davenoprt is supposedly out on loan to Watford. That's a surprise - I thought Spurs had sold him to West Ham. :blink: Perhaps I've missed something or ESPN's made a mistake thinking he's still a Spur and not a Hammer.

Hossam Ghaly is out on a loan to Derby. Good riddance. I never liked the guy. Can't pass the ball to save his life. Hopefully Derby will make the move permanent after the season.

Phil Ifil, a young and promising defender, now off to Colchester.

David Button to Grays Athletic - never heard of the guy.

Ben Alnwick, reserve goalkeeper if I'm not mistaken, on a loan to Leicester.

THE NEW ARRIVALS

Chris Gunter, from Cardiff.

Gilberto, from Hertha Berlin.

Alan Hutton, from Rangers.

Jonathan Woodgate, from Boro.

Welcome to White Hart Lane, lads!

• 3 weeks later...

First knockout round

Schalke - Porto 1-0 2nd leg : 05/03

Roma - Real Madrid 2-1 2nd leg : 05/03

Olympiacos - Chelsea 0-0 2nd leg : 05/03

Liverpool - Internazionale 2-0 2nd leg : 11/03

Celtic - Barcelona 2-3 2nd leg : 04/03

Lyon - Man. United 1-1 2nd leg : 04/03

Fenerbahçe - Sevilla 3-2 2nd leg : 04/03

Arsenal - Milan 0-0 Rapport 2nd leg : 04/03

One thing that does make being a Spurs fan enjoyable is that when they are successful it's because they play an entertaining attacking style of football. Regardless of the opposition, they play best and get the best results when they keep playing an offensive game. Defending a lead just isn't their thing, and if my dad is right it never has been.

To tell you the thruth I wasn't very hopefull for today's game, so I actually did think twice before going over to my brother to watch the game. I obviously had no reason to regret going but it felt like a longshot at the time. Now the only regret I have is not bringing my DVR so I could record the game. It was a wonderful experience watching the game together with my brother and my dad (who's the original Spurs fan in the family).

Anyway, I think Spurs did the right thing and the only thing they could do: they tried their best to play their own game. And if I may say so I think they deserved the win. They started out very well and it was a good while before Chelsea even came close to the Spurs net in possession of the ball. What made me very nervous though was that Spurs didn't manage to capitalize on the chances they created and the (supposedly) weaker team rarely lasts when that is the case. So I wasn't really surprised when Chelsea's Drogba made it 1-0 on the third of three free kicks in quick succession.

Spurs never gave up though but instead continued to try to play their own game, and it paid off in the end. About halfway through the second half Tom Huddlestone had the ball inside the Chelsea penelty area and the ball bounced off Chelsea defender Wayne Bridge's hand. The linesman spotted the infraction and after a brief consultation the ref decided to award Spurs with a PK. Dimitar Berbatov was as cool as the proverbial cucumber when he waited to see which way Cech would dive and then put the ball in the opposite side of the goal. At that point I think Spurs more than deserveed the tie.

Maybe Chelsea's undoing was that they were too focused on defense. It's ususally easier to change from an attacking strategy to a defensive strategy than vice versa. Also, Chelsea's passing was close to horrendous, they constantly lost the ball in midfield. With about ten minutes left Didier Zokora intercepted one of many bad Chelsea passes and raced towards the Chelsea goal and slipped away from the Chelsea defense. One-on-one with Cech the ball bounced slightly for Zokora and his shot hit Cech square in the face, and Zokora put the rebound over the crossbar. How great would it not have been for Zokora to score his first ever goal for Spurs at that moment? Especially considering that he was the one who caused the free kick that Drogba scored on earlier.

Well, someone else won the game with his first ever Spurs goal after about 4 minutes of the first quarter of extra-time: Jonathan Woodgate. Spurs got a free kick which Jermaine Jenas (at least I htink it was him) lobbed into the Chelsea box. Woodgate was left all alone and touched the ball first. Cech however saved the header, but unfortunately for Chelsea he directed the ball right back into the head of Woodgate and the ball deflected into the Chelsea goal. Spurs were up 2-1.

For the remainder of extra-time Spurs couldn't manage to do anything more than defend themselves as Chelsea put an aweful lot of pressure on them. Joe Cole and Kalou (I think it was) came the closest but Paul Robinson stood his ground and Spurs won the game 2-1. It was a marvelous joy to watch the lillywhites climb the stairs at Wembley to claim the prize. Spurs will host Chelsea at White Hart Lane on Wednesday in the Premier League and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Chelsea wins that game 5-0 - but it also wouldn't bother me at all. The League Cup might not be the most prestigous title, but at least Spurs eliminated Arsenal 5-1 in the second semi-final and then beat the best team Chelsea has to win the final, and no one can take that away from them. It may not have been a perfect game from all Spurs players, but it was close enough and they were the better team and deserved the win. I can honestly say that I am pleased with the way that every Spurs player fought in this game.

It's gotta be a bit weird for Woodgate and Hutton, having been acquired by Spurs less than a month ago and win a title after hardly even a dozen games for Spurs between the two of them. I will also say that I love former coach Martin Jol for all that he has done for Tottenham but there can be no doubt that Juande Ramos is a welcome improvment in the coaching department. The last month Spurs have played very well against Man United, Arsenal and Chelsea, as well as advancing in the UEFA Cup (and by winning the League Cup thus qualified for next year's UEFA Cup if I am not incorrectly informed), so right now the future looks a lot brighter than it was in a while.

Just wait till Gareth Bale gets back. :B)

• 3 weeks later...