Habs sign Theo to a 3 year deal

Rooster

Well, that's good. One more to go (Ryder) and, maybe, Perezhogin (if he decides to come over) and we're all set for training camp.

I'm enjoying this a lot.

Oh, by the way, in my school, the vice-principal is a Leafs fan (and a French-Canadian, no less) and the grade 8 teacher is a Leafs fan too (he's une tête-carrée anyways). So it looked like I was outnumbered again BUT a new teacher came in on staff and GLORY ALLELUIA! he saw the T-shirt I was wearing today and he said: "I see that you have good taste in your choice in hockey teams (and he's une tête-carrée too) so now we're even stevens. Should make for some fun banter this year.

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

I TOLD U GUYS!!! theo is here to STAY and WIN ;)

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

now... hope we'll sign ryder soon soon~ i read in *la presse* few weeks ago that he wants a short term contract (like 1 year :S)

Originally posted by Komisarek the Cruncher

Trizzak is accurate. The contracts are averaged out over the years of the contract.

Therefore, 16 M$ over 3 years gives 5.33 M$/year, which is the amount that counts for the cap, eventhough the Habs will only pay him 4.5 M$ this year.

This is to prevent from boosting a club in one year. For example, signing a good player for 2 years, paying him 2 M$ the 1st year and 8 M$ the 2nd year.

Does anyone know how this works with respect to trades? For example, with Theodore he will cost us $5.33 million against the cap for each of the next 3 years but in 2007-2008 we will be paying him $6 million. If we trade at the beginning of the 07-08 season him his new team will have to pay him $6 million but am I right in presuming they will have to charge the whole $6 million against their cap?

Just heard the news... it seems everytime I'm away from the Internet for a few days interesting things are happening. Thank God we won't have to endure a season full of discontented goalie rumours. Can we finally put away those stupid Florida rumours? Wait...this just in... Keenan offers Boumeester for Ryder and a 2nd round pick:)

Originally posted by Peter Puck
Originally posted by Komisarek the Cruncher

Trizzak is accurate. The contracts are averaged out over the years of the contract.

Therefore, 16 M$ over 3 years gives 5.33 M$/year, which is the amount that counts for the cap, eventhough the Habs will only pay him 4.5 M$ this year.

This is to prevent from boosting a club in one year. For example, signing a good player for 2 years, paying him 2 M$ the 1st year and 8 M$ the 2nd year.

Does anyone know how this works with respect to trades? For example, with Theodore he will cost us $5.33 million against the cap for each of the next 3 years but in 2007-2008 we will be paying him $6 million. If we trade at the beginning of the 07-08 season him his new team will have to pay him $6 million but am I right in presuming they will have to charge the whole $6 million against their cap?

Actually, I think not. It would go against the spirit of the rule.

For those who are wondering, the "averaging" rule is there in order to prevent GMs from fiddling with their cap.

If you don't average, you can sign Theodore for 16 mil/3 yrs at:

Yr 1 : 7.5 mil

Yr 2 : 7.5 mil

Yr 3: 1 mil

While it would be a weird setup and it would allow you to take the brunt of the costs for the first 2 yrs and let you sign a couple of big free agents in anticipation of yr 3 (you charge 1 mil against your cap and load the free space with mercenaries).

Lets say you do average it up (5.3 mil/yr) and trade him before yr 3 to Tampa Bay.

Letting TB assume only the rest of the contract (1 mil) would be a strong advantage in a trade.

As a matter of fact, you can seriously screw the system up because you only took 5.3 mil against your cap for the first 2 yrs and you are trading this guy to another team at 1 mil against THEIR cap for the 3rd year. All in all, only 11.6 out of 16 mil would be accounted for.

The logical assumption would be for the contract to be averaged out as a "package" for the entire lenght of the binding agreement.

So, Theo is costing 5.333 against anybody's cap for the 3 yrs of his contract, regardless of trades or the actual distribution of sums.

At least, its how I understand it!

:D

Originally posted by Dutch_Habs_Fan

Jose Theodore $4,500,000.00 G

TOTAL PAYROLL $32,945,800.00

So fourtperiod is wrong (Yes Hannes you were right in that site ;)

I know ... :D

Anyways, great signing ... awesome that the HABS have secured one of the better goalies in the league for the next 3 years! :/)

Originally posted by shortcat1

Well, that's good. One more to go (Ryder) and, maybe, Perezhogin (if he decides to come over) and we're all set for training camp.

Perezhogin still has a contract for this season, so no need to re-sign him at the moment.

It's all up to Ryder right now but I've a feeling that he could be the guy leaving soon if he's only accepting a one year contract ...

Macaskill, you are correct I was thinking Lindberg but a brain cramp came up and I went back to the older Penguins days.:guru: I also remember some of my favorite players in the past Peter Lee and Rod Shutt on the Pens. Not great players but hard working guys who tried to make that team respectable. I am hoping with Jose signing Mr. Ryder takes the plunge and gives the Habs a chance to sign him. If it is onlyone year so be it. I want him to stay, however this new free agent NHL CBA will enable us to get someone of his capabilities next season. The big news is JOSE's Back!

Go :hlogo: Go

completely off-topic, but where is johan nowadays? I know he was backing up cloutier in vancouver last season... burke yelling about johan the terrible in the playoffs. Did johan pack it in, or did he land somewhere?

Nice!!!

And the amount, though still ridiculously high in terms of the "regular joe" doesn't make my head spin. 3 years is the perfect length in the new world order. Looks like BG has improved his bargaining and negotiation skills over the years. Which doesn't surprise me one bit!

And now Ryder. What oh what is happening there. I just hope he's not out for something crazy high, nor that he just wants out of Montreal after 1 more year 'cause he used to be a Leafs fan.

I know, it's silly but i still hate Kevin Haller for some of the things he said about Les Glorieux after he played there.

That would be hard to swallow...

Theo's salary towards the cap is 5.333M

Too busy right now to find back the actual source, but I've read it 2-3 times on every big hockey website that you have to take the average per year (16/3=5.333) and not what is said to be paid in each year (4.5, 5.5, 6)