Prospect camp

montreal

Goalies will be Price, Halak and Lacasse

Defense will be all tryout players except Dulac-Lemelin. Andre Benoit, Sebastien Bisaillon, Nic Marcotte, Kevin Lavallee, Aaron Dawson, James Sanford.

Forwards are, Chipchura, Latendresse, Mikus, S. Kostitsyn, G. Stewart, Lambert, Urquhart, Bonneau, Aubin, D'Agostini, Francis Lemieux, Dom Deblois and Jaime Tardif.

I've heard that Benoit and Lemieux have already been signed by Hamilton.

Bisaillon and Tardif are guys I hope we end up siging. Bisaillon is an offensive D and Tardif is a solid all around player. Dawson would be a good pickup, big kid that is solid in his own end. Marcotte and Deblois I'm not to familiar with. I fully expect us to take a hard look at these defensemen since Hamilton has only Archer, Cote and Sanford, with one or two more from the Oilers plus likely Benoit we could use at least one more guy for depth and perhaps another guy to send to Long Beach since depth can't hurt.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've been reading, Chipchura is mature physically, and plays a style well suited to pro hockey...could he be the first Habs prospect since Corson to make the jump directly from major junior?

Dominic Deblois is the son of former Habs winger Lucien Deblois. Good bloodline, at least as far as strenght is concerned. Deblois is stocky, not an exceptionnal offensive player but decent all-around.

Nicolas Marcotte is a physical D who played all his junior in Chicoutimi. Didnt had great stats until last year when he racked up over 60 pts and over 100 PIMs.

Francis Lemieux was a Marcotte teammate with Chicoutimi. A center on the smallish side. Racked up 80+ pts last season.

Kevin Lavallée, I think, was in that hockey show during the lock-out where they'd give a chance to "amateurs" to get invited to a NHL training camp.

Benoit racked up some interesting numbers for a defenseman in the OHL. Wonder why he was undrafted. Glad to see the Habs take a chance on him, something decent could come out of this.

Personnaly I'm a little worried about the Habs' thin prospect pool at defense. Most of the d-men at prospect camps in the past years have been invitees.

Originally posted by ap79

Dominic Deblois is the son of former Habs winger Lucien Deblois. Good bloodline, at least as far as strenght is concerned. Deblois is stocky, not an exceptionnal offensive player but decent all-around.

Nicolas Marcotte is a physical D who played all his junior in Chicoutimi. Didnt had great stats until last year when he racked up over 60 pts and over 100 PIMs.

Francis Lemieux was a Marcotte teammate with Chicoutimi. A center on the smallish side. Racked up 80+ pts last season.

Kevin Lavallée, I think, was in that hockey show during the lock-out where they'd give a chance to "amateurs" to get invited to a NHL training camp.  

Benoit racked up some interesting numbers for a defenseman in the OHL. Wonder why he was undrafted. Glad to see the Habs take a chance on him, something decent could come out of this.

Personnaly I'm a little worried about the Habs' thin prospect pool at defense. Most of the d-men at prospect camps in the past years have been invitees.

If we didn't have Komi and Markov, I'd be worried...

(we also have Hainsey, O'byrne and Yemelin who might make the cut some day) But since we have them... I couldn't care less what position we draft

The other walk on/free agent players are all at least 20. Sebastien is still 18, and had better numbers than Luc Bourdon and Kris Letang with Val D'Or. He has decent size at 6-0, 205 pounds, and if the game opens up, could be a great prospect.

Bourdon was -39 last year, with 32 points. Bisaillon was -12 with 48 points. Bourdon went top 10 in the draft and there is only a couple of months difference in their age.

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

I was just looking this over on http://www.canadiens.com our hockey shrine away from this hockey shrine.  I am drooling over what kind of goalie Carey Price will turn out to be under Roland Melanson's guidance.  I have read so much about our forwards it is going to be fun to see how he develops.  :hlogo:

I love using the HABS logo!

Price has already been coached for a year by Olaf Kolzig. Based on career performance, Melanscon should just leave Carey alone. Rollie wasn't exactly a Hall of Fame goaltender.

Originally posted by beckham

I love using the HABS logo!

Price has already been coached for a year by Olaf Kolzig. Based on career performance, Melanscon should just leave Carey alone. Rollie wasn't exactly a Hall of Fame goaltender.

Shows what you know. Melanson turned a 2nd round goalie into a Hart & Vezina winner. :bow: Imagine what he could do with Price.

in don't know if you know this one but FYI, price is a cousin of a guy that winnipeg stole us in the 96 draft : shane doan.

as for our D, I know we're short of prospect but people seem to forget about Archer who could turn out to be a very dependable 4th or 5th Defenseman in MTL

]

Shows what you know. Melanson turned a 2nd round goalie into a Hart & Vezina winner. :bow: Imagine what he could do with Price. Seems to me that Theodore was a good goaltender long before he met Melanson. Played twice at the WJC and was top netminder the second time around, as I recall. Tomas Vokoun was a 10th rounder, went to another team and has turned out to be at least as good as Theodore. So I don't think it has much to do with Melanson.

" Price has already been coached for a year by Olaf Kolzig. Based on career performance, Melanscon should just leave Carey alone. Rollie wasn't exactly a Hall of Fame goaltender."

beckham when you make comments like this you should not contradict yourself. If Price like Theo is already great, what did Godzilla have to do with anything?

Godzilla has done nothing for washington, Playoffs 20W 24L and 2.14 GAA from what I remember. A very good goalie but not someone I consider has done anything in his career yet.

If a goalie is great nobody is going to make him better if I read your comments right. This would make me in 100% agreement with you. Older goalies can show him how forwards cheat and how to protect yourself when guys like Tie Dummy crash the net. (Hey he is a Leaf and is still young compared to others on the team) :)

]

Shows what you know. Melanson turned a 2nd round goalie into a Hart & Vezina winner. :bow: Imagine what he could do with Price.

Seems to me that Theodore was a good goaltender long before he met Melanson. Played twice at the WJC and was top netminder the second time around, as I recall. Tomas Vokoun was a 10th rounder, went to another team and has turned out to be at least as good as Theodore. So I don't think it has much to do with Melanson.

Price could also play in the WJC and have a similar or better resume than Theo by the time he gets to Melanson, if he helped Theo to the next level why would he not help Price? Your saying he should leave Price alone even though he helped Theo and he turned out great?

Beckham, stick to soccer. You make yourself sound dumb. You contradicted yourself and you make no sense. Price will be taught the game by Melanson or whomever is in that position because that is the way it is. Roy was taught by Allaire and Allaire was no great goaltender. Please think before you write !!

Price is the same type of goaltender as Kolzig. Melanson was a shorty like Theodore, but not as good. I think that Price would benefit much more from Kolzig's coaching, to whatever extent he might need it. Leave the kid alone as much as possible. I don't buy this "Melanson/Allaire/? 'made' anyone into a good goaltender". If Theodore or Roy has to play for Nashville like Tomas Vokoun, they wouldn't have had numbers that were any better. As it is, Vokoun's career average is pretty close. Melanson and Allaire coached a lot of other first rounders like Mathieu Chouinard, Patrick DesRochers, Marc Denis, Mathieu Biron, Pascal Leclaire, etc. who have really done nothing.

Despite Rollie Melanson's 3.63 career GAA he has some things to be proud of from his career including 3 Stanley Cup rings.

-Named to Ontario Hockey Association All-Star Second Team, 1978-79.

-Named to Central Hockey League All-Star First Team, 1980-81.

-Member, Stanley Cup Champion New York Islanders, 1981.

-Winner, Ken McKenzie Trophy (CHL Rookie of the Year), 1980-81.

-Member, Stanley Cup Champion New York Islanders, 1982.

-Member, Stanley Cup Champion New York Islanders, 1983.

-Named to National Hockey League All-Star Second Team, 1982-83.

-Shared (with Billy Smith) William M. Jennings Trophy, 1982-83.

-Named Los Angeles Kings' Most Valuable Player (media vote), 1986-87.

-Winner, Los Angeles Kings' Unsung Hero Award, 1986-87

But anyway, his career has nothing to do with how good a coach he'll be. Besides Larry Robinson name 1 coach who was a great NHL player. Melanson is a great goalie coach. Why do you have to bash anyone that stats go against?

Bulis_the_Habbie good post. I didnt remember him being with the ISLES.:clap::clap::clap:

beckham, I see your point and it does make sense that a goalie of equal size and equivalent style would be a good mentor. Makes sense to me now. What I have is total confusion I hope you can help with. When did Olaf become a coach and when did he coach Price? This is where you lost me.....:?-

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

But anyway, his career has nothing to do with how good a coach he'll be. Besides Larry Robinson name 1 coach who was a great NHL player.

Okay I am going to have to name Toe Blake (2nd best coach ever?) and Jacques Lemaire. :)

However, I do think that playing skill is not a requirement for a good coach. In fact as a coach and teacher, I would say the opposite is true. It is much easier to teach/coach a skill that you struggled with compared to something that came easily. For this reason I think Gretzky may struggle as a coach. Of course, there are lots of factors that go into being a good coach and Wayne may have these other skills.

'' Leave the kid alone as much as possible '', BECHAM.

This is exacly the opposite of what Brodeur as said lately concerning the reasons why hight quality goaltenders keep emerging from the province of Quebec.

Price is the same type of goaltender as Kolzig. Melanson was a shorty like Theodore, but not as good. I think that Price would benefit much more from Kolzig's coaching, to whatever extent he might need it. Leave the kid alone as much as possible. I don't buy this "Melanson/Allaire/? 'made' anyone into a good goaltender". If Theodore or Roy has to play for Nashville like Tomas Vokoun, they wouldn't have had numbers that were any better. As it is, Vokoun's career average is pretty close. Melanson and Allaire coached a lot of other first rounders like Mathieu Chouinard, Patrick DesRochers, Marc Denis, Mathieu Biron, Pascal Leclaire, etc. who have really done nothing.

You tried to argue that Melanson didnt thaught anything to Theo because Theo was already a good junior goalie.

Now you try to add that Melanson isnt good because he coached a bunch of kids and they did nothing impressive in the NHL so far. Problem is: all the names you mentionned were as good if not better junior goalies than Theodore.

If you're going to argue something based on a logical fallacy, at least stick to it. Dont switch to another logical fallacy in mid-arguement.

Besides... Where have you took that Melanson taught Chouinard, DesRochers, Denis, Biron and Leclaire? Melanson is the Habs goalie coach. Last time I checked, none of those goalies were ever in the Habs system. Unless you consider that a 2-weeks stint at 14 yrs old in a summer goalie hockey school is equivalent to "be coached by".

Price is the same type of goaltender as Kolzig. Melanson was a shorty like Theodore, but not as good.

Yet another logical fallacy.

So goalie coaches can only teach goalies who are the same built?

How about this instead: if Melanson was short, and did a good job teaching a short goalie, than he should achieve even more teaching an even bigger goalie.

Either way is bullcrap. Junior goalies are always very raw. They need to learn and refine technique to really make an impact in the pros. That's why most goalies only become dominant in their mid-20's. That's how much time it takes to assimilate and execute all the very complex technical subtleties of goaltending. This isnt the 80's anymore. Just pick up a copy of "Goalies' World" and you'll see all that goes into goalie's technique.

Again, saying that Price should be left alone is one of the dumbest thing one could ever say. At least you should have the honesty of admitting you were wrong rather than keep reaching for straws.

[Edited on 2-9-2005 by ap79]

Carey Price's father was a goaltender. Carey was excellant in the midget ranks and was the highest goaltender taken in the WHL draft since Dan Blackburn. He went on to win the starting job in Tri Cities as a 16 year old over a 19 year old who was on the Candian U18 team and has since become the top goalie and MVP of the Central Pro League. Last season Carey was coached several times per week by Olaf Kolzig who is one of the top handful of goaltenders in the NHL at the moment and has had a long distinguished career. Price had an excellant season as a 17 year old in the WHL (where statistically the best NHL goaltenders originate), and led the league in playoff save %. Now you're going to have some coach come along and "teach him how to play the position"?:?-

That was how they screwed Komisarek's development. They had to pull him out of Michigan (where he had one of the top two or three coaches in the world in Red Berenson) two years early and send him to play for a second rate minor league hacks like Therrien and Julien.

Leave Price alone and they will be much better off. He is a smart kid and a terrific natural athlete. I'm sure that he can call Kolzig at any time and that his father will be watching his progress.

Time to drop the myth about F.C. goaltenders. The rest of the world has. Fleury has been a choker and is on his way to being a dud. Pitt brought in Jocelyn Thibault which gives you some indication what they think of Fleury. Deslauriers and Daigneault sucked in the AHL compared to Lehtonen and Cam Ward, last season. Leclaire couldn't carry Dan Blackburn's equipment if Blackburn was still healthy. Leclaire is even more psychologcally fragile than Fleury and Deslauriers. Maxime Ouellet tanked last season in the AHL and is unlikely to become an NHL goaltender. Mathieu Chouinard was a fat stupid joke who is probably in the Quebec Senior League by now. The best goaltender propects in the AHL were Cam Ward, Kari Lehtonen, Hannu Toivonen, Ryan Miller, etc. Even Andy Chiodo who took over when Fleury choked up in the playoffs again for Wilkes-Barre, is a better prospect, I think.

[Edited on 2005/9/2 by beckham]

Time to drop the myth about F.C. goaltenders. The rest of the world has. Fleury has been a choker and is on his way to being a dud. Pitt brought in Jocelyn Thibault which gives you some indication what they think of Fleury. Deslauriers and Daigneault sucked in the AHL compared to Lehtonen and Cam Ward, last season. Leclaire couldn't carry Dan Blackburn's equipment if Blackburn was still healthy. Leclaire is even more psychologcally fragile than Fleury and Deslauriers. Maxime Ouellet tanked last season in the AHL and is unlikely to become an NHL goaltender. Mathieu Chouinard was a fat stupid joke who is probably in the Quebec Senior League by now. The best goaltender propects in the AHL were Cam Ward, Kari Lehtonen, Hannu Toivonen, Ryan Miller, etc. Even Andy Chiodo who took over when Fleury choked up in the playoffs again for Wilkes-Barre, is a better prospect, I think.

[Edited on 2005/9/2 by beckham]

What does that has to do with the rest of this thread? Hint: absolutely nothing.

Again, you're being proven wrong, so you wander off-topic on one of your ritualistic anti-Quebec tangent.

Sorry beckham, but you've been PWNED!

WoW, you guys keep beckham on his toes. He does make some good points but there are contradictions I will never agree with. Olaf has never done anything! PERIOD. He had one good year and that is it. His low GAA over his career is due to good "Defense" in Washington as they had lots of clutch and grabbers that slowed the opposition down. His playoff stats are OK nothing special and no games are memorable.

Guys like Patrick Roy and Jose Theodore have driven their teams to success when none should have been found. I agree with beckham that Fluery is destined to fail because the Pens are all about offense.

At least Montreal drafts some defensive defenseman to help. The contradictions that still remain are that beckham states Carey's father the coach and Olaf the coach are better than Montreal's coaching system. Wrong! What have they done to warrant this much trust? He is correct that coaching can ruin players and I have had that in the back of my mond with Montreal's farm system in the past.

Fathers are torture on kids, go to games and watch as it is sad. I coached girls softball for 5 years and the parents were not up to the task of being parents. (I know not the same, but parents can be tough)

I will not throw everything beckham says out the window as he does bring up good points for us to argue about.