NCAA and unsigned drafts (potential free agents)

alfredoh2009

I've been going through some of the unsigned drafted players and NCAA free agents; I was wondering if there are any players worth discussing.

For example Luke Henman, who played for Joel Bouchard with the Armada and whom may be available:

Edited by alfredoh2009
updated title

Another one may be Xavier Bernard, whom Commander had as high at #74 in 2018.

He may be an upgrade on G.Olofsson, Leskinen, Culkin and McEneny ?

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/06/15/xavier-bernard-scouting-report-2018-nhl-draft/

I went through that list Commandant, thanks for making these available.. good stuff for potato heads like me ;)

I was looking for LDs that may help the CH, Paschinuk seems to be high on many lists. I do not know how to interpret the fact he wasn't drafted, that he he was not picked up as an overager in 2018 and that he is still unsigned. Why are 31 teams still passing on him ?

I was also looking for RWs, but couldn't find any clear-cut gems. 

In my view, these physical/energy players with some offensive skills may help Laval:

Wade Allison,      RW, #52'16

Curtis Douglas,   LC,  #106'18

Riley Stotts,         LC,   #83'18

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I went through that list Commandant, thanks for making these available.. good stuff for potato heads like me ;)

I was looking for LDs that may help the CH, Paschinuk seems to be high on many lists. I do not know how to interpret the fact he wasn't drafted, that he he was not picked up as an overager in 2018 and that he is still unsigned. Why are 31 teams still passing on him ?

Sometimes players bloom late so they go undrafted.  Panarin was undrafted. Tyler Bozak has had a nice career for an NCAA free agent. Andy MacDonald was a top 6 centre on a Cup Winning team after being an NCAA free agent.  Torey Krug, Chris Kunitz, Dustin Penner.

As for now, its not that teams keep passing on him, its that he chooses to keep staying in school.  He can't return to school if he signs, once he does that he's out. 

That said, don't expect big things from these guys..... 40 or so sign every year.  10-15 end up as ECHLers for life 20-25 end up as productive AHL players. 4-5 make it to the NHL at some point in their careers (usually in the bottom 6 forwards, or bottom pair D) ... and every once in a while, one of them becomes a top 6 forward or top 4 D.   It happens but its rare. 

Still these are prospects that cost nothing but a little money and a contract slot to acquire. 

Got it!

I would be looking to replace 5'9"-5'11" speedy FWs playing in the bottom line in Laval with 6'1"-6'3" speedy FWs; replace a couple from Sturtz, Lucchini, Alain. Pelletier, Verbeek

It would be nice to see a few guys in Laval that can play a physical game and produce offensively; at least at the level of a 3rd/4th AHL line. 

7 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I was also looking for RWs, but couldn't find any clear-cut gems. 

In my view, these physical/energy players with some offensive skills may help Laval:

Wade Allison,      RW, #52'16

Curtis Douglas,   LC,  #106'18

Riley Stotts,         LC,   #83'18

You don't want Douglas.  Trust me.  He got his goals in junior by being bigger and stronger than everyone else and still couldn't manage a point per game.  That doesn't translate to the pros.  He'll be an ECHL guy if someone signs him.

7 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Pasichnuk had about 20 suitors and has whittled that down to two.  It sounds like he's still holding out hope for the season resuming to burn an ELC year right away so it may take a while for him to sign.

After Perunovich agreed to two separate contracts with St. Louis, it was only a matter of time before someone else followed suit.  Pasichnuk has agreed to terms with San Jose on two separate contracts depending on whether or not the season resumes.

• 3 months later...

I missed this earlier last month. Henman will re-entry the draft and if he goes undrafted again I woul dnot be surprised he is invited to Laval just because of the connection to Blainville-Boisbriand

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ben-Shelley/SHORT-READ-Hurricanes-opt-not-to-sign-Luke-Henman/274/105884

• 9 months later...

happy for Luke Henman

Most have already signed, especially the best ones. 

If you can't get the absolute top guys, its not worth it for a team like the Habs who have 50 contract limit problems in signing their own draft picks already.  (see our conversations on Ikonen).

If you could get a kierstad, sure, get him.  But he's already signed with the Panthers so that ship has sailed.  Further down the list, meh.

Usually less than 5 of these College prospects a year become regular NHLers and most that do are as bottom-6 forwards and bottom pair D.  The chance of getting meaningful contributors from the 20th best NCAA UFA is rare.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Most have already signed, especially the best ones. 

If you can't get the absolute top guys, its not worth it for a team like the Habs who have 50 contract limit problems in signing their own draft picks already.  (see our conversations on Ikonen).

If you could get a kierstad, sure, get him.  But he's already signed with the Panthers so that ship has sailed.  Further down the list, meh.

Usually less than 5 of these College prospects a year become regular NHLers and most that do are as bottom-6 forwards and bottom pair D.  The chance of getting meaningful contributors from the 20th best NCAA UFA is rare.

Thank !