Your top 5 players who got you to love hockey?

Habsfan89

Ok getting bored here, so what's everyone's top 5 players that got them to love and watch hockey as a kid ? For me growing up I am a 80's/90's kid, so here are my top five.

1) Gretzky--- from the first time I watched him I became a fan

2) Roy --- the reason I am a habs fan today

3) Al Macinnis---- would never miss the hardest shot competition when he was in it.

4) Russ Courtnall ---- loved watching him play and was so happy when he became a hab.

5) Vincent Damphousse--- again loved watching him play and was also happy when he became a hab.

That's my 5 what's everyone else's 

• Like 1

Starting watching in the 70’s:

1. Ken Dryden

2. Guy Lafleur 

3. Larry Robinson

4. Bob Gainey

5. The one that got away - a very young Denis Savard and his spinorammas 

many more after that, but those are the ones that I loved as a kid

Great topic, started watching in the mid 60's. If I had to pick 5 it would be:

1) Jean Beliveau - such grace and class

2) Yvan Cournoyer - loved watching the roadrunner

3) Guy Lafleur - I will never forget the key goal he scored with a minute to go to tie Boston in game 7, I can still see it

4) Larry Robinson - one of my favourite moments was when he pounded the shit out of Dave Schultz during a brawl, always felt good when Big Bird was out there

5) Bob Gainey - such a class guy, tireless worker, great team guy

Honourable mention to many,  Serge Savard, Mario Tremblay, Mats Naslund, Knuckles Nilan, Ken Dryden, Doug Risebrough  etc etc 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Great topic, started watching in the mid 60's. If I had to pick 5 it would be:

1) Jean Beliveau - such grace and class

2) Yvan Cournoyer - loved watching the roadrunner

3) Guy Lafleur - I will never forget the key goal he scored with a minute to go to tie Boston in game 7, I can still see it

4) Larry Robinson - one of my favourite moments was when he pounded the shit out of Dave Schultz during a brawl, always felt good when Big Bird was out there

5) Bob Gainey - such a class guy, tireless worker, great team guy

Honourable mention to many,  Serge Savard, Mario Tremblay, Mats Naslund, Knuckles Nilan, Ken Dryden, Doug Risebrough  etc etc 

You mentioned the name of one guy who should forever be banned from every hab site - Mario Tremblay (unless its to insult or curse).  There should be a special place in hockey hell for him and Ronald Corey.

1) Guy Lafleur - my earliest memories of hockey are watching The Canadiens on TV with my dad, and Guy was still 'The Man'

2) Patrick Roy - an absolute wall in his prime...and the key to the two Stanley Cups I have experienced as a fan when I was old enough to appreciate them

3) Mario Lemieux - the best pure offensive weapon I have ever seen on the ice

4) Stephane Richer - a pure goalscorer with a big slapshot too...still waiting for a goalscorer of his caliber all these years later sadly

5) Guy Carbonneau - he was so damn good at killing penalties in his prime, I hardly felt nervous about being down a man when he was on the ice

I was aware mostly aware of Roy as a kid because my father was a Bruins fan and would loudly bemoan him any time Habs/Bruins got the national game. Nothing quite like my dad (gently) pushing me to like Bruins like Cam Neely only to see them get stoned by Saint Patrick moments later. Colorado eventually became my 2nd favourite team after The Trade til he retired. 

Other than that the players that really caught my focus were Guy Carbonneau, Kirk Muller, Pavel Bure, and Wayne Gretzky.

32 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I was aware mostly aware of Roy as a kid because my father was a Bruins fan and would loudly bemoan him any time Habs/Bruins got the national game. Nothing quite like my dad (gently) pushing me to like Bruins like Cam Neely only to see them get stoned by Saint Patrick moments later. Colorado eventually became my 2nd favourite team after The Trade til he retired. 

Other than that the players that really caught my focus were Guy Carbonneau, Kirk Muller, Pavel Bure, and Wayne Gretzky.

I think in the 90’s, Neely owned Roy in the playoffs. I remember watching an early 90’a playoff game and almost overturned the table at a pizza joint we were at when Neely scores the over-time winner in OT.  Until the 90’s the bruins could never beat the habs in the playoffs.  Than Moog, Neely and Bourque ended the bruins playoff futility against the habs. I absolutely hated Andy friggin moog.  He was the reason the oilers beat us in the playoffs in the early 80’s in their first or second year in the league.  They didn’t have the habs-oilers playoff game broadcast in Calgary in the CBC (had the flames), so I listened to each game on the French CBC radio Canada. The only French I knew was el lans, el le but, be arraie.   All I remember is hearing what I thought was “Handy Moog” again and again and though it meant great save by Moog.

18 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think in the 90’s, Neely owned Roy in the playoffs. I remember watching an early 90’a playoff game and almost overturned the table at a pizza joint we were at when Neely scores the over-time winner in OT.  Until the 90’s the bruins could never beat the habs in the playoffs.  Than Moog, Neely and Bourque ended the bruins playoff futility against the habs. I absolutely hated Andy friggin moog.  He was the reason the oilers beat us in the playoffs in the early 80’s in their first or second year in the league.  They didn’t have the habs-oilers playoff game broadcast in Calgary in the CBC (had the flames), so I listened to each game on the French CBC radio Canada. The only French I knew was el lans, el le but, be arraie.   All I remember is hearing what I thought was “Handy Moog” again and again and though it meant great save by Moog.

The first Bruins playoff win in 45 years against the Habs was in 1988.  

The Habs beat them in 1989

The Bruins would beat them in the next four meetings... 1990, 1991, 1992, and 1994. 

The Habs wouldn't get a series win over Boston in the 90s, taking the next series in 2002, then in 2004, and 2009, before losing in 2011, and winning again in 2014.

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

You mentioned the name of one guy who should forever be banned from every hab site - Mario Tremblay (unless its to insult or curse).  There should be a special place in hockey hell for him and Ronald Corey.

I am talking Mario Tremblay the player, not the coach. Loved him as a player and that's what the question was. 

21 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The first Bruins playoff win in 45 years against the Habs was in 1988.  

The Habs beat them in 1989

The Bruins would beat them in the next four meetings... 1990, 1991, 1992, and 1994. 

The Habs wouldn't get a series win over Boston in the 90s, taking the next series in 2002, then in 2004, and 2009, before losing in 2011, and winning again in 2014.

I wouldn't have remembered 88. 89 would have been one of my first lasting memories. And the rest of the 90's don't matter when 93 happened :D

1. Guy Lafleur

2. Ken Dryden

3. Larry Robinson

4. Doug Jarvis

5. Pierre Mondou 

While I was a hockey fan in the 60s already, I don't think I saw a game -- any hockey game! -- on TV until the Sapporo Olympics in 1972. So, watching players really started in 1977 when we moved here.

1. Lafleur

2. Dryden

3. Gainey

4. Robinson

5. Savard

I could make two lists...

1) Mark Recchi 

2) Jaromir Jagr

3) Teemu Selanne 

4) Saku Koivu

5) Mike Modano 

1) Joe Sakic 

2) Wayne Gretzky 

3) Sergei Fedorov

4) Peter Forsberg 

5)  Pavel Bure

(Liked Theo Fleury and Doug Weight)

I come from the earliest of the dynasty times so as you see my list is a bit different than most here.

1) Jean Beliveau - the classiest gentleman whoever graced any playing field.  On every outdoor rink I ever skated on growing up in northern Ontario I dreamt that I was le Gros Bill

2) The Rocket - from the opposition's blueline in there has never been a force like he was. He had only one thing in his mind when he crossed that blueline - he was going to score, or die trying. The fire in his eyes said it all. He was a man possessed.

3) Doug Harvey - the best defenceman to ever play the game. He absolutely controlled the game every time he stepped on the ice. Such a sad and tragic story after he left the game. One of the game's greats should never have found himself in such a sad situation. He deserved better

4) Dickie Duff - my personal favourite hockey player. A true clutch goal scorer. He grew up not far up the road from my hometown. Named my first cat 'Duffie' after him

5) JC Tremblay - definitely deserves far more recognition than most give him. Slick player and a very smart player. His famous blooper shot was the best ((he'd flip the puck as high as he could from his own end and aim to have it drop just in front of the opposition goalie, hoping it bounced past him. He fooled a couple of goalies with that one.

I can remember trying to do that myself after I first saw him do it.  I'm sure his coaches may not have been as excited though)

When I look at that list I suddenly realize I'm ancient apparently (hahaha)

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I could make two lists...

1) Mark Recchi 

2) Jaromir Jagr

3) Teemu Selanne 

4) Saku Koivu

5) Mike Modano 

1) Joe Sakic 

2) Wayne Gretzky 

3) Sergei Fedorov

4) Peter Forsberg 

5)  Pavel Bure

(Liked Theo Fleury and Doug Weight)

Definitely a 30 to 40 years old guy.  Where the hell is Mario ???

50 minutes ago, beliveau1 said:

I come from the earliest of the dynasty times so as you see my list is a bit different than most here.

1) Jean Beliveau - the classiest gentleman whoever graced any playing field.  On every outdoor rink I ever skated on growing up in northern Ontario I dreamt that I was le Gros Bill

2) The Rocket - from the opposition's blueline in their has never been a force like he was. He had only one thing in his mind when he crossed that blueline - he was going to score, or die trying. The fire in his eyes said it all. He was a man possessed.

3) Doug Harvey - the best defenceman to ever play the game. He absolutely controlled the game every time he stepped on the ice. Such a sad and tragic story after he left the game. One of the game's greats should never have found himself in such a sad situation. He deserved better

4) Dickie Duff - my personal favourite hockey player. A true clutch goal scorer. He grew up not far up the road from my hometown. Named my first cat 'Duffie' after him

5) JC Tremblay - definitely deserves far more recognition than most give him. Slick player and a very smart player. His famous blooper shot was the best ((he'd flip the puck as high as he could from his own end and aim to have it drop just in front of the opposition goalie, hoping it bounced past him. He fooled a couple of goalies with that one.

I can remember trying to do that myself after I first saw him do it.  I'm sure his coaches may not have been as excited though)

When I look at that list I suddenly realize I'm ancient apparently (hahaha)

And I thought I was old.  LOL   I never saw Doug Harvey but my dad should talked a lot about him. 

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

And I thought I was old.  LOL   I never saw Doug Harvey but my dad should talked a lot about him. 

Nobody played the game the way Harvey did. He controlled every aspect of it. If he wanted to slow the pace down, he did. If he wanted to drive the offence he did. Harvey carried the puck well before Orr did, and he was just as good at it. He quarterbacked the powerplay and killed penalties as well as anyone I've seen. And he was better in his own end than Orr was. He wasn't as flashy as Orr, but he was smarter and less prone to turnovers. He was the smartest defenceman I ever saw - he didn't waste energy to execute a play. And there was a good chance that if he took a penalty - he'd find a way to take somebody to the box with him. He was slick when it came to that. Orr may have been a better rushing defenceman and he may have been flashier than Harvey, but he wasn't the complete package. Harvey was - and that makes him the better defenceman. I'd draft him first any day of the week and I know we'd have the best defence in the league.