Cole Caufield, Will he be & Should he be signed this year??

DON

Crickets time...got any strong opinions on whether Caufield will be signed anytime now by Bergevin and should he be signed, or should he spend another year in Wisconsin?

Galchenyuk earned his spot, same as Kotka.

Same as Gallagher and Mete

having the option to demote them and the courage to act on it show good decision making and maturity 

• Upvote 1

He wants to sign and the Habs don't want him to so it will be interesting to see who wins that particular 'battle'.  I want him to stay at Wisconsin where he'll now even be a bigger part of their attack with Turcotte gone.  The idea of having a 5'7 guy playing pro at 19 doesn't seem the most appealing even if it's in Laval.

42 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He wants to sign and the Habs don't want him to so it will be interesting to see who wins that particular 'battle'.  I want him to stay at Wisconsin where he'll now even be a bigger part of their attack with Turcotte gone.  The idea of having a 5'7 guy playing pro at 19 doesn't seem the most appealing even if it's in Laval.

100% agree. If it’s a junior player and he’s not ready that send him back to junior. Big diff is that they already sign the contract- which isn’t an option with USA college players. Habs should be firm and say wait another year.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Do you think is more or less likely that Bergevin will sign him this year (tomorrow)?

36 minutes ago, DON said:

Do you think is more or less likely that Bergevin will sign him this year (tomorrow)?

I've been wrong on a lot of predictions lately but I think they sell him on one more year with the agreement that he'll sign after his college season ends next year where he'd actually burn the first year of his contract in the process.  The Habs get the less intensive schedule for him while he burns a cheap year without accruing a season towards UFA status. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I think Bergevin will sign him, cause its hard to hold the kid out.  You dont want to piss off the college kids and eventually see them go UFA.

I think he ends up in Laval next year.

You think an agent (if NCAA guys can have one? or family advisor is it?) hints to Bergevin that if Caufield waits till end of 2nd year...he might as well wait 2 more and become free-agent then pick-choose where to go.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I've been wrong on a lot of predictions lately but I think they sell him on one more year with the agreement that he'll sign after his college season ends next year where he'd actually burn the first year of his contract in the process.  The Habs get the less intensive schedule for him while he burns a cheap year without accruing a season towards UFA status. 

I like this option...fair for both parties, and in the best interest of player development.

1 hour ago, DON said:

You think an agent (if NCAA guys can have one? or family advisor is it?) hints to Bergevin that if Caufield waits till end of 2nd year...he might as well wait 2 more and become free-agent then pick-choose where to go.

Its always part of the background info on any NCAA player, said or unsaid.  It has to be. 

2 hours ago, DON said:

Caufield just doesn't seem like the kind of guy who wants to spend 4 years at university. He seems focused only on hockey. I think there is almost zero chance he spends 4 years at Wisconsin. Hopefully just 1 more.