HW Soccer Fanatics

bombTHEice

Originally posted by HABS Fan Nr.1

Originally posted by jetsniper

Aw man, if I lived over there I would definitely be going. Canada needs to host the World Cup!

:lol:

I hope we get some tickets but it's such a stupid ticket ordering. Only via internet and then you only can get random picked tickets ... :puke: :nono:

I should better wait for 2008 when we've the Euro here in Austria/Suisse. *fg*

Yeah, I saw that when I was looking at World Cup stuff yesterday. They did the same thing for the Heritage Game a couple years ago. I didn't get picked.:(

It's sick with the ticketing. You have to order the tickets way in advance. Pay the price, also a big part of extra costs. When you don't get tickets, you get the money back from the ticketprice, but the extra costs you lose. So you have no tickets, and it costed you also. 15 dollar a ticket i believe!

Ahhh if only the World Cup was a month later I'd be able to attend some games, as I'll be in the Netherlands next July (late july till august sometime) ... It would have been a short trip to Germany.

That would have been quite the experience...

Originally posted by Dutch_Habs_Fan

NOOH!!

Oke i will hide!!

The usual American trip? Amsterdam-Weed-Windowshopping ;)

No, I've got family in Maastricht. I was there in the summer of 04. Not sure where I'll be going, probably some time in Italy (toscana region), and just staying around Maastricht, taking day trips to other places I havent seen yet.

.... yeah but you were right about the weed part :D

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

Tough draw for the US. They'll be lucky to get out of the group stage. Perhaps they should hope for draws against Italy and the Czech Republic and a win over Ghana.

Actually Ghana is a decent team as well.

Italy is very overrated. I can see them not making it out of the group phase again.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck
Originally posted by Fanpuck33

Tough draw for the US. They'll be lucky to get out of the group stage. Perhaps they should hope for draws against Italy and the Czech Republic and a win over Ghana.

Actually Ghana is a decent team as well.

Italy is very overrated. I can see them not making it out of the group phase again.

Well let's see the Czech republic lost in Holland 2-0 in World Cup qualifying while Italy goes to Holland and defeats them 3-1 in a friendly. As well, may I add Italy's reputation took a beating because they were eliminated in the first round in Euro 2004. However, if you look at the results, Italy was the only team not to lose a game in Euro 2004. The Czechs are way overrated and Pavel Nedved had to come out of retirement to lead the Czechs to the World Cup. Pavel Nedved is way past his prime. Just like Canada, Italy could field 2 World Cup teams and still be competitive. The problem with italy is that often they dont chooose the right players and the coaches are too conservative.

Viva Italia

Originally posted by Dutch_Habs_Fan

I don't have the intention to go! It's to expensive, i would rather go to the olympics and watch a hockey game.

I will follow it closely on the tv, and not in a pub again like i did against Portugal when we got eliminated, what a sucky game. It's to hard to follow normally in a pub. Give me my own screen, some friends. No problems to get something to eat and drink!! Go Holland

Looks like my Dutch friends have landed themselves in a tough group.

Of course, Spain is in the only very easy group and of course, they will underachieve. My bet is Spain finishes second in their division and gets knocked off in the first elimination round.

By the way, the new balls are pretty nice, eh?

Uh oh, Italian fan club in da house.

I love the logic "We didn't make it out the group phase but the Czechs did yet they're overrated"... PLEASE... In WC2006 qualfying Italy lost to Slovenia. Odd how that was not mentioned.

I love the spin on "Oh Italy didn't lose in 2004"... yet they only played 3 games, in a very easy group yet failed to advance. It's hilarous that someone could have the nerve to put a positive spin on that.

06 will be the same ol' for Italy. CHOKE CHOKE CHOKE. I hope they don't spit on the other players this time, or whine about the officals but what would a World CUp be without Italy making fools of themselves?

Uh oh, Italian fan club in da house.

I love the logic "We didn't make it out the group phase but the Czechs did yet they're overrated"... PLEASE... In WC2006 qualfying Italy lost to Slovenia. Odd how that was not mentioned.

I love the spin on "Oh Italy didn't lose in 2004"... yet they only played 3 games, in a very easy group yet failed to advance. It's hilarous that someone could have the nerve to put a positive spin on that.

06 will be the same ol' for Italy. CHOKE CHOKE CHOKE. I hope they don't spit on the other players this time, or whine about the officals but what would a World CUp be without Italy making fools of themselves?

Well since Italy won 3 World Cups and only Brazil has won more, I dont know where this choke nonsense comes from. The French choked when they lost to Senegal in 2002, The English choked when Gerrard passed it back to the goaltender with seconds left and France scored, the Portuguese choked twice against Greece. The facts are the facts Italy did not lose in Euro 2004. The Czechs did not even qualify for the World Cup within their own group. Italy did lose to Slovenia when they started adding new players and a new coach in 2004, but they didnt lose to Slovenia the following year in 2005 when their team was set. As for choking, Italy was eliminated from World Cup 1990. 1994, and 1998 because of penalty kicks. The eventual winner of all those World Cups was the team that eliminated Italy. And that team be it Argentina Brazil or France did not defeat Italy during the match. As we watch shootouts in the NHL, Im sure that proves who the better team is???

Anyways I still dont know which team your following or are you ashamed to mention them

[Edited on 2005/12/11 by Strummerman]

So who cares how many World Cups Italy has won?

Uruguay has 2. That's more then England, France, Holland, and the same amount as Argentina, are you suggesting that Uruguay is better then those nations?

You failed to mention 2000 Euros. If you think that wasn't a pure choke job than you're not a fan of football.

Who do I support? England. And I am sure you'll belittle them yet I could use the same argument you used. "They lost in alot of shootouts"...

But hey, England has been further then Italy in the last World Cup and Euro tourny so if you wanna talk about the present you have no argument.

[Edited on 2005/12/12 by Leafs Suck]

Originally posted by Strummerman
Originally posted by mathieug

Mama mia, gotta love Catanacio! Haha

Italy hasnt played the cattanchio in decades, and they have had the best strikers of the last decade including Baggio Zola Inzaghi Del Piero Vieri Tottti etc etc etc

A correction, Argentina lost to Germany in 1990.

So who cares how many World Cups Italy has won?

Uruguay has 2. That's more then England, France, Holland, and the same amount as Argentina, are you suggesting that Uruguay is better then those nations?

You failed to mention 2000 Euros. If you think that wasn't a pure choke job than you're not a fan of football.

Who do I support? England. And I am sure you'll belittle them yet I could use the same argument you used. "They lost in alot of shootouts"...

But hey, England has been further then Italy in the last World Cup and Euro tourny so if you wanna talk about the present you have no argument.

Well in Euro 2000, Italy did not choke, it was a great goal by France in the last minute of supplemental time. However, I doubt that much time should have been added on. A choke job was England against France in Euro 2004, where Gerrard passes it back to his goalie. That was an unforced error. There was no unforced error in the French goal against Italy. I guess you wanna forget Ronaldhino's goal againt England, or maybe forget England's goalies altogether..

You talk about the present, that ENglish team that played and lost in Euro 2004 will be virtually the same team as the one that will play in WC 2006. I have to admit England has good midfielders in Lampard Gerrard and Beckham. However, Rooney was an unknown quantity in Euro 2004 and as his goals come less and less in the Premier league, it is obvious he has been exposed as a wannabe. Owens is a first class striker. However, who plays in nets for England, and lets hope Rio Ferdinand doesnt defend.

As for Italy, they breed NEW strikers and look out for Toni and Gilardino and Cassano. The new Italy will be better than the New NHL.

Viva Italia

:king::king:

[Edited on 2005/12/12 by Strummerman]

Italy hasnt played the cattanchio in decades, and they have had the best strikers of the last decade including Baggio Zola Inzaghi Del Piero Vieri Tottti etc etc etc

Hu? Oh, OK. Did you see Euro 2004, only 1 year ago? Or Euro 2000? No catanacio?

They scored 2 goals every game in the preliminary round in Euro 2000, led by the likes of Totti Montella Del Piero Inzaghi. Wow they played cattanachio type football against Holland who was the home team and when the Italian was red carded in the first 15 minutes of the game. What did you expect all out offence when your playing with a man less the whole game. Sheesh. As for Euro 2004, they lost their best passer in the first game in Totti due to the Danish phobia of having a camera film only Totti the whole game. As well they had Vieri who must have hit 20 posts during those games. Italy did not play defensive soccer in that tournament and to repeat they did not lose a match either unlike every other team in the tournament.

Damn Holland lost in 2000 to Catanacio. The Italian didnt even get 5 shots on the boards. Only defending. We hit everything, the post. Missed a penalty. And @ the end they win with the shootout at the end. Ok maybe deserved cuz we didnt score on those many opportunities. But it was hell of a Catanacio. Im still sick of it, we were the best team around at the time.

Just an example, but they still play catanacio. Sometimes not so obvious anymore cuz they have great midvielders and attackers. It's neven been a pleasure watching the Italian play...

Did you say Totti was the victim cuz there was a camera on him the whole game. Thats the world upside down. Why would there be a camera on him, maybe he should behave once in a while. If he didnt do a thing nothing would have happened. Spitting someone else, thats animalbehaviour, and those idiottackels, he's nuts!

He's a great soccerplayer, but recently it's been a disgrace. I once liked him, my favo italian player, but thats been a long time ago

Gimme Pirlo, the guy is a master on the midfield..

Well in Euro 2000, Italy did not choke, it was a great goal by France in the last minute of supplemental time. However, I doubt that much time should have been added on. A choke job was England against France in Euro 2004, where Gerrard passes it back to his goalie. That was an unforced error. There was no unforced error in the French goal against Italy. I guess you wanna forget Ronaldhino's goal againt England, or maybe forget England's goalies altogether..

2000 was a pure choke job, justify it all you want. Having the lead until the 90th minute then blowing it and losing it in extra-time. And yes England's game against France was a choke, considering Beckham was stopped by Berthez on a penalty 10 minutes earlier. You can keep your Italian blinders on if you want, but if you think that was a choke job and Italy 2000 wasn't then you're obviously misguided.

BTW I could use the argument that Zidane's tying goal was a beauty so it wasn't a choke job, alla your excuse for Italy... but I won't.

And besides, that was in the first game of the tourny. I would rather blow a lead like that in Game 1 and re-group in Game 2 then blow it in the Finals. What an embarrassment that was.

Also found it interesting how England got out of there group stage in 2004, and Italy didn't. And that England made it to the Final 8 in 2002 while Italy didn't.

You talk about the present, that ENglish team that played and lost in Euro 2004 will be virtually the same team as the one that will play in WC 2006. I have to admit England has good midfielders in Lampard Gerrard and Beckham. However, Rooney was an unknown quantity in Euro 2004 and as his goals come less and less in the Premier league, it is obvious he has been exposed as a wannabe. Owens is a first class striker. However, who plays in nets for England, and lets hope Rio Ferdinand doesnt defend.

Rooney was injuried in the game against Portugal. I am sure his penalty would have helped. Not to mentioned the fact England had scored in the 90th minute but the Swiss offical called it back claiming the goal was interfered with. If you look at it, it was his own defender interfering with him not the English player. But of course that's no excuse... well it is if your country is shaped like a boot.

As for Italy, they breed NEW strikers and look out for Toni and Gilardino and Cassano. The new Italy will be better than the New NHL.

And much like the "new NHL", nothing much has changed and the Italy of old, all the whining, diving, spitting, will come back to haunt them.

Besides, Italy's not even ranked in the top 10 in the world.

They scored 2 goals every game in the preliminary round in Euro 2000, led by the likes of Totti Montella Del Piero Inzaghi. Wow they played cattanachio type football against Holland who was the home team and when the Italian was red carded in the first 15 minutes of the game. What did you expect all out offence when your playing with a man less the whole game. Sheesh. As for Euro 2004, they lost their best passer in the first game in Totti due to the Danish phobia of having a camera film only Totti the whole game. As well they had Vieri who must have hit 20 posts during those games. Italy did not play defensive soccer in that tournament and to repeat they did not lose a match either unlike every other team in the tournament.

OK, you can play catanacio and easily score 2, 3 or 3+ goals. Goals scored isn't much of an indication of the system they play. While playing that ugly catanacio you counter attack. With a little luck you can score 4 goals on only 4 counter attacks. If you have the offensive talent. And yes, squadra azurri has some talent. Too bad Italia doesn't play as a team. As for Totti, that kind of behavior doesn't belong on a soccer pitch.

Yech! Italians and Brits! My 2 least favourite national teams. Both of them are very overrated IMO (and Rooney is vicious).

I have ties to Spain and if you want an unlucky team look no further then them. They've been handcuffed by bad officiating all through the recent past.

My #1 team is the Netherlands of course. My lowland friends will win this year, you'll see.