Mar. 5, Habs vs Lightning, 7 PM

dlbalr

That was a decent power play in terms of puck movement late in the period.  It didn't lead to a goal but it actually resembled a power play.

Weber getting taken down to the ice in a fight with Sergachev over a play that didn't look like it warranted much intervention (it looked like he gave Armia a little shot after the horn, a play that happens many times after a whistle without any reaction) just about sums up how this one has gone so far.

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Weber getting taken down to the ice in a fight with Sergachev over a play that didn't look like it warranted much intervention (it looked like he gave Armia a little shot after the horn, a play that happens many times after a whistle without any reaction) just about sums up how this one has gone so far.

He puts up points, is big and strong enough to handle Weber....and we got DROUIN for him.  🤮   (and THAT is Marc's fault)

4 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

He puts up points, is big and strong enough to handle Weber....and we got DROUIN for him.  🤮   (and THAT is Marc's fault)

Don’t let commandant see your post! 

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Don’t let commandant see your post! 

Drouin for Sergachev looks terrible, and I can't imagine how anyone could argue that at this point.  You have a 2nd pair dman with (realistic) top pair potential traded for a 3rd line inconsistent oft-injured winger.  How is that not a loss?

39 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Everyone knows?

I always thought the ask for pacioretty was NHL forward, prospect and pick.  

Never once heard that Bergevin was forced to take him.

And yes, Vegas was more than willing to give him up, but getting a winger who could play in the top 9 was part of the deal.

Wow I am now convinced that you are part of Bergevin family.

20 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Drouin for Sergachev looks terrible, and I can't imagine how anyone could argue that at this point.  You have a 2nd pair dman with (realistic) top pair potential traded for a 3rd line inconsistent oft-injured winger.  How is that not a loss?

It looked terrible the second the trade was made - just like the Alzner signing did.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DON said:

I have just seen the 1st period..Weise must have 6 horrible passes already.

I'd love to be able to tell you that it's going to get better....but I'd be lying.

A task I had to do at a job was watching educational videos on civil engineering from the 80's and making sure the captions lined up with the audio.

That was more exciting and less painful than watching this game.

Surprisingly this was the first game that we got shutout all season (technically we got shutout twice in preseason). Getting to game 69 is actually a pretty good feat.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Habsfan84 said:

Surprisingly this was the first game that we got shutout all season (technically we got shutout twice in preseason). Getting to game 69 is actually a pretty good feat.

NiCE

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

That was a decent power play in terms of puck movement late in the period.  It didn't lead to a goal but it actually resembled a power play.

In Weber's defense, he took himself down by throwing what would have been, a decapitating haymaker straight out of Super Smash Bros, that narrowly missed. 

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

A task I had to do at a job was watching educational videos on civil engineering from the 80's and making sure the captions lined up with the audio.

That was more exciting and less painful than watching this game.

I am a watch-at-least 75 regular season Hab games a year kind of guy no matter what. I had this one on record and once it hit 2-0 I gave up and looked up the final score. I was glad I made the right decision 

#TeamTank had a pretty good night with the teams directly ahead of the Habs all gaining ground, and Chicago climbing to within a point (with 2 games in hand.) The Hawks will be looking to push the Habs down to 8th-last Friday night when they take on Detroit. 

Buffalo is just a sad sack tho, wow. 5 straight losses. The only part about tanking they haven't mastered is ending it. The Habs' best hope for 7th-last might be a surge from the Devils.

On Friday we cheer for the Devils to beat the Blues, Chicago to beat Detroit, Winnipeg to beat Vegas, Arizona to beat Calgary, Vancouver to beat Colorado, and Anaheim to beat Toronto (not because it matters much in the standings, but because we almost always cheer for Toronto to lose... we might be #TeamTank, but some things are sacred.)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Link67 said:

In Weber's defense, he took himself down by throwing what would have been, a decapitating haymaker straight out of Super Smash Bros, that narrowly missed. 

Sort of glad that didn't connect. I like fighting but that swing was crazy. 

11 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Wow same team as last year and same  amount of pts this year after 69 games. Didn't see that coming 😜

They had 79 points in 69 games last year.

71 this year 

So your math is a little off.

12 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Wow same team as last year and same  amount of pts this year after 69 games. Didn't see that coming 😜

I thought you meant Toronto but they are worse this year:

2019-2020 68 games (35-24-9, 79pts)

2018-2019 68 games (42-21-5, 89pts) 

Actually CH is: 31-29-9, 71 pts compared to last year's 36-26-7, 79 points

It is surprising to see how close they are to last year's point total despite all the woes, injuries and elite-depleted roster.

12 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Yeah all the stat guys said by just adding kinkaid Bergevin improved the team and we should be a playoff team. I just wanted to show stats mean 💩.

I think everyone has said that Kinkaid didn't work. 

I think almost everyone has agreed we need to get a real backup goalie. 

Nothing is 100% guaranteed, but the stats remain a valuable tool in deciding on free agents, trades and draft picks... which is why 100% of NHL teams have an analytics dept today.  Just because you can find one example where the player disappointed despite the stats, doesn't mean that they should never be used and that they mean shit.  

Look at it this way, if there is a car accident, and someone dies even though they are wearing a seatbelt... we don't say, oh seatbelts mean shit, we should never use them again.  We realize that things can be good and helpful, but that doesn't mean they work 100% of the time. And we don't use one instance where it didn't work to throw them out. 

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Yeah all the stat guys said by just adding kinkaid Bergevin improved the team and we should be a playoff team. I just wanted to show stats mean 💩.

0.891% Kincaid of 18-19 was supposed to make a big difference? Who said that?

I think most said we pray he reverts to the 17-18 version of himself and not last year's Kincaid.

Stats mean shit, that is a pretty idiotic statement isn't it.