Greatest Rock Bands Ever

Quebecois

Saw this on HF boards, thought we could try an HW version. One we determine the number 1 band, we go on down the line until we come up with a top 25 list of the greatest bands ever.

Post one band that you would like to see added to the poll and one that you would like to see eliminated from the poll once you have voted.

Hopefully i havent missed anyone who could content for number 1.

But I don't think they're the greatest band ever. Just a strong candidate for the greatest song ever (Stairway to Heaven) and a bunch of other sick songs.

I probably prefer the Stones just because of Paint it Black. Aerosmith has no right to be up there. Replace them with Coldplay (better than U2) or Van Halen, Van Morrison, The BeeGees, Frankie Valley and the Four Seasons, etc, etc , etc...

Too many good bands to choose from.

U2 was the first rock band that got me out of country music. My mom always had it on when I was little so that's all I thought existed. Then I heard Mysterious Ways when I was 4 and it's been rock ever since. I like some of Led Zeppelins songs more then U2 but I give U2 the nod.

And Coldplay is terrible.

The Beatles

Of that limited list, it's the Beatles for obvious reasons - creativity, vitality and influence on the things that followed.

My favourite band, though, is an obscure group called MICHAEL ROE, 77s, SEVENTY SEVENS, SEVEN AND SEVEN IS (all variations of the same thing - Roe is the head of all of them). :/) :/) :/)

Others that I enjoy a lot are:

OVER THE RHINE, :/)

MIKE KNOTT/LSU/LIFESAVORS/LIFESAVORS UNDERGROUND (variations of the same thing - Knott is the head of all of them), :/)

DANIEL AMOS/DA/Dä/THE SWIRLING EDDIES/TERRY TAYLOR/TERRY SCOTT TAYLOR (again, variations of the same thing - Taylor is the head of all of them), :/)

THE LOST DOGS, :/) and

KINGS X. :/)

Have you heard of any of them? Not likely - check www.allmusic.com if you're interested.

Originally posted by jetsniper

And Coldplay is terrible.

How can you say that? They're arguably the best modern band and indisputably in the top 2 with U2. I have both new CDs and I prefer Coldplay's. It's just not as rock-ish as U2s but they're like The Who in a way.

<i>How can you say that? They're arguably the best modern band and indisputably in the top 2 with U2. I have both new CDs and I prefer Coldplay's. It's just not as rock-ish as U2s but they're like The Who in a way. </i>

Coldplay is like the Who? Can you explain to me how because i dont see that at all.

I voted for Zep, i just don't think anyone else comes close to them, it's just song after killer song and i never ever find mind myself getting bored of their music even though i listen to them all the time.

I vote to remove Aerosmith, i was kind of out of ideas as to who to add by the time i got down to them.

I'll say that Cream should be added to the poll.

personnaly I voted for The Beatles. They're just in a class of their own and their contribution to music surpasses any other band's.

I just can't believe nobody mentionned f'n Black Sabbath yet. Led Zep might have invented metal, but Sabbath made it heavy!

I dont get Coldplay either. I prefer Radiohead by a mile.

But my favorite band is probably System of a Down. Heavy, melodic, engaged, not sell-outs. That's the true rock spirit. I'm pretty sure in 10 years from now, if they keep on their current path, they'll be considered one of the best bands of this era if not ever.

Might be showin' my age, but where the hell is Rush?? Prob the best prog rock trio of all time. Even Rutsey was a good drummer before Peart joined the band and changed them (obviously) for the better. even groups like Genesis (when PG was lead singer...they were considered art-prog rock in the early 70s) makes way as a masterful super-group.

I'd remove Aerosmith, AC/DC, Doors (trip band...not a "great" rock band), Floyd (acid bank, even though they're one of my faves), Zep (over-hyped as the "greatest" rock band ever...BLEAH!!!!!!!), and to be honest I never much cared for the Beatles...the precursor to the "boy band" although much more skilled.

Queen...(Freddy Mercury had an amazing voice, and Brian May a very good guitarist), the Stones (great songwriters), the Who (Townshend a great showman and Moon the craziest percussionist to live..and die) are the best of the rest. Personally, as is obvious, I'm a Rush fan...awesome bass, guitar, and percussion. Haven't seen a better live show yet.

[Edited on 2005/8/29 by huzer]

I just find Coldplay to be an immensely boring band. They just seem to be Radiohead, The Verve and Blur rolled into one. Just another "artsy" band that uses the same beats for every song that people somehow perceive as "creative genious". One of the most overrated bands ever that don't deserve half the hype they get. But thats just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

True, why hasn't anyone mentioned Black Sabbath?

Rush is great, they played one of their albums (1 side) on Chom the other day. Great music to listen to while painting... heh.

Originally posted by ap79

I just can't believe nobody mentionned f'n Black Sabbath yet. Led Zep might have invented metal, but Sabbath made it heavy!  

I dont get Coldplay either. I prefer Radiohead by a mile.

absolutely! I love Black Sabbath, Zep did not invent heavy metal, you could make an argument for steppenwolf, but I IMO Sabbath is the first.

I gotta admit I just about fall asleep if someone plays coldplay.

Fantastic bands not on the list: Black Sabbath, prince, radiohead, midnight oil, springsteen, grateful dead, (if you want a good heavy metal band) Iron Maiden.

[Edited on 8/29/2005 by simonus]

None of you like Coldplay? True Paranoid Android and the rest of Radiohead are great but Coldplay has consistently great songs. They never make a bad song.

And they're not boring. It's just slow music.

And how about the Goo Goo Dolls (not the best band of all time but I prefer them to a lot of the mentioned ones)?

And System of a DOwn kicks ass along sides the White Stripes!!!:-^

meh, SS isn't one of my favourite bands but FF is.

A few more possible top ten candidates:

The Cure

Sly and the Family Stone

The Temptations

The Velvet Underground

REM

Creedence Clearwater Revival

The Band

<i>Might be showin' my age, but where the hell is Rush?? </i>

Yeah Rush was a pretty big ommision, Aerosmith really shouldnt be on there, as there are many bands im thinking of now that are much better. After that its pretty tough to get rid of anyone though. Possibly the Doors or U2 but thats pretty dicey. 10 options really isnt enough.

Anyways if theres interest i still would like to do a full top 25, with a new poll every once in a while. We need more votes on there than what we have so far though. Hard to base much on the 10-15 votes that have been submitted.

Offcourse the Beatles is the best band EVER!! (but a rock band??:?-)

Hannes, i'm dissapointed in you ;)

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

None of you like Coldplay?  

I love coldplay, recently saw there show, Brilliant!!

BTW i'm a big CCR(creedance) fan also, you got some taste :/)

[Edited on 2005/8/31 by Dutch_Habs_Fan]

@Dutchie: Beatles aren't Rock for me either, that's why the Stones are my fav. Rock band ... :P

The Beatles have their own level, they're simply brilliant. Great that my parents have all the LP's of both groups ... my dad being the Stones super fan, my mother the Beatles super fan. My dauthers and sons have to listen to this too ... :D