Contracts Around the NHL

BTH

Washington: Ovechkin, 3-years

Washington: Bryan Muir

Vancouver: Ohlund (late, but no one said anything on this re-signing)

Pavel Datsyuk has declined the 5-year deal the Wings have offered him. Datsyuk is reportedly looking for a one or two year deal to become a UFA in 2007.

Is it just me or are some teams going to pay for these long contracts starting next year? Consider this, teams are dropping prices on some tickets. This equates to less revenues next year, thus the cap coming down. Forget the big market teams they always sell out so this is just a push compared to next years revenues.

Does anyone really think Atlanta, Florida and Pheonix are going to have great attendance? If the Habs can keep a few 1 year contracts going again next year, our team should be able to compete for very good free agents or keep their talented young guys over the next few years.

Locking up everyone for 3 to 5 years should not be the plan. I think teams like the Flyers are going to really pay if these slow defenceman dont work out for them over the next year.

Originally posted by Trizzak

I was surprised Dave Andreychuk decided to resign with the Lightning for 2 years.

I thought he would retire.

I was surprised that Tampa wanted to re-sign him. He's key to their success but they don't need him like they did last year. They don't have cap room and it's a surprising move that they'd use up their cap space no a guy like Andreychuk.

All the small market teams who are spending big time are counting on there payrolls being scaled back at the end of the year. Don't forget, if NHL salaries take up more than 54% of league revenue, then every players salary this year is scaled back untill the 54% is reached. So teams with a 35mil payroll might end up only paying 32mil, etc. On a differnt note, TSN reports that the Redwings are nowhere close to signing Datsuk or Zetterberg...they have 7mil of payroll to sign 4 or 5 players...looks like a trade will be happening there....for one or both of those guys, probably in exchange for cheaper young guys.

It's strange how the Wings always get one of the lowest picks and still end up with great prospects.

I don't know who the other players are but they can only hope to keep one of Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Too bad. I like the Wings and it helps us to have 3 or 4 teams suck up all the good players (like in the old CBA) and leave the rest weak rather than have 5 new teams than have potential to beat us but all the others are still great.

Bulis_the_Habbie makes a good point here. How does teams like Detroit draft guys that other teams always want? I think scouting has to be the most important part of sports. More so than the GM who makes the call. Detroit, Colorado and even Philly now have a good system. What does everyone think of Montreal's? I have had no faith in it until Bob Gainey took over the team. I hope this can be rectified as it is the lifeblood of the team. Price was the best pick for us and I hope this is a start of the new Montreal. I really liked our second pick too!

It seems to me Howie_morenz is on to something. In this new world order, longer-term (2-4+ year) contracts are going to be handed out only to higher-end talent. A lot of the mid to lower end guys can probaly expect a more risk-averse market whereby they will have to survive on one year contracts every year.

It may not be that way yet, but wait and see, these teams will tighten the purse strings on some of these players in the next couple of years.

It may mean that player movement becomes a bit more of the norm, as we have seen this pre-season.

Works for me. In my own little world of course:)

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

Bulis_the_Habbie makes a good point here. How does teams like Detroit draft guys that other teams always want? I think scouting has to be the most important part of sports. More so than the GM who makes the call. Detroit, Colorado and even Philly now have a good system. What does everyone think of Montreal's? I have had no faith in it until Bob Gainey took over the team. I hope this can be rectified as it is the lifeblood of the team. Price was the best pick for us and I hope this is a start of the new Montreal. I really liked our second pick too!

A good team gets it's players by a) drafting and B) trading. Assuming you make pretty fair trades you need good players to trade for the new players. Which means your team must be drafted. Horrible teams take 6 or 7 years until they become great teams. That's the rule. After bombing the league your top-end draft choices pile up.

I was looking at Colorado/Quebec's drafts over the past decade or so and they got some good players even with low draft picks. First Quebec had 3 straight 1st overalls: Sundin, Nolan and Lindros. As we all know, the Lindros trade brought them Forsberg and a bunch of other players. Chris Drury was chosen in a middle round (171 overall), Adam Foote in the second round, Tanguay 12th overall, and Deadmarsh quite high up too.

I also had fun looking at all the players the Habs missed over a player that never made the NHL. It's painful.

[Edited on 2005/9/4 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

Here's a great one!

Thefourthperiod.com reports that the 'New York Newsday' reports that the Islanders have offered Rick DiPietro a 15-year, 67 million dollar contract (4.5 million per year).

If it's true and it could have been done, then this would have looked like another Mike-Milbury-he-did-what? move.

DiPietro would have had better be really good over the long haul because this could have become another Yashin-like move - not as much money committed but locked up for a long time - hypothetically 10% of a salary cap lost for 15 years... yuck.

But another thing I like is the third-handedness of the 'report' but I suppose that's normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Habs re-sign Michael Ryder

Florida re-signs Olli Jokinen

Florida re-signs Jay Boumesster (1 year/950K)

NYI re-signs Mark Parrish (1 year/ 1.9M)

St. Louis signs Scott Young (1 year/ 750K)

Atlanta signs Peter Bondra

Preds sign Yanic Perreault (almost)

Al Macinnis retires

Vincent Damphousse retires

Scott Stevens retires

Mark Messier retires

James Patrick retires

Trent Klatt retires

That's it for now.

[Edited on 2005/9/13 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

[Edited on 2005/9/13 by Bulis_the_Habbie]