What do you look for in a draftee?

zumpano21

Drafting is a difficult process. Mostly because we don’t have a good measure for all the variables that go into making a good hockey player. That is, a + b multiplied by c, less factor d  equals success.

We probably don’t even know what all the variables are!

That being said, what trait would you look for in a hockey player that gives him the edge. Maybe it’s something that is widely discussed already,

maybe not.

For me, it’s grit or resilience. The ability to get knocked down, shit on, pounded mercilessly and still get up and compete like nothing happened. The ability to shrug it off and keep chugging.

Here’s looking at you Gallagher.

Skill, speed and  hockey IQ are the three must have variables. McCarron is an example of a guy being drafted for grit.  No thanks.

1 hour ago, zumpano21 said:

McCarron was a size grab wasn’t he?

size and grit.  they didn't draft him to be the friendly giant.  too bad they didn't consider skill, speed and hockey IQ

Growing up there was a habs book I loved - speed and style the Montreal Canadiens.  Now it’s grunts, grit and character being emphasized by management. And definition of character is robotically towing the company line.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Growing up there was a habs book I loved - speed and style the Montreal Canadiens.  Now it’s grunts, grit and character being emphasized by management. And definition of character is robotically towing the company line.

Suzuki, Tatar, Drouin arnt and doesnt apply to team's best player neither.

So your grunts (with grit and character?)  are Domi, Gallagher, Armia, Lehkonen & Danault and they robotically tow the company line how?

17 hours ago, Commandant said:

Hockey iq, vision

Skating

Puck skills

Shot

In that order for me.

That's the same for me....heck, that's pretty much my criteria at the youth hockey level. 

3 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

No more braincramps like Galchenyuk

Who didnt like that pick at the time..no one. Putting up 2pts/game in junior, not bad. 

3 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

No more braincramps like kostitsyn.

Wasnt at the time, he 'fell' to 10 due to siezures, which were never an issue after and he had a solid rookie year.

On 3/5/2020 at 8:39 PM, DON said:

Who didnt like that pick at the time..no one. Putting up 2pts/game in junior, not bad. 

Wasnt at the time, he 'fell' to 10 due to siezures, which were never an issue after and he had a solid rookie year.

ALL OF J.carter D.brown B.seabrook Z.parise R.getzlaf B.burns R.kesler C.perry  WERE literally drafted right after kostitsyn. Pretty sure that was a missed opportunity no matter how you spin it (of course in hindsight)

In fact, we actually had some pretty big misses that year!

urquhart in the 2nd when we could of grabbed bergeron crawford or weber for that matter... Lapierre when backes went literally right after.

thats a really bad draft to bring up. imagine we drafted anyone of those guys instead.

I get it hindsight is exactly that! However,  missing on all those Canadien boys minus kesler is something we should not even think to justify in Kostitsyn.

On 3/4/2020 at 4:39 PM, Commandant said:

Hockey iq, vision

Skating

Puck skills

Shot

In that order for me.

I would put grit before shot. A guy can improve his shot with a lot of practice. Generally a guy either has grit (ie. compete level) or he doesn't.  Skating ability would be #1 on my list. If you can't get there then a lot of the other stuff doesn't matter. 

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I get it hindsight is exactly that! However,  missing on all those Canadien boys minus kesler is something we should not even think to justify in Kostitsyn.

There were zero calls that was a braincramp and was far from that. A McCarron, or McIlrath-type were braincramps. A Yakupov, who was unanimous #1 pick, wasnt a braincramp because it didnt work out.

But, if you want to bitch about draft picks from 10-15 years ago, fly at er.

How bout that Wickenheiser pick instead of Coffey, or Savard eh! Dummies eh.

11 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

ALL OF J.carter D.brown B.seabrook Z.parise R.getzlaf B.burns R.kesler C.perry  WERE literally drafted right after kostitsyn. Pretty sure that was a missed opportunity no matter how you spin it (of course in hindsight)

Sure, yes, hindsight games are fun and easy.

Columbus picked fourth overall and took Zherdev, missing out on Vanek, Suter, Phaeuf, Carter, Brown, Seabrook, Parise, Getzlaf, Burns, Kesler and Perry.

Rangers picked 12th overall and took Jessiman, missing out on Brown, Seabrook, Parise, Getzlaf, Burns, Kesler and Perry.

Islanders picked 15th overall and took Nilsson, missing out on Parise, Getzlaf, Burns, Kesler and Perry.

San Jose picked 16th overall and took Bernier, missing out on Parise, Getzlaf, Burns, Kesler and Perry.

If Parise, Getzlaf, Burns, Kesler and Perry were such obviously better picks, why did those other teams miss them, too? (And, yes, Kostitsyn looks elite now compared to Jessiman ...)

• Upvote 2