HW Soccer Fanatics

bombTHEice

Can't wait for the game. This time, if Liverpool goes down 3-0 in the first half, I'm not gonna give up and start watching. I thought my buddy was joking when he IMed me to ask how thrilled I was that Liverpool and pulled to within a goal, and by the time I got back to the TV it was already 3-0.

Hey Dutchie! Is Seedorf only 31 years old? I thought he was like 35-36. Feels like he's been around forever.

Wow, I had no idea. Even I am older than he is. :blink: (Though only a month and a half older.)

BTW, Milan did so not deserve that lead. Liverpool has clearly been the better team in the first half.

I think there was some funny stuff going on at the end of that game that makes me think that there was corruption. First of all we all know of the problems in the Serie A last season with all the teams, wasn't AC Milan banned from this tournament before being let back in.

Second there was a point near the end of the game when a Liverpool player (can't remember who) was trying to get on the field but the ref would not allow the subsitiution for approx. 5 mins. There were a lot of shady calls near the end of the game against Liverpool.

I have no idea how there were only 3 mins given in a Cup Final for stoppage time. There were 2 goals, a number of cards/subsitutions and injuries and only 3 mins. And then the ref blew the whistle before 3 mins was even up? I have not seen that happen in a very long time.

Anyways, I just thought there was something funny going on with the reffing near the end of that game. I'm not a fan of either team but I do watch a lot of soccer and I thought something seemed a little off. Especially with all the match fixing scandal stuff that was going on in Italy last summer.

Hmm. A bit disappointing I must say. There is no question Milan was the superior team in the semifinals, but they got lucky in the final. I think Liverpool played better than Milan and several Milan players made several individual mistakes. The problem was Liverpool didn't create any real hot scoring chances. So maybe in a sense the right team won. Not the best team of the day, but the best team throughout the duration of the tournament.

I'm also very sorry to have to say this but watching this game only reinforces my opinion that the soccer community needs to think about changing the time-keeping. How the ref could come up with only three added minutes is beyond me. I've seen scores of games this season with less delay and more added on minutes. There were a couple of situations when players went down, Milan's celebrations after the second goal took forever, there were six substitutions and to top if all off there was a deranged possibly fat-lipped Greek who ran onto the pitch. Maybe it's time for soccer to start stopping the clock when the ball is out of play...

Milan did so not deserve that lead. Liverpool has clearly been the better team in the first half.

Agree 100%.

Have to say that that second goal from Pipo was pretty good.

You'll Never Walk Aloooooone ! Liiiiverpoooool, LIIIIIVEEERPOOOOOOL!

You'll never walk alone..

Hey Dutchie! Is Seedorf only 31 years old? I thought he was like 35-36. Feels like he's been around forever.

Yup, he was one of the youngest players in Ajax 1. Maybe the youngest, dont know for sure, so thats since 16 year. Go figure!! I think he went away around his 20's so yeah thats a very long time already in international soccer.

edit: looked it up-he's the youngest alltime in Ajax

About the game, Liverpool was the better team, but not good enough. No huge chances, and if you attack without creating much opportunities against italian teams you go down. They dont need much, and thats how it went. I think Gerrard played one of his worst matches. Very sloppy (like a lot of players) Passes didnt go well, interceptions were bad. Ball control was awefull. Nerves? Dont think so, they have been there before...

Edited by Dutch_Habs_Fan

Really? I thought Gerrard was the best man on the pitch, at least in the first half.

Gerrard played ok but I think he made a lot of bad passes throughout the entire game.

No, that was Maldini :P

;)

Gerrard missed a real nice chance, but both sides made bad plays all game long. Milan was just more lucky than Liverpool. seriously, what an ugly 1rst goal!!

Really? I thought Gerrard was the best man on the pitch, at least in the first half.

You did, hmm oke. Well i noticed some bad plays. A couple of times he played a bad pass and sloppy ball control and that stayed in my mind. Well i had in mind how good he can be, and i think he didnt reach to that level.

I felt Gerrard played a pretty poor game. There were times when he tried to do too much, like driving in for a poor shot when he had a man open down the wing to send in a cross. As the announcers on Fifa 06 like to say, "his ball was not at all handsome" that game.

I thought it was a very poorly managed game by Rafa Benitez. First of all, why is Crouch suddenly riding the pine? He's the second leading goal scorer in the CL this season, why did he play only 10 minutes? Especially when you're starting Gerrard out of position in place of Crouch at striker. That didn't make any sense at all. I also didn't like bringing it Harry Kewell. The man has hardly played this season and he brought nothing better than Zenden. I would have rather seen then sub in a defender and shift Riise up to Zenden's spot. I really think they should have started Crouch, and at the very least subbed him in for Mascherano at the half and shift Gerrard back to his natural midfield position. They needed offense.

Yeah i agree with you on most of it, Kuyt needed a striker next to him, not a midfielder. Kuyt isnt the best striker making goals, but he works damn hard and make others play better. If you put a striker next to him, they will find the net more. They use to play @ Feyenoord that way. Kalou was the finisher (and Kuyt finished more to)

Kuyt isnt the best striker making goals, but he works damn hard and make others play better.

Do you know what energy drink Kuyt's drinking? I need to get some of that.

Yeah i agree with you on most of it, Kuyt needed a striker next to him, not a midfielder. Kuyt isnt the best striker making goals, but he works damn hard and make others play better.

That's the same way I felt about Milan Baros while he was with Liverpool. Didn't put up the best numbers, but he worked damn hard and the team won.

*sigh*

we just lost the cup final 1-0,

one of the worst games we played all season.

Our midfield was nowhere..

Zut.

Now only if we can keep Sérgio Conceição for next year.

Firstly, a great victory for Milan and a step in the right direction for the credibility of Italian football after a tough year. FORZA MILANO!!!

Secondly, while Milan may not have deserved the lead based on the flow of play, their one goal lead at half time showed you have to bury your chances against a quality side. Milan had one quality chance in that half and, partly luckily, they made it count. That's what champion teams do.

Benitez definitely made a mistake leaving Crouch on the bench, whether beside Kuyt or instead of will always be a point of contention. Liverpool's tactics for the first half were very defensive and played in a very Italian counter-attacking style, IMO. It just didn't look like they wanted to come out and win. Don't know what Milan looked like (crap in the first half, that's for sure) but they stuck to the formula that had served them so well throughout the campaign and it was always going to be a matter of patience.

So said, Gerrard played quite a dominant game but was trying to do too much by himself (can you hear me, Christiano Ronaldo?), at times trying to produce 'cute' (read: highlight) football. Jamie Pennant though - how I would love this kid over at Spurs. Great work ethic and oodles of skill. He's going to be a great player...

Unreal. Surreal. Outragous. A ######ing travesty.

That's right, I'm talking about the game between Denmark and Sweden.

What happened is Sweden were ahead 3-0 after 25 minutes. Denmark scored shortly after, and I think this was a crucial goal for Denmark. Instead of going into the half-time break being down 3-0 they were only down 3-1 and had something to build on.

About halfway through the second the Danes reduce the Swedish lead to 3-2 and with about 15 minutes left they tie it 3-3. After that they had a couple of great chances to get ahead, but Swedish GK Isaksson made a couple of good saves. Then in like the 88th minute, after conferring with the linesman, the ref gives Danish defender Poulsen a red card for punching Swedish forward Rosenberg inside the Danish penelty area. A Danish "fan" then runs onto the pitch and takes a swing at the ref. Danish players stop the guy and he runs and jumps back into the stands. The ref has a brief talk with his linesman and the 4th referee and they abandon the game.

I heard a Danish newspaper put up wanted signs for the "fan" on their website, instructing their readers to write in if they know who the guy is.

And BTW, it does suck to win a game like this. And while I probably would have liked it better if they had actually finished the game, I can totally sympathize with the ref. The "fan" was allowed to run onto the pitch without as much as a Hail Mary attempt to stop him from the security guards. And after all players and match officials had vacated the pitch, more people were allowed to run onto the pitch. Chances are this is going to cost the Danes a lot. There's going to be Hell to pay.