Habs sign Theo to a 3 year deal

Rooster

Financial info hasn't been released. I was hoping for a 3 year deal. Anything longer would have been too risky under a cap system. This way they have secured a top goalie for at least 3 years and will re-evaluate their needs at that time. Maybe a guy like Price will be ready to step in at that time at a much lower price (no pun intended).

I'm guessing he didn't come cheap. Probably in the 5.5M range (maybe even a bit more). I think that would be the price to pay to get him on a three year deal, which would have been the Habs preference. I think that's acceptable as doing a longer deal would have been the greater risk. But what do I know, maybe Bob got him at a better price (which would be quite to Bob's credit).

Finally. With Theo and Kovalev here to stay for the next few years, it looks like the habs can start rebuilding their team.

I really hope it was at a good deal.

I am very pleased to hear Theo is locked up for three more years. I agree with everyone else here and feel 3 years is the ideal length. This allows the habs to lock up one of the top 5 goalies in the league for 3 more years and allows BG to evaluate the goaltending situation in the next couple of years, especially the progress of the young tenders comming through the HABS system. This was a great signing by BG and I think this solidifies the HABS as a top 6 team in the eastern conference. Lets get Ryder signed and get the season started. GO HABS GO!!!!

Finally, been waiting on this one for too long. Glad the deal has been finalized. Looking forward to having Theo in nets for the next three years.

When you think about the depth we have at goal right now, we should definitly have a respectable back-up by that time as well, who'll almost be ready to start pressing for that starting role.

So this leaves Ryder as the only big guy left to get signed. I'm sure almost all of Bob Gainey's attention will be on that issue now.

I too am glad to hear this. Jose is the face of our team. I know there are other fabulous players on the team. The upside of Jose having three great years in the new NHL gives us a chance to win the cup. I think Montreal is going to dissapoint some teams in our division that do not make the playoffs. We are goalie rich with Huet, Price, Danis, Hedburg.. wow the list goes on if these guys become NHL calibre!

Go :hlogo: Go

@ Howie_Morenz

Hedberg is an old Pitts/Vancouver goalie (don't know where we go now).

Our young guy is actually name Christopher Heino-Lindberg. (Easy to confuse, I actually had to look it up myself to get the right spelling. Hehe)

[Edited on 2/9/05 by Macaskill]

Excellent news, I'm fine with 3 years, and the rumoured $ amount seems alright.

Now lets get something done with Ryder asap (and by something I mean signing or TRADING him... or else he's just a wasted asset). I'd prefer for him to stay, but hey explore all options.

[Edited on 2005-9-2 by puck7x]

It's good to hear that Theodore is on board. I personally think that 3 year contracts are the way to go. Anything more is too long, as a lot can change over the course of one season, sometimes even less than a season.

Now, only Ryder is left to sign. Fortunately, Ryan Malone was just signed the other day, but I haven't heard what the terms of his contract are worth.for one year at $750K. I'm sure that Ryder will settle for a figure between that and the $1M Trent Hunter received.

Originally posted by Habby1197

Theodore got 16 over 3 years.

4.5 this year

5.5 next year

6 in the final year of the contract.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/187032.html

[Edited on 2005/9/3 by Habby1197]

So what does that do to our cap room?

Isn't it the average overall, rather than 4.5 this year, 5.5 the next, etc etc?

Originally posted by Trizzak
Originally posted by Habby1197

Theodore got 16 over 3 years.

4.5 this year

5.5 next year

6 in the final year of the contract.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/187032.html

So what does that do to our cap room?

Isn't it the average overall, rather than 4.5 this year, 5.5 the next, etc etc?

http://www.ofeliamateescu.com/alin/nhl/can...anadienscap.asp

Where the site gets it's numbers I don't know, but it looks like the Habs are at 34,368,933, with 4,631,067 to spare.

That site is wrong... They have Theodore at 5.33 this year and not 4.5.

These are the correct figures.

32,945,800$

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/Montreal.html

So we have about 6 million left in cap room, Ryder will be around 1 million and I think we'll have to sign Perezhogin too, he'll cost at least 800K. We should start the season with a cap of 35 million... giving us room to breathe for trades and UFA season 2006.

Averaged it out? The contract calls for:

4.5 million in 2005-2006

5.5 million in 2006-2007

6 million in 2007-2008

No contract is averaged out if the amounts are different over the years. What his salary is in 2007 has nothing to do with the 2005 cap.

Trizzak is accurate. The contracts are averaged out over the years of the contract.

Therefore, 16 M$ over 3 years gives 5.33 M$/year, which is the amount that counts for the cap, eventhough the Habs will only pay him 4.5 M$ this year.

This is to prevent from boosting a club in one year. For example, signing a good player for 2 years, paying him 2 M$ the 1st year and 8 M$ the 2nd year.